Thread: ETW thread

Default ETW thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    @DoogansQuest: Why doesn't someone (CA take note of this!) create a Rome game with the upcoming Empire engine? BTW, I have heard RTR want to do that after VII. The main benefit would be (as I don't know the war machine) 50 factions. Of course, that will not happen soon...

Concerning Rhodes: If they were part of the Greeks, the Greeks could be allied to the Ptolies. Of course, this isn't exactly ideal, as most of the states in the Greek alliance/superfaction weren't allied to them. Also, with the RTW engine, trade doesn't exist on long distances such as between Alexandria and Rhodes.

Regarding the map, I would suggest making use of the 5 (I think) unused regions. I would add at least two in the Bosporus/Sarmatia region: Neapolis Scythica on Bosporus and a province around Tanais belonging to the Sarmatians. Tanais was Bosporan at that time. Another possible one could be a Greek colony on the north east shore of the Black Sea. Also, I would redo Punic Africa so it fits more to reality. For one thing, Kirtha is placed a long way from where it should be and it wasn't Carthaginian. Also, Carthage, Utica and Hippo Regius were quite close to each other. I think I posted a picture on the previous page. Oh yes, I almost forgot: Narbo (in Gaul) was founded by the Romans over 150 years after the game begins, and Palma (Baleares) likewise. As TIC rightly recognises, the main city was Ebusos on the other island.

More regions are desperately needed in eastern Persia, but I read in another thread that this is already being fixed.

Edit: Ebusus was on Ibiza and was known as Ibossim by the Poenicians, who founded it and of course Carthage (a Punic colony) held it in 280 BC.
    I'm sure someone will eventually get around to this. My concern is that the gameplay will be drastically different and cumbersome to those of us who can't afford to regularly update our computers. The current play style of Rome: Total War is one of it's most attractive features. The fact that little changed in M2TW, short of some graphics updates and an increased faction count, presents an attractive "upgrade" to our existing game. As someone pointed out earlier, however, the cities on the battle map will likely appear as 12th century European cities instead of ancient civilizations.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Re: Political map changes

Only the first paragraph had anything to do with ETW (if it is possible to mod to Rome style, it would probably take years)... The rest is suggestions for ExRM.

Default Re: Political map changes

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    Only the first paragraph had anything to do with ETW (if it is possible to mod to Rome style, it would probably take years)... The rest is suggestions for ExRM.
    Probably the same problem as there is with M2... But EB and other eople are making great progress on that...

I think that it is fair to state that by the time all units, ships, building trees, maps and other features for RTR VIII on ETW are realized, there will be good progress in problems like the battlemap buildings in M2...

Edit:
    QI: Maybe you could move this to its own thread?

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default ETW thread

Done.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: ETW thread

i personally see a lot in the reasoning that not much has changed from RTW to MTWII (apart from slower gameplay and 10 more factions), so better invest now in perfectioning the mod for RTW, and then Scotty Beam it to ETW.
    although i'm not a modder I assume that Scotty Beaming is quite a lot of work, and it's a bit of a waste of energy if the advantages are not that huge.
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Default Re: ETW thread

IMO RTW >>>>>>>>> MTW2

They changed something in the battle dynamics in MTW2 that made it crappier.... I think someone said they changed something about unit mass or something