Thread: entire crusade deserts

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Default entire crusade deserts

So I'm Venice and I've just started the campaign and the pope called a crusade to Antioch. I sent an army that got there in four turns by ship and sieged them i then fought and lost a battle against the byz as I was badly outnumbered and fighting HA with spearmen and right after the Turks asked me for trade rights and map information for 7 turns of 100 tribute. agreed and instantly my entire crusade army deserts.

What the heck this is garbage. now i have to reload a save because of a glitch from before the HA battle.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; January 13, 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Default Re: entire crusade deserts

LOL

...is all i have to say

sorry
    "...and all the men and women merely players."

Did the army's general die in action or on the trip? He might have died without you noticing it. This has happened to me a few times. As soon as that happens, the crusading army will disband as they have no orders and want to go home.

Alla's Avatar Civis

They probably thought you wern't making progress, your fault should have re-rooted round to africa away from Byz and Turks landed and take the city.
    The Great Info Thread
    For all your M2TW needs
    :sparta:

Citizen

wait dammit just found out i sent my faction leader without resizing and he's 61! lol he died from old age! now I have to assault the settlement in case he dies again! I thought it was because I made a deal with the Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by Alla View Post
    They probably thought you wern't making progress, your fault should have re-rooted round to africa away from Byz and Turks landed and take the city.
    Read my post I took four turns to get there via boat the byz fight was with another army.

Alla's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Forlornhop3 View Post
    wait dammit just found out i sent my faction leader without resizing and he's 61! lol he died from old age! now I have to assault the settlement in case he dies again! I thought it was because I made a deal with the Muslims.
    That'll be why, I never send my faction leader because they only see 1 crusade when they are king, and they are old then.
    The Great Info Thread
    For all your M2TW needs
    :sparta:

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alla View Post
    That'll be why, I never send my faction leader because they only see 1 crusade when they are king, and they are old then.
    Yes they are usually so old at the beginning of the campaign i just grabbed any general without checking

Voolma's Avatar Civis

Heirs are useful to send into crusades.

Lol... Pas Fort mon ami Lol...
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

A good way for nothern countries to go about the crusade w/o desertion is go halfway with either ships or on land.. and then declare for the Crusade.. and when I Crusade I sack all the non-christian cities on my way there and destroy the buildings.. easy way to get cash
    Whats the difference between Oliver Cromwell and Jack Daniels?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Jack Daniels is still killing the Irish

Why go half way? As long as your general doesn't die(or you could just send 2 for insurance) you can benefit from the movement bonus all the way there.

Having just about concluded a Crusade heavy, Long Campaign as the English I have a few notes on crusade movement.

As long as your X and Y coordinates take you closer to the target you will not get desertion with the proviso that you also move father than your maximum normal movement.

1) So you can deviate over regional boundaries to pick up more and better Mercenaries. you can run around in circles chasing bandits, hide from Greek pirates or follow your utterly mad king's whims as long as you 'progress toward the target'

2)You can slow or speed your movement by hauling along siege equipment. If the Huge cross, ballista/catapult or merc grand bombard/merc. rocket launcher is in your crusade (has little crusader cross in canton on its card) at the beggining of your turn your crusade's mimimum movement is calculated as the max movement of the slowest unit. Slowing your crusade to a crawl if you need. If you need to deviate from a least time course to the target city you can ditch (disband) the dead-weight too, travel a great distance while only progressing toward the Target a little.

Examples One. Playing as England capital London
    During the first crusade called by the Venetian dodge on Jerusalem. I knew baring the Venetian fleet being sunk by a storm I wasn't going to make it in time and I was at war with a French HRE alliance and Millan as well. So instead of enraging the distant disapproving pontif and probably being Excomunicated and Crusade stomped by my surrounding enemies I built one of them newfangled bombards in Edinborough rounded up my Heir and eight local militia spears and joined the crusade. Using the Lure of cash joining fees, free upkeep, foreign travel and salvation through remission of their undoubted sins I gathered three highland Kerns and two Irish galloglas then meandered slowly south dragging that infernal anchor, Meg with me. Trudging past the turn-off to Canarvon I picked up some welsh bandits badly in need of redemption (and cash) adding them to my growing band The men celebrated by letting the welsh have a turn towing yon we Iron lovespoon. Another two turns and we could meet boats in London Hire some Merc. boats too opportunistically savage a nearby Danish fleet and cross the channel to Caen. While shopping for sharper swords for his bodyguard (#1)the prince Met some Frankish Knights in need of remission. Thumbing his nose at French and HRE stacks the prince wends his way through France hiring away some merc. X bows from their siege lines around Angers.
    Suspecting the Venetians were already in the holy lands the prince sold the Iron Anchor to his progress to the Mayor of Narbonne for a bollard Huzzah!!! and made a swift dash to Portugese Zarragoza where his diplomat bought their map and discovered that the Venetian army was indeed besieging Jerusalem with the Portugese in close pursuit while the Spanish besieged the consolation prize(Acre). Knowing the Crusade was done The prince hired a final Catalan (Frankish) knight and two tough Mercenary Spear units to bolster his front line. Before taking a big Gamble and splitting away and hiring three crusader knights, three crusader seargents and six pilgrims crossing his fingers and returning to his men #2. Fortunatly the Crusade ended on schedule one turn later with my Crusading army receiving a Lack progress order but suffering no actual desertions. This left me perfectly positioned to storm Tolouse and then Marseilles (France had low papal standing) leaving the crusade troops to defend them and heading on to exterminate Genoa dodging the Millanese fleets by island hopping first to Corsica (Ajaccio despoiled) then Sardinnia where due to the sinking of all my boats I had settle in formerly Sicilian Cagliari.

So Acomplishments. I had diverted the French Alliance and Millanese from my Norman posessions stolen (if to be breifly) two french and profitably despoiled two Milanese cities and Captured a Sicillian one to launch further attacks or Crusades. Improved my standing with the pope and made several thousand florins. Thank you Pope ! Just by knowing how to slow down or speed up Crusade movement and getting very lucky when the Crusade ended.
    #1 Swordsmith guild
    #2 I purchase frankish knights in preferance to Crusader knights as they are easier to recruit replacements for.

Example two Jihad playing Egypt capital Cairo target bahdad
    Starting in Dongola my General built an oboselete catapult and borowed a Sudanese tribsmen from the garrison. Stepped outside and hired six more Sudanese and joined the Jihad. Crossing the border he hired two Bedouin Cavalry two Turkomans two more Sudanese Tribesmen and Five Ghazis to fill out his unit roster.Making slow progress down the road to Cairo untill the turn-off to tunisia where he ditched the catapult and nipped accross the border buying two more Bedouin Cavalry two more Ghazis Two more Turkomans Mercs and four Mutatawwi'a Splitting the Cavalry from the fanatics he swiftly caught back up to the crusade. The six fanatics and the four displaced Sudanese heading along the road toward cairo where a general could rush out and meet them and use them to join the Jihad for very little cost. Also Used this tactic from Gaza (where I took ship) too take out a rebel army in Arabia (jedda) with general and the cavalry and also from the landing point in the sea of Jableh into Armenia (by Adana) which brought huge Jihad armies swiftly to Baghdad.

I've never heard of something like that happening where the whole army goes in one false swoop.