Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Faction Discussion] Tibetan Kingdoms

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default [Faction Discussion] Tibetan Kingdoms

Tibetan Kingdoms

This thread can be used for non-team members to discuss the Tibetan Kingdoms faction. Research, ideas, and imagery for the team to use in our development of the faction are appreciated. This post will contain more information about this faction and their inclusion within the mod in the future.

Note: Please do not include Osprey images in this thread, as it is against the policy of TWC to allow copyrighted material to be posted, especially Osprey Publications.

Regards,
    AUH Team

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [Faction Discussion] Tibetan Kingdoms

Yeah, this is my part!
    Any information?

There will be two Tibetan Factions right? Just so that well it should not be represented that Tibet was one unified kingdom, when it was pretty much awash with anarchy and was almost impossible to control. Even under the Mongols there is a controversy over whether or not the Mongols actually took Tibet and controlled it, supported by Herbert Franke for example while others suggest since the Mongols did tax Tibet that it was formally incorporated into the Yuan dynasty. However since this is just based on my initial readings into that I cannot give you an accurate picture about the area, however I would suggest that Tibet would be a place which would be in EXTREME anarchy. A Player should actually have to feel rejoice for taking another province from the other Tibetan faction or rebels in so that it would represent how it would be extremely difficult for Tibet to come under any one person's rule. As well monastery building should be intrinsic to the Tibetan faction, instead of buildings that are similar to the city hall types of buildings there should be monasteries which could be built. These monasteries would symbolize how the Tibetan nobility was tied at the ankle to a supportive sect, since in some sources such as A study of the Mongol Yuan Dynasty and the Tibetan Saskya sect by Chang Jiunn Yih, note that the Mongols considered it advantageous to control the Tibetans through the patronization of their religion and that the Tibetans were very religious for their peoples.

Well Ideas for monasteries;

A long building chain- Tibetan Monasteries should have many buildings available signifying the strength of the monasteries in relation to the nobles. As your empire grows the Monasteries would be seekign more and more money and converts and if you could not supply this then you would face a strong religious rebellion as your sect seeks out other nobles to support them. The Chain in my opinion should be at 8 tiers, which would signify how the monasteries absorbed much of your nations coffers in the patronization of your sect. Additionally the Monasteries should provide bonuses in terms of education, and public order, and less unrest as they grow. Monasteries should also be expensive to build increasing perhaps by this order.
    1st tier 800
    2nd tier 1200
    3rd 2000
    4th 3000
    5th 4500
    6th 7000
    7th 10000
    8th 15000

Remembber that while these prices may seem exorborant for the player, it should be noted that these buildigns in comparison ot other factiosn will be like a combined temple, city hall and university in one building. As well these buildings should be considered necessary to build, as opposed to other factions that could probably slide off religion, Tibet does not have that option.

Additional Ideas;

There should be several areas of your nation that are still pagan/ shamanistic in reference to the religion of Bon, which at this time still held much sway over the populace.

There could be a Tibetan Tea trader which can act as a small increase to your economy albeit not much since Tibetan tea was not valued enough for oher nations eg. the Yuan to facilitate them keeping such a bureau.

The Rebels surrounding the player shoudl feel almost like mini factions, and should be strong enough to hold their own well into the middle of the game. Victory should be a great sigh of relief, as perhaps these rebels could have two to three full stacks guarding the capital.

The first priority of a tibetan player is to expand slowly into the surrounding tribal areas while, simulataneouly trying to grab a bit of the silk road to facilitate economic development. LAter on by about middle game they should be able to defeat the other Tibetan faction, unifying Tibet and gaining a larger kings purse. This could allow them to expand either into Kara Khitai, Tangut and Dali areas. By this point you should be able to fight against your arch nemesis China comfortably.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcry View Post
    There will be two Tibetan Factions right?
    There is only one Tibetan faction, but we're well aware of the fragmentation of Tibet and it would have been in much more than two. The player will likely be playing as whichever regional power is the strongest or has the most direct descent to Langdarma. The other fragmented "factions" will be otherwise represented to the player in the form of having to unite Tibet. The AI will have all of Tibet automatically though so it will not run into the obstacle and can be a challenge to other AI factions and the player.

Would someone help with tibetian unit's pictures for me?

Armored Cavalryman
    Tibetan, with Bhutanese, Nepalese, and Chinese elements

Miniature Lamellar Armor and Helmet

Sword Guard Mask

Again a picture of tibetan armour.

and, not difficult to realize, a tibetan sword

I hope it is some useful stuff.
    Last edited by RobinCato; February 01, 2009 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks mate!
    What age do the they abowe belong to? aprox

The cavalryman about 14th century. The other pics, are from the Medieval Tibetan army, I don't know which century, but I am very sure that they are historical accurated.

What about my PM I sent you yesterday?

ok, thanks.
    I wrote a PM for you!

Medieval Tibet from russian reconstructor M.V. Gorelik

Who people is represented with a factionThe Tangut?

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-Bey View Post
    Who people is represented with a factionThe Tangut?
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. The Tanguts as they were known to history, or more specifically the Dangxiang Qiang, controlled lands to the northwest of Tibet proper and are represented in-game by the faction Xi Xia.

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

How's the progress, danova?

Marcion's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. The Tanguts as they were known to history, or more specifically the Dangxiang Qiang, controlled lands to the northwest of Tibet proper and are represented in-game by the faction Xi Xia.
    Yeah, the Tanguts were a Tibetan people, but like he says, they ruled the Xia kingdom (in modern Gansu) in our time, which is a separate faction. We do have some ideas on who specifically our Tibetans will be, but you'll have to wait till the preview...

If you add Tibet, then I'll definitely download this

If you add in Tibetan Music (Monk Chanting, etc) then I'll definitely list this as my top priority mod
    Only destruction of the enemy can be called victory
    - Stepan Makarov, Admiral of Russian Navy, Russo-Japanese War

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Well then you will, I presume, since we have both added the faction to our list AND have music pertaining it.

I've already listened to a fine sample of Tibetan Music from our very talented composer RobinCato! I find it to be beautiful.

Not that the faction is complete though (not yet ) but we are well on our way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wundai View Post
    Well then you will, I presume, since we have both added the faction to our list AND have music pertaining it.

I've already listened to a fine sample of Tibetan Music from our very talented composer RobinCato! I find it to be beautiful.

Not that the faction is complete though (not yet ) but we are well on our way.
    Sweet, I can I listen to soothing Monk Chanting
    WHILE CUTTING DOWN EVERY SOLDIER WHEN IM FIGHTING!!!!!!
    Only destruction of the enemy can be called victory
    - Stepan Makarov, Admiral of Russian Navy, Russo-Japanese War

Some tibetan arms:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Alejandro Sanchez; January 13, 2010 at 03:25 AM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

.....It seems Tibetans were very strong! Very nice horsemen! Great faction!

Last edited by Visarion; April 14, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Hmm I think our Tibetan ingame screenshots look better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast