Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: King of the Hill: Round 5

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default King of the Hill: Round 5

King of the Hill
    Official Round V: Chief of the Barbarians

This new round continues the new rules and map arrangements of the previous round:
    i) The change in map rules, where the antagonist has to attack the King on the King's own turf - i.e. if the King is Germania, then the game must be played in a map like the Nordic Woodlands
    ii) The additions of unit restrictions to prevent the overuse of certain units that are considered overpowering in the pecuniary amounts used in this tourney.
    iii) This is is a barbarian-only King of the Hill. This means that only the factions Britannia, Gaul, Iberia, Germania, Dacia, Thrace and Scythia are allowed.

Rules:
    1. One game per challenge
    2. 10000 denarii for each player
    3. Battles must be played on a map with the environment which the faction of the king resides in. Season: Summer; Weather: Calm
    4a. After a loss, if the challenger wishes to challenge the King again, his name will be posted at the end of the waiting list.
    4b. If there is no one in the waiting list at the time, the challenger must wait for two names to go up before he can reapply.
    5. Players must report results to me via PM, post in this thread, or Xfire (my Xfire is xavierdragnesi)
    6. If a King is inactive and doesn't respond to challenges for more than 3 days, a new King will be decided as the victor of a battle played between the two following challengers.
    7. Any challengers must also be ready for their turn. Challengers have a limit of two days to play their game unless an excuse is posted. After that, they are moved to the back of the list.
    8. The King must stay as the faction that he overthrew the previous king with
    9. Using the borderline of the battlefield as a protective side is not allowed.
    10. Special Rules:
    - Unlimited melee and javelin infantry
    - Unlimited melee and javelin cavalry
    - An army must only have a total of 7 archer related units, of which only 4 can be Chariot or Horse archers.
    - Total of 4 chariots in an army

This round will last for 30 played games, or until a clear winner is decided.

Current King
    Selifator - Thrace

Challengers
    Njord
    Vulpes
    Legio Italica
    Marquess of Shades
    Xantrip
    Taruthin

Past Kings and their Lengths of Reign
    Njord - 3 victories with Germania
    Selifator - 1 victory with Scythia
    Teo - 3 victories with Thrace
    Cluny the Scourge - 5 victories with Britannia
    Maceman - 1 victory with Thrace
    Teo - 5 victories with Scythia
    Njord - 4 victories with Britannia
    Selifator - 5 victories with Thrace

Played Games
    1. King Njord (Germania) defeats the challenger GeneralChaos (Dacia) in the Nordic Woodlands
    2. King Njord (Germania) defeats the challenger Teo (Iberia) in the Germanic Forest
    3. King Njord (Germania) defeats the challenger Xantrip (Thrace) in the Germanic Forest
    4. The challenger Selifator (Scythia) overthrows the King Njord (Germania) in the Nordic Woodlands
    5. The challenger Teo (Thrace) overthrows the King Selifator (Scythia) in the Prippet Marshes.
    6. King Teo (Thrace) defeats the challenger GeneralChaos (Dacia) on the Grassy Flatlands.
    7. King Teo (Thrace) defeats the challenger MaceMan (Iberia) on the Grassy Flatlands
    8. The challenger Cluny the Scourge (Britannia) overthrows the King Teo (Thrace) on the Grassy Flatlands
    9. King Cluny the Scourge (Britannia) defeats the challenger Scipio Bellorum13 (Germania) on the Gallic Countryside
    10. King Cluny the Scourge (Britannia) defeats the challenger Stella (Germania) on the Gallic Countryside
    11. King Cluny the Scourge (Britannia) defeats the challenger Njord (Germania) on the Gallic Countryside
    12. King Cluny the Scourge (Britannia) defeats the challenger Legio Italica (Germania) on the Gallic Countryside
    13. The challenger Maceman (Thrace) overthrows the King Cluny the Scourge (Britannia) on the Gallic Countryside
    14. The challenger Teo (Scythia) overthrows the King Maceman (Thrace) in the Thracian Foothills
    15. King Teo (Scythia) defeats the challenger Njord (Gaul) on the Grassy Flatlands
    16. King Teo (Scythia) defeats the challenger Stella (Thrace) on the Grassy Flatland
    17. King Teo (Scythia) defeats the challenger Cluny_The_Scourge (Thrace) on the Grassy Flatland
    18. King Teo (Scythia) defeats the challenger Maceman (Thrace) on the Grassy Flatlands
    19. The challenger Njord (Britannia) overthrows the King Teo (Scythia) on the Grassy Flatlands
    20. King Njord (Britannia) defeats the challenger Marquess of Shades (Thrace) on the Scottish Highlands
    21. King Njord (Britannia) defeats the challenger Taruthin (Thrace) on the Scottish Highlands
    22. King Njord (Britannia) defeats the challenger Legio_Italica (Scythia) on the Scottish Highlands
    23. The challenger Selifator (Thrace) overthrows the King Njord (Britannia) on the Scottish Highlands
    24. King Selifator (Thrace) defeats the challenger The Last Legion of Rome (Scythia) in the Thracian Foothills
    25. King Selifator (Thrace) defeats the challenger MaceMan (Dacia) in the Thracian Foothills
    26. King Selifator (Thrace) defeats the challenger Stella (Germania) in the Thracian Foothills
    27. King Selifator (Thrace) defeats the challnger |Sith|vIX (Britannia) in the Thracian Foothills
    28. The challgner Teo (Scythia) overthrows the King Selifator (Thrace) in the Prippet Marshes
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; March 10, 2009 at 11:49 AM.

Default Re: King of the Hill: Round 5

Well, here it is, the next round of KotH!

I just realised something while I was typing though. Do you guys think Thrace should be included as a barbarian unit? Cos its got stuff like bastarnae, yet it also has pikemen. So, what do you think?

Njord's Avatar Civis

I'd reconsider Scythia, Gaul has no effective counter to them. Thrace I feel would be fine. Simply like taking on a less potent Greek army with barbarian infantry.

I'll send a PM off to General Chaos, good luck everyone.

You don't think Forresters and Chosen Swordsmen coupled with some other units are enough? Hmmm, I'll think on it, but I'll wait for other people's opinions as well.

MaceMan's Avatar Miles

Hey there,
    Mind letting me join in on the fun?

"...and MaceMan outflanks with a dose of reality..."
    -GeneralChaos

Ex - Rome: Total War Commentator

This looks like it could be fun. I'll sign up, if possible.

I am on Pacific Standard Time, USA. PM me or just tell me in the thread when it's my turn. I'm not new to RTW Multiplayer, if that's a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post
    You don't think Forresters and Chosen Swordsmen coupled with some other units are enough? Hmmm, I'll think on it, but I'll wait for other people's opinions as well.
    Foresters are quite expensive for their value. In a previous thread (Gauls obsolete), it was commented that if Foresters were cheaper, Gauls would be mid-tier or better. So I guess that it may work as a counter, but it isn't great.

But my guess is that there won't be too many Gaul players here anyways.
    Last edited by Xantrip; January 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM.

Count me in. I'll vote for using Scythia. If it doesn't work then we can always change the rules to exclude them from that point on.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Count me in
    I think Thrace should definatly be available to give us a better faction balance
    As for the Gauls no point in having the best archers in the game if you have nothing to defend them with

I would remind you that Foresters are the best anti-cav archers in the game. And if you need further troops, upgraded warbands can go up against most units.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    I would remind you that Foresters are the best anti-cav archers in the game. And if you need further troops, upgraded warbands can go up against most units.
    I respect your opinion seli but you could only take a maximum of 7 which would damage your budget at the foresters high cost leaving you very little cash to afford any decent defence let alone the fact that apart from Foresters Gaul has a very week unit roster

True, but then the emphasis of a Gaul army shouldn't lie with Foresters. A solid line of upgraded Chosen Swordsmen combined with Druids and supported by other troops can punch through other barbarian armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    True, but then the emphasis of a Gaul army shouldn't lie with Foresters. A solid line of upgraded Chosen Swordsmen combined with Druids and supported by other troops can punch through other barbarian armies.
    It definitely can. But Britannia can do all that too, and it has chariots. It may be limited to 4, but that's still enough to make an impact.

I support having Thrace available to the players. But I can't really make a judgement on Scythia. I'll leave it up to you guys.
    Last edited by Xantrip; January 15, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

count me in! Where do i sign? Send me a PM
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Njord's Avatar Civis

Pointless. Gauls have no dedicated anti cavalry units, and foresters in themselves are not an answer to Gothic cavalry or Noble cavalry. Chosen Swordsmen are mauled by axemen and Chosen archers maul Gaul cost effectively.

Scythian head hunting maidens slaughter barbarian cavalry of all sorts, and their mounted archers are more than a match for eastern nations ranged troops while also having access to chosen archers. They are far more dominate than any Thracian army and I find it extremely odd that Scythians took presence over Thrace.

I'd vote for them to be left out.

Gauls are terrible probably the worst faction in the game and warband are useless agaisnt other infantry, forester's are overpriced so leaves you with no missile power due to there cost and have weak cavalry to boot

Total agreement. Britannia can do everything better than them, even with CWB.

Oh, and will lack of Xfire be a problem here?
    Last edited by Xantrip; January 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
    Hey there,
    Mind letting me join in on the fun?
    Hey mate, of course you can join. The more, the merrier

Quote Originally Posted by Xantrip View Post
    This looks like it could be fun. I'll sign up, if possible.

I am on Pacific Standard Time, USA. PM me or just tell me in the thread when it's my turn. I'm not new to RTW Multiplayer, if that's a concern.
    Welcome! Just keep an eye on this thread, and you'll see when you pop up for your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    count me in! Where do i sign? Send me a PM
    You sign up just by posting in this thread and saying you want to be added to the challenge list.

Ok, after hearing all this discussion about Gaul, Scythia and Thrace, this is what I am going to do about these factions -

Gaul - I shall leave it in, but if people who use it suffer crushing defeats or constant loss, I will take it out mid-round.
    Scythia - Like Gaul, I shall leave it in, but it gains many heroic victories, and is extremely hard to remove from the throne, I will take it out.
    Thrace - Will be added to the factions list straight away.

EDIT: @ Xantrip: it shouldn't be. You can contact people via PM.

Against other barbarian factions Gaul isn't that bad. Gaul's Spear Warband, decently upgraded, can take down any cavalry unit barbarian factions have. Also who says we have to fight in the open? Since we are playing with only barbarians we will be mostly fighting in wooded areas. Cavalry units get penalties for fighting in woods, and units like Gaul's Spear Warband get bonuses.

As for Thrace. I am against the idea of allowing Thrace. Yes, Thrace would be a good counter against Brittania's Chariots, but Germania has phalanx capable units as well. Besides Thrace's culture in vanilla isn't barbarian it's Greek.
    Last edited by atraps; January 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Njord's Avatar Civis

You clearly don't play much Gaul. Gaulish warbands gain no bonus vs cavalry, even in woods a cavalry strike from the rear route them. Instantly, even with druid/general support.

Quote Originally Posted by atraps View Post
    Against other barbarian factions Gaul isn't that bad. Gaul's Spear Warband, decently upgraded, can take down any cavalry unit barbarian factions have. Also who says we have to fight in the open? Since we are playing with only barbarians we will be mostly fighting in wooded areas. Cavalry units get penalties for fighting in woods, and units like Gaul's Spear Warband get bonuses.

As for Thrace. I am against the idea of allowing Thrace. Yes, Thrace would be a good counter against Brittania's Chariots, but Germania has phalanx capable units as well. Besides Thrace's culture in vanilla isn't barbarian it's Greek.
    Thrace is half-barbarian, or more than half IMO. It does not have any semi-elite soldiers like Royals, Bronze Shields, or Silver Shields. All it has is Phalanx Pikemen. Other than that, it's effectively a barb faction (because no one uses Militia Hoplites). I am not intending to play them, but I think it would add a bit of fun and variety.

Germania's Spear Warbands kinda suck. They are poorly armored (I am American, so I use the American spelling), archer fodder (even frontal archer fire will seriously damage them), and they just aren't great. They have a hard time holding a battle line. Or a flank, for that matter. Phalanx Pikemen are at least serviceable in both of those tasks.
    Last edited by Xantrip; January 15, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast