Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: AUH: Official Q&A and FAQ

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: AUH: Official Q&A and FAQ

Surely the (pre-Yuan) Chinese attempts to take Dai Viet involved siege warfare?
    Nope! Dai Viet in general avoid siege warfare. It have many reasons

1. Chinese obviously more numerous (you need to be more numerous to take another country)
    2. Chinese in general heavily armored and have rather better arms and equip (siege weapons)
    3. Fortification in Dai Viet are not particular good at all!

These reasons prove it's not a good option for Dai Viet to defense fortification like Western's style!

That's why the Viet's army (as a smaller and lighter arms compared to China) thought still used fortresses but more often they (we) used terrain as their advance (and naval power too).

They (we) set ambush on the mountainous terrain or created a strong defensive line in the bank of large river. Actually Viet's army will face the enemy head on but often with terrain in their side.

In most cases the invaders will be stop or worse crushed when tried in vain to attack well entrenched Viet's army

Only when these tactic failed (rather rare). We withdrawn from cities, used scourge earth tactic, then attack enemy's supply line, harass with guerrilla force to harass (these guerrilla war was maintained mostly by local units, not regular and not a part of the army) and...wait. The invaders will lose their strength via attrition. When they become weak. The main army will attack (suddenly if possible) and strike a killing blow which will throw the invaders out of the border. The wars in general will end here. This counter attack phase often "tore the invaders to ribbon !" and consist merely of conversation, fast and large attack

Note: There're 2 "strange" strategy here

1.Unlike the other Viet in many cases preferred to use terrain as a strong point and not depend too much on stronghold or cities!
    2.Guerrilla warfare didn't win the war. It's a large and decisive battles which win the war. However many people think guerrilla warfare win (even Vietnamese themselves) because

_"we are peaceful","we're not warlike","we're weak, and poor"...bla...bla...bla !!!???
    _Guerrilla warfare actually lower invaders's moral which make them think they lose to it!
    _The term "guerrilla warfare" can be seen as a "unfair" and "coward" (and bad weather too) which in many cases used to explain the failure of the invasion and to blame the Viets as a coward, evil and uncivilized !
    _The legendary Viet Cong guerrilla fighters who "shaken" the world made people think Vietnamese are particular in guerrilla warfare

Also, I find it strange that medieval Japan had castles and no siege warfare. In Shogun Total War, castles merely provided a choke point, a doorway to defend. Didn't they think to close the door?
    Uhm actually you can take the fortresses with mere foot soldiers and ladders (if you have enough soldiers to throw away of course)! And there're many other ways to take the fortresses like send in spies, bribe, surround, dug tunnel...

The Chinese in general were never particularly expansionist, so sieges of "foreign" enemies weren't that common.
    No offensive here but both Chinese and Vietnamese are "quite" expansionist ! It's true.

According to history if there're a list of Asian's expansionists then...Mongolian first, then Chinese and the third is Viets!

Marcion's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by nhinhonhinho View Post
    Nope! Dai Viet in general avoid siege warfare. It have many reasons

That's why the Viet's army (as a smaller and lighter arms compared to China) thought still used fortresses but more often they (we) used terrain as their advance (and naval power too).

They (we) set ambush on the mountainous terrain or created a strong defensive line in the bank of large river. Actually Viet's army will face the enemy head on but often with terrain in their side.

1.Unlike the other Viet in many cases preferred to use terrain as a strong point and not depend too much on stronghold or cities!
    This is what I was trying to say. There weren't usually sieges because the Viet didn't use fortresses, but laid ambushes and used difficult terrain to their advantage. It's just easier to say "guerilla" to describe this because that's generally the term associated with that sort of thing. I had no idea it carried so many other connotations for you people...

Quote Originally Posted by nhinhonhinho View Post
    No offensive here but both Chinese and Vietnamese are "quite" expansionist ! It's true.

According to history if there're a list of Asian's expansionists then...Mongolian first, then Chinese and the third is Viets!
    I image Europe and Asia have different ideas of what expansionism is. But what I mean is launching full invasions against neighboring countries with the intent of taking them over completely, not just fighting border skirmishes or other limited scale wars. The border war with the Song ended with negotiations and compromise. And the Song themselves never seriously tried even to retake the north from the Jin, they were always too crippled by their own politics.

Ah actually the term "guerrilla" is to describe a small group of soldiers who's in general poorly equip and cause havoc with small scale harass, raid,...

If you're using a large force to ambush, used terrain as the advance and actually defeat a major or large force of your foes it's still "conversation" and face to face battle not "guerrilla"

I image Europe and Asia have different ideas of what expansionism is. But what I mean is launching full invasions against neighboring countries with the intent of taking them over completely, not just fighting border skirmishes or other limited scale wars. The border war with the Song ended with negotiations and compromise. And the Song themselves never seriously tried even to retake the north from the Jin, they were always too crippled by their own politics.
    expansionism are not just annex another country with 1 war! It including take another country piece by piece or force them to become vassal which ruled by puppet regime. In general it's including made the other country succumb to your country

However I'm agree that the Song didn't actually tried to take the north back

I though this mod is dead?
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricus View Post
    coma, not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricus View Post
    Dying not already death

coma? dead? dying? If this mod is dead then its producers are truly some lazy losing bastards. If you are hard at work making something good then kudos, keep at it but there is really no excuse for failure and broken promises especially after playing the 'done when its done card'
    Why do I feel that there is a need for chiding here? See my reason when I claim that because you announced this production, you may have prevented the innovation of other artists who had a similar idea. I work in the gaming industry and I started my professional life on projects like this so if THIS is what you love then take my strongly worded advice; keep at it! There are many people who are enthusiastic for this release so please fulfill your duty to them and complete your promises if you do so they will remain loyal fans to support you in whatever project you undertake. Thankyou.

Hey hey buddy pls don't mistake! I'm not a member of this mod developers!

I just said what i know

A big pity. the only mod set around most of asia. was really looking forward to this...

Give them some time guys! It usually takes me a month or 2 to successfully make a bloody map! Never mind the innovations and complicated game mechanics these guys are painstakingly building for you

Quote Originally Posted by redfury View Post
    coma? dead? dying? If this mod is dead then its producers are truly some lazy losing bastards. If you are hard at work making something good then kudos, keep at it but there is really no excuse for failure and broken promises especially after playing the 'done when its done card'
    Why do I feel that there is a need for chiding here? See my reason when I claim that because you announced this production, you may have prevented the innovation of other artists who had a similar idea. I work in the gaming industry and I started my professional life on projects like this so if THIS is what you love then take my strongly worded advice; keep at it! There are many people who are enthusiastic for this release so please fulfill your duty to them and complete your promises if you do so they will remain loyal fans to support you in whatever project you undertake. Thankyou.
    Then why don't you help out, using all your expertise in this field?

Then why don't you help out, using all your expertise in this field?
    If there are any members of this team who are motivated, please contact me and from there I can offer my advisory assistance.
    I'm not totally clear of the problems that this team face but at this point I can guess that it's an organisational deficiency. If they say it is 'lack of time', DO NOT take their word for it, bawl the hell out of them because what they're probably busy with is playing contant games.
    I'd also advise members of the community who want a future in the gaming industry, doing what you love love for money, to step up to this project by joining the team. If you think you don't know the skills, learn one of them, it is a seriously worthy art form.

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

No comment.

Ductus Exemplo
    Fas est et ab hoste doceri !
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.
    Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

There are many people asked to join the mod, but they can't. You think the mod team will ask an unknown people to join the mod?
    Bah...
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

coma? dead? dying? If this mod is dead then its producers are truly some lazy losing bastards.
    Real nice Hearing things like this really encourages me to work harder on the mod.

I'm not totally clear of the problems that this team face but at this point I can guess that it's an organisational deficiency. If they say it is 'lack of time', DO NOT take their word for it, bawl the hell out of them because what they're probably busy with is playing contant games.
    Redfury, as the leader and founder of this mod - I formally ask you to join the team - please let me know what your skill set is ? I take offense to most of your comments , but I am happy to work with you, if you bring something to mod.

Personally, I have not touched any gaming for about 6 months (haven't even played STW2 yet!) - same reason I have stopped modding. Adults living in the real world, with real jobs and a family don't actually have that much spare time. Perhaps you'll understand this one day. I mod to relax, so when I have time I will, often rather than gaming. As I have explained I am just been in China for 2 months on a business trip - please let know me know when I was meant to fit in modding during this period ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sconderix View Post
    Give them some time guys! It usually takes me a month or 2 to successfully make a bloody map! Never mind the innovations and complicated game mechanics these guys are painstakingly building for you
    Yes, the map is proving difficult as we've decided to make it bigger - by adding more to the South (Malay peinsula) and to the West (parts of India). This might have been a bad idea looking back but I am determined to finish it.

What we need is more skilled people (unit makers, coders, scripters) - not more time/better organisation. I am the only person at the moment capable of producing any artwork/models, one single person. Compare that to the size of a modteam like EBII . So, the door is open...I welcome anybody with ability to join us and help save AUH.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Yelü Dashi View Post
    Real nice Hearing things like this really encourages me to work harder on the mod.
    Wow, so you ARE working on this mod?!

New stuff here

Pazu the Kitsune's Avatar Shopkeeper

I bow before you, Yelu Dashi, who brings mods back from the brink of death

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,"

-First lines to the poem "If-" (by Rudyard Kipling)

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Yelu Dashi deserves all the praise he gets.

coming out right away? wait a long time?