Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left 4 Dead

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Default Left 4 Dead

LEFT 4 DEAD REVIEW
    D.B. Cooper

Overview: A simple premise: In the midst of a zombie apocalypse, four characters are fighting for survival in an urban environment, the zombie menace hot on their heels, with nothing but some guns and their wits

Story
    At its simplest. Something terrible has clearly just swept through the city, leaving nothing but zombies in its wake. Four survivors are somehow immune to this deadly outbreak, and you will play them through the game to safety.

The Survivors:

Score: N/A

Graphics:
    Considering the game uses a years-old engine, the graphics are pretty good with what it puts out. The character models are quite well done and the textures are good. The muscles bulging through their jackets, the greasy sweat on their faces, ripples on the clothing, it’s all there. The animations were competently done, your character will limp realistically as he takes more damage and their faces reflect their current predicament. I’d have liked to have seen more varied movements in the survivors though. One quirk I have is the shoving animation. It looks strange sometimes, like a spastic arm movement.

Dymamic Shadows:

All your items are represented somewhere on the character’s person, which is nice. Other touches, like a beam of light shining through smoke, bits of gore hitting the camera, Boomer vomit, and so on polish up this visually appealing game.

Boomer bile, ew:

The zombie animations are where the engine truly shines. They don’t just “go down”. If you shoot a zombie running at you, it might fall over or stagger a few steps and wave their arms before collapsing. If you shoot them up in the chest, they might waver on their legs before slowly falling over. The only time realism is lost is when you hit a running zombie in the chest with the shotgun. Picture a giant hook suddenly grabbing them from behind. They don’t fly back, but their legs fly into the air on the spot and they go down. Kind of strange, but really not that big of a deal. But overall, momentum is clearly displayed and the zombie movements are totally realistic. Ragdoll physics is shown off here too, in both the zombies and in dead survivors flying through the air.

The environments are just as thoroughly done. Little touches, like wall writing and cars still in the street, increase the sense that this whole scenario is a very recent occurrence. It’s well done and kind of jarring sometimes.

Better safe than sorry...

8.5/10

Gameplay
    It plays well for the most part. The controls are pretty much standard for a PC first-person shooter and work well. The game’s selling feature, which challenges you, is known as the AI Director. This “Director”, this overarching presence pulling all the strings, is responsible for all enemies, health, and weapons in the game. If your team is doing well, the Director might throw a few more hordes your way or otherwise make the challenge harder. Same logic for if you’re doing poorly. Weapons and health don’t always spawn when you need them. The Director also forces your team to advance; lagging behind to nurse your wounds or get your bearings is just asking for trouble in the form of a Boomer+zombie horde combination. The Director also likes targeting lone players. This keeps the experience fresh because you never know what to expect when you turn a corner. I often wonder what the Director’s master plan is. The difficulty settings raise the challenge with each level, with Expert difficulty a downright punishing experience for players. It’s very very hard, but not impossible for an organized team.

Zombies

To quickly summarize the enemies you’ll be fighting:
    The standard zombie: Weak on its own, but they’re almost never alone and can quickly overwhelm teammates with sheer numbers. Hordes are huge sudden rushes of zombies.
    Boomer: A large bloated zombie that spews vomit onto you. This vomit will obscure your vision attract a horde of zombies to your person, not a good combination. It waddles around in blue jeans.
    Smokers: This zombie has a long tongue which can drag players away from their companions. Once killed it lets out a cloud of smoke which obscures your vision and prevents you from using voice commands until the cloud clears.
    Hunters: These zombies are agile and leap far. They jump on players and render them completely helpless until someone else knocks it off.
    Witches: In the form of a small woman, this zombie simply weeps and would rather not be disturbed. If you do however, it leaps up and dashes towards you for a chunk of your flesh. On higher difficulty settings one swipe will kill you instantly.
    Tanks: Similar in appearance to the Hulk. Very powerful and fast. This zombie swings at you with giant fists and throws rocks at you. Teamwork is needed to bring this one down.

Fear the tank:

Gored by a hunter:

The AI is smart. Boomers and Smokers hide very well until they’re ready to spring out, and all enemies are aggressive depending on the difficulty. It’s sort of silly to expect some enemies, such as witches and tanks, to seek you out from on the other side of the map though.

The map-finder system to match you up with a campaign needs work. It’s quite inconsistent with finding a map at all. This was a big problem in the demo, and although it isn’t quite as bad there it’s still annoying to have to go back and re-enter all the search data to find a map because it didn’t go through the first time. Matching up maps with friends is easier, though, strangely, you can’t seem to create your own campaign for friends to join unless you manually open the server browser and find a campaign with no people on it. Why Valve left this feature out of such a social-minded game is a mystery to me.

The one problem I see with this game is longevity. With only four levels per section, four sections in all, a good team could blow through this game in a couple of hours. This isn’t usually the case, on higher difficulty one level could take several playthroughs, but I already know all the maps and tactics to take down various enemies. Whether or not I can always pull off these tactics is something else entirely, but it shows how familiar this game has become. The Director system keeps the fighting fresh, but the actual enemies I have to fight are already getting sort of stale. I don’t know if I’ll be playing this as steadily as I am now in a year. Valve had better have some good new content coming to keep the player base at a solid level. Achievements are there to work on, but it isn’t a saving aspect.

Friendly fire is on in full effect. Battles can turn around in an instant with a stray bullet hitting a teammate. This is a very team oriented game, watch where you fire and watch the backs of your teammates. The entire enemy system is designed to make solo runs and gung-ho heroics almost useless.

Finally, Versus mode allows you to play as the zombie Infected, against a team of survivors in a few campaigns. It’s a very different style of gameplay and very frustrating until you get it right.

8/10.

Sound
    Left 4 Dead is excellent. I tip my hat to the voice actors ("OH NO!"). There’s a wide range of well done voice commands at your disposal, and characters react realistically to events happening. If he/she is the victim of friendly fire then he/she will cry out at the offender. Screams are realistic, the gunfire noise is spot on, etc. The zombie noises are equally good. They’ll snarl, growl, hiss, yell, shriek, and anything else you’ll expect of a rabid zombie. The ingame music is minimal and creepy-like, and every special enemy has a distinct musical cueWhen a Tank bears down on you the music is swells to suit the occasion. It adds to the immersion. Also, please bring a microphone with you. There are voice commands and a text box but this game requires fast player response and there’s nothing as effective shouting out commands and requests on the spot via a mic. Mine broke the other day and I feel terribly handicapped going into a campaign without it.

9/10.

Conclusion:
    Left 4 Dead is a very entertaining addition to Valve’s winning line of shooters. I can’t tell you how much fun it to shoot my way to victory with my friends. The graphics are good. But again, I don’t know how lively the community will be down the road, but knowing Valve I’m sure something good is coming to freshen up the experience.

My score: 8.5/10

I'll add some more pictures tomorrow.
    Last edited by D.B. Cooper; January 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM.

Default Re: Left 4 Dead

Played this one with a friend recently and I highly recommend playing it online.

It's one of those few co-op games where the second player is useful and team work is necessary.
    Ever had Problems when trying to find some good sites about a special period in history on Google?
    Then try looking if the site you need is in Links to History.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Re: Left 4 Dead

I got and played this game about three weeks ago...needless to say I wasn't all that impressed.

However, I feel as if I have no right to judge given the fact that I was playing alone.

This is a social game...make no mistake...you will NOT have fun playing this game if you don't have 3 other people to play with (at least I imagine so).

However, there was enough just in the single player bit for me to state that L4D is good but not nearly as good as people are making it out to be. After the first zombie horde, the first Boomer, the first Smoker, and so on the game gets stale REALLY fast. Unfortunately not only with its enemies but also it's settings and levels...they just lose interest after a little while.

Essentially this is how I feel - if you're a major fan of World at War's Nazi Zombies mini-game you'll probably poop ur pants when you play this game.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Left 4 Dead Review

This game is quite fun in MP (in SP its boring, though). Versus mode adds a nice touch, too.

I take it this is just the Zombie-Master mod fleshed out into a retail version. The only difference I see is that the "Director" is AI, while the "ZM" (zombie-master") is human, along with the typical shiny-ness of a for-profit game.

My advice would be just to download the ZM mod. It's damn fun, for the same reasons Left4Dead is; you really have to work as a team, including weapon/ammo sharing and task allocation. And the bonus is that you sometimes get to play as the Zombie-Master, and unleash your hordes unto the pitiful humans.

I understand why they made the "Director/ZM" AI and not human. A bad ZM makes a whole game boring as they don't give any challenge. On the other hand though, having a human control the zombies creates a very unique experience, and I have played some epic games where a cunning ZM faces a skilled human team, and a brutal back and forth match results in a final last stand with one side eeking out victory

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Zombie Master hasn't got a patch on Left 4 Dead. Honestly. The harrowing experience of L4D is nothing really compared to the relatively sedate experience of ZM. And playing as the special infected in L4D is something ZM couldn't hope to recreate currently.

Though it would be nice to see a mode in L4D where one player gets to use the AI-director. With the mirror like polish of L4D it would be nothing short of amazing - while in ZM, it's fun, but not as fluid or dynamic as I'd like it to be.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    Zombie Master hasn't got a patch on Left 4 Dead. Honestly. The harrowing experience of L4D is nothing really compared to the relatively sedate experience of ZM. And playing as the special infected in L4D is something ZM couldn't hope to recreate currently.

Though it would be nice to see a mode in L4D where one player gets to use the AI-director. With the mirror like polish of L4D it would be nothing short of amazing - while in ZM, it's fun, but not as fluid or dynamic as I'd like it to be.
    I've been in a private server where the administrator spawned 10 Tanks and 20 Witches all in the same place at once - that was interesting.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Played it with 6 others and it was quite possibly the best laugh I've ever had with a game.

I just loved the first time the Boomer poked on one of the survivors. I was like: Eww, gross -.-, Die fatty!.. Shot the beast only to see it go up in an epic exsplotion, which was really cool. Shortly after I discovered the whole idea of this puking. Rofl. Pretty chaotic scene. And just like I thought it was mad it just got even worse.

I can ONLY recommend it. It's really really fun to play with your mates. Even better than CS (at certain levels)
    Last edited by Holger Danske; February 01, 2009 at 03:51 PM.

I really want this game. But steam won't let me purchase it because I currently live in a place and my credit card bill goes somewhere else. Normally I can bypass this, but stupid Steam is really making me angry by stating this "It seems you aren't at your billing address" error bs. I mean c'mon is that freaking uncommon or some crap!?

Retail version doesn't appeal to you?

I got the retail version. It meant I had to wait 3 days after the release date for the mail-order to arrive, but I'm old-fashioned and like the comforting feeling of having a disk in my hand.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I really want this game. But steam won't let me purchase it because I currently live in a place and my credit card bill goes somewhere else. Normally I can bypass this, but stupid Steam is really making me angry by stating this "It seems you aren't at your billing address" error bs. I mean c'mon is that freaking uncommon or some crap!?
    I find a lot of internet retailers give me that problem :X

Paypal. It's the way forward for the digital download market. Safest too, given you dont have to give anyone any new details.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Presbiter's Avatar Biarchus

its hell of fun in multiplayer, played it during many nights with my friends

I borrowed this game of a friend on X360. I liked it but found it a far bit repetative. Plus the multiplayer "VS" mode was horrible.

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I borrowed this game of a friend on X360. I liked it but found it a far bit repetative. Plus the multiplayer "VS" mode was horrible.
    i'll have to disagree with you on that. the v.s. mode was awesome. my friends and i destroyed the entrie other team 10 feet from the safe room.

i would give Left 4 Dead a 9/10
    Last edited by Maximus_96; April 02, 2009 at 03:21 PM.

for CHRISTMAS I got this game And I Never installed it yet, damn, I'm lazy!
    >>>>> METAL BLOGGGGGGGG <<<<<

I <3 Student Loans
    EVGA GTX580 1.5GB GPU
    AMD Phenom II 955BE C3 3.2GHz @ 19c idle
    16GB G.skill 1600MHz RAM DDR3
    Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD, 150GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Storage Drives
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Asus 2x24" Vertical Monitors + 1 Sony EX500 46" LCD TV
    Corsair Obsidian 800D

Bell FiberOP Internet 70mbps DOWN 30mbps UP

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

The Dlc is out soon, 21st of April.

So what's up with the new patches? Pretty crappy nerfing I must say...

Versus is the most fun if you're the Infected, it can be right crappy if you're playing as the Survivors and your team sucks. You're constantly rushing, constantly looking behind your back, no time to stop and heal or anything. Just get to the end as fast as possible.

Well they have certainly nerfed the pushing ability a lot, which has made it much harder to play as the survivors, imo... Haven't they also reduced the amount Tanks available for the infected in each level? Me and some mates played it some time ago and played trough a near whole campaign as infected (with high scores) and did not get the tank, even when it was going bad for us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast