Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: [Faction Discussion] Goryeo

Default Re: [Faction Discussion] Goryeo

We're talking about Goryeo, which didn't have to worry about building a navy to fight Japan. Goryeo's main enemies lay in the CHinese and the nomadic tribes, so they would need a counter to CAVALRY, not ships. Besides, cannons weren't invented yet in ~650 AD

ok thanks KNG

Korea should have a boy-band unit. their weapon could be their annoyingly-piercing warcry and absurd costume

Please, don't critic for nothing...Koreans no joke of the Teutonic Knights. Its a serious thread, here, I think.
    All germans have tyrolian shorts? Eat Bretzels and sauerkraut ? All germans read Mein Kampf before sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-Bey View Post
    Please, don't critic for nothing...Koreans no joke of the Teutonic Knights. Its a serious thread, here, I think.
    All germans have tyrolian shorts? Eat Bretzels and sauerkraut ? All germans read Mein Kampf before sleeping?
    No those are bavarians.

In this case, all korean warriors wasn't boys-band...

All Ancient Greek warriors were boybands, foer example the Thebes's Sacred Band.

I didn't mean any offence, I just made that comment:
    A. in response to the videos of Korean pop groups posted a few posts back
    B. just as a bit of humor
    C. because I spent the last two years of my life teaching English in Daejeon, South Korea and have a lot of experience with (and respect for) Korean culture

Also, you're right. Trachtl is Tirolean, but Tirolean and Bavarian culture are very closely related as Tirol (and most of modern Austria) was part of Bavaria during the high middle ages.

Again, sorry for the offence.

Brothers! I'll be playing Goryeo first when the mod is released! So sad I don't have too much knowledge in the history though. I guess I'll start off with wiki and try to learn more about the culture during the era.
    Anyways, so happy to hear that this mod is in progress!

Starting from a peninsula would be interesting...

And boy bands should be exiled from the face of the Earth!!!

Hi I follow your mod so long and wanted to suggest the appearance of Korean troops:

Joseon Standard Cavalry

Note: Joseon cavalry was far better than Ming & Japanese, and even Jurchen during 12th~17th century.

Standard Army - Pikeman, Archer, and Swordsman

Standard Army - Hand carried Gunner

Standard armours & weapons

United army - with militiamen

Jurchen skirmish attack on Korean village

Joseon armour vs Japanese armour
    Note: Joseon's body armours were all hidden internally and easier to move their bodies, but Japanese armours can't use effectively on horse or ground. I was told Japanese commanders worn these fancy looking armours to scare off enemies, but not effective.

Not effective can be construed in two ways - either not efficient, or useless - I think it's the former, as the interlocking leather is more than likely capable of stopping or slowing an arrow, or low pressure point of impact spear attack (i.e not a horse charging onto a pike). However, as said, the Demon faced-Kabuto's are likely to scare rather than offer protection yet generated the equivalent faceplace. Then again, did they have the masks in Taira/Minamoto era Japan?

I have a question, about the use of mail in Korean army, could anyone provide good accounts on this?
    I see that there are major changes in unit depictions, which is wonderful

Note: Joseon cavalry was far better than Ming & Japanese, and even Jurchen during 12th~17th century.
    What? Proofs?
    There are no Ming in this mod anyway.

This mod, no matter what, only is game. We no need have to too precise about history. This cavalry so good. I think mod really should add it in game. One kind Light cavalry strong as heavy cavalry in melee ( because they use long flail) and can fire as archer cavalry. I really see it will so good, more delightful than even "Heavy Infantry, some of the best in Asia" or " best archer" very much. Actually, as I say before, make " best archer" because... win in Olympic is ... little don't satisfy. You need have some legend more. If don't see good document in history, why you don't made some special army from your legend???
    History, no matter what, is science. And since it cannot manifest itself before us in a visualised form, we use games like total war to bring history back to life. As such we must focus on historical accuracy and not getting winded up by any ahistorical method.
    Your legend about the crossbow is bound to fail since Dai Viet so far has never proved to be really outstanding about crossbows. Even bronze triggers found in Vietnam territory are subject to debate since they all ressemble prototypes from Han dynasty.
    Last edited by Cuong Vu; January 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Puts it better than the Jurchen time of the XII-XIII as well as that of the Ming and later Japanese, and it is on this page: http://forum.koreansentry.com/viewtopic.php?t=2265

Korean Sentry is a quite extreme nationalistic site, I visited there once.

For Dai Viet crossbow, medias in Vietnam keeps praying for its superb performance which really triggered my curiosity. They claimed that the testing has been done based on some replicated artifacts found in Co Loa ancient capital. None of the videos have been broadcasted (these videos would be considered national pride) since then but the miracles of Dai Viet crossbow 's still floating around, mostly on Internet. Perhaps we should make an Vietnamese Sentry site for ourselves so that these dudes can come and chill a bit.
    Last edited by Matsu; February 27, 2011 at 02:07 AM.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Korean Sentry is a quite extreme nationalistic site, I visited there once.

For Dai Viet crossbow, medias in Vietnam keeps praying for its superb performance which really triggered my curiosity. They claimed that the testing has been done based on some replicated artifacts found in Co Loa ancient capital. None of the videos have been broadcasted (these videos would be considered national pride) since then but the miracles of Dai Viet crossbow 's still floating around, mostly on Internet. Perhaps we should make an Vietnamese Sentry site for ourselves so that these dudes can come and chill a bit.
    Here, buddy
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...72#post9075972
    Last edited by DragonFly; March 01, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Hey you're going to off topic. It's better to post them in DV's threat

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by nhinhonhinho View Post
    Hey you're going to off topic. It's better to post them in DV's threat
    Sorry, just because Mr. Matsu asked about DV crossbow

So would i be right in saying:
    a)korea had above average armour and weapons but they were expensive to upkeep (to represent korea's lack of standing armies during peace times, they only raised armies for campaigns or to repel invasions)
    b)Korea had cataphracts known as 'gesamusa,' however they were ineffective against the light cavalry of the northern tribes (Jurchen?)
    c)they had a uniqui unit, gumcha, which was a boxed chariots with swordsmen inside that repelled missile attacks

Sounds pretty OP... they should have some detriments to reflect political unrest (assassins and corruption) and financial problems which prevented korea/koryo from becoming a super nation

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Don't worry about OP. The other faction also have something to deal with

For example: A horde of Mongol cavalry, Jurchen cataphract, The Song have the advance of gunpowder, vast number and heavily armored