Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2009 and still no mod

_Belisarius_'s Avatar Libertus

Default Re: 2009 and still no mod

Wait is all we have~
    "Gloria Romanorum"

I'd like to help if any way i could, "More hands makes less work." though.. I'm not too skilled at modding the game besides making a cool start of a campaign lol (Working with Desc files) but, i'm willing to learn! ^^

PM Hross or Alkidas if you want to help.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

So i guess my "spam/troll/useless" post got so many replies, some ppl offerered to help.
    Nothing is useless , everything has a meaning. Because you can't see the result of an action, it doesn't mean its useless ...
    and for gods sake i am not complaining about anything... i would be complaining if the team had specified a release date that didn't follow.
    The "its done when its done" is a double edged sword. It produces great results (see blizzard) but takes forever to complete, sometimes so long that noone cares about it anymore. Let me give you a "stupid" example for this.
    Lets say you are hungry and you stumbled upon a closed food store. You see the goods inside and your stomache is going upside down. You start waiting for the manager to open up the store so you can grab something to eat. You wait. You still wait. You keep on waiting. Your hunger is so big now that you start feeling weak. Then you notice another food store in the distance thats open.Eventually you end up eating there , thus satisfing your hunger and you finally move along doing other stuff.

So to my eyes , the "its done when its done" is translated: "Don't expect to be done.Go play something else and if you are still playing games when its done, then come and play..."

peace

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

I wouldnt agree with your thesis.
    This guys i mean the Dots team, are making quite a progress and they are informing for what they are doing.
    And generally most of the mods are done within reasonable time limits, and dont forget that they are kind enough to post them for free, so that all of as may enjoy the fruits of their hard work.

Only one mod is ridiculously delayed as far as i know, and this is hegemonia mod, i remember some previews almost 3 YEARS ago! This is the only example of extreme delay , even their models look old now..

maxstill's Avatar Semisalis

i'm not expecting DoTS in 2009, maybe 2010

yo finsh the mod take your time friends!
    the world can love you or kill you.

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Roger II View Post
    I have no problem waiting. I'm betting it will be worth it.
    That's right, it would definitely be worth the wait.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

As if a huge mod like this would be finished by 2009. I mean they haven't been working on it for THAT long, its only been like a month or two since the first preview was even released!

If I had lots of money, I would give it the mod leader of DotS and spread it evenly among all team members.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

youve got a point however this is non payed hobby and also would you rather have a full good mod which is great or a unfinished buggy mod

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Actually it is illegal for us to make a profit out of this, CA can sue us if you give us any money. PM me to find out a way to get round this with a little... loophole
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

SaDeR's Avatar Semisalis

They main reason ppl mod, or the main reason i like to mod is ppl like to see their creations being put into something. Or if you just want to mod for the entertainment of the ppl for something new and improved.

Also I think if ppl are going to plan these super mods, they shouldn't make a big thing about it so then ppl wont care as much when it comes out. But then when it is a month before release they could post all this stuff about the mod and ppl will be very excited that it will be coming out in only a month. So it was really like they didnt have to wait because they never really new that this great mod existed.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SaDeR View Post
    They main reason ppl mod, or the main reason i like to mod is ppl like to see their creations being put into something. Or if you just want to mod for the entertainment of the ppl for something new and improved.

Also I think if ppl are going to plan these super mods, they shouldn't make a big thing about it so then ppl wont care as much when it comes out. But then when it is a month before release they could post all this stuff about the mod and ppl will be very excited that it will be coming out in only a month. So it was really like they didnt have to wait because they never really new that this great mod existed.
    I doubt it would be very exciting for the team to do loads of work for over a year without it being announced - I take it people working that hard need a lot of motivation.

SaDeR's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    I doubt it would be very exciting for the team to do loads of work for over a year without it being announced - I take it people working that hard need a lot of motivation.
    Yeah well each way has its pros in cons. I just wanted to play this mod so bad and it will probably be out after etw and I will be hooked on modding and playing etw and I won't forget about med2 it just I want have a chance to pay attention to it.

ETW will be definitely out before DotS, but as M2TW, it will be dreadfully buggy... M2TW took year before it was barely moddable (and for us modders vanilla is nowhere near playable still) and I doubt ETW will take anytime shorter. Just remember how long we waited for patch 1.3! Plus ETW is not even competition as it is about completely different period. Any mod aiming to use ETW for medieval period would take years to be completed. Same as EB2 is trying to rebuild M2TW back to Roman times... I cannot even imagine how much work must be put in it since amount of work we must put to remaster current period is so huge.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

SaDeR's Avatar Semisalis

Yeah you got a point there, any mod for ETW would have to be between the 1500s-present, or it will take a long period of time. But I don't think we will have to wait as long as we did for med2, CA is learning from their mistakes. Also your right, I can't go back to vanilla, the one problem that I hated with vanilla was that you could barely move across the campaign map, also the turns are two years.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    ETW will be definitely out before DotS, but as M2TW, it will be dreadfully buggy... M2TW took year before it was barely moddable (and for us modders vanilla is nowhere near playable still) and I doubt ETW will take anytime shorter. Just remember how long we waited for patch 1.3! Plus ETW is not even competition as it is about completely different period. Any mod aiming to use ETW for medieval period would take years to be completed. Same as EB2 is trying to rebuild M2TW back to Roman times... I cannot even imagine how much work must be put in it since amount of work we must put to remaster current period is so huge.
    There was a guy who asked over http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/ whether CA is going to release some models, weapons, animations suitable for other time periods but the question remains unanswered ... I doubt we will see any time soon answer to it in next Q&A batch that already takes ages to show up ... looks like we will be stuck in ETW to 15th-19th century at best try and some fantasy mods made from scratch. It's not necessarily a bad thing as it won't cover up M2TW modding with dust =)

@Down

Quote Originally Posted by Wartower View Post
    Stuck in Empire:Total War playing 15th-19th century? Yeah, duh. That's because they've already realeased a game that starts in 1080. You remember, right? It's called "Medieval II: Total War." There's even an expansion dubbed, "Kingdoms". Oh, and there's a bunch of mods for it too.

Unbelievable.
    You didn't understand a single word, did you? Thought so.
    Last edited by Achilla; February 06, 2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Wartower's Avatar Civis

Stuck in Empire:Total War playing 15th-19th century? Yeah, duh. That's because they've already realeased a game that starts in 1080. You remember, right? It's called "Medieval II: Total War." There's even an expansion dubbed, "Kingdoms". Oh, and there's a bunch of mods for it too.

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    Is it a new thing to call everybody 'Trolllllllllllllllllll' ????

New Buzzword...
    6 posts ?
    in one thread , complaining about a release date?
    wow. .. how can this not be a goode troll =) ?

Coppernickers...
    If you dont get caught, everything is LEGAL X=] XD
    Last edited by eddy_purpus; February 05, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast