Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: AUH: Official Q&A and FAQ

Marcion's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: AUH: Official Q&A and FAQ

It's one of those factions no one seems to care about. But you'll care about them after this. I guarantee it.

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

cool i could guess but it would possibly be.... nah its gonna be fine though hint hint 'i will find out'

omulurimaru's Avatar Libertus
    Who knows where it will be tomorrow? If we'll go bankrupt I'll return to Istanbul/i Poli.

You know... when people ask you how much of it is ready or something to that effect, they're not really asking for a percentage and they're definitely not asking you to hurry up.

Most of the time the real thing they want to ask is "Should I check on this again in like... 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, or more?"

Because, personally, I won't be ckeching on this forums every other day, you can all bet on that. And like me I could guess there are a lot of people. I mean, I know you'd like it... in terms of number of visits to the threads, exposure to the advertising and so on and possibly even becoming involved in the project. Ok, nice endeavour and thanks very much for doing this but on the checking on these forums every day... thanks but no thanks. I kind of have a life... quite a demanding one since the economic crisis.

And you could also safely bet that like me are a lot of other people who at the end of the day (so to speak) decide to return to the forums in another 6 months or the next year. Kind of makes you wonder why you're putting so much effort into making this thing in the first place...

Look for example the people who make Broken Crescent hve plainly stated in their forums that the next release will be in about a year. That's decency. In exactly one year, I'll check on it again.

What you guys say it's basically "Who knows? It could be tomorrow, it could be in one week, it could be in 10 years." I don't know what THAT is. I mean I guess you DO know whether it's tomorrow or not. There would basically be no point for a lot of people to spend precious time every other day checking on your progress, if you would plainly tell something to the effect "it's not gonna be in the next 5 months" and while I could understand that you don't know EXACTLY when it's gonna be ready, you could have told everyone when you're shure it's NOT gonna be.

Yeeeeeeeeeesh, you people.

If I had to give a real, honest opinion, it's going to be a year or more before we have something for the public. Unless of course we have some major change in direction, which could happen. *cough*incremental release*cough* Our preview schedule is extremely irregular though, consult the I Ching for that.

As to why we do this to begin with, well, I couldn't speak for everyone. But I really just want to see this thing get done, no matter how long it takes. This could be such an awesome mod, and whatever I can do for it, I'm willing to do it. That's really all there is to it. I want to play this as much as you guys.

Find something better to do if you find yourself checking this board more than once a week (and you're not working on the mod). Just enjoy The Wait

Who knows where it will be tomorrow? If we'll go bankrupt I'll return to Istanbul/i Poli.

That's exactly it, I've got a lot of things to do and that's why people generally ask for a timeframe.

So, I see that the attitude is gone for which, my respects. So I figure that the whole thing might not be read till at least say 1.5 - 2 years from now. So now I know when to check back.

Because usually busy people when they see the secretive shroud and the mystery of it all and the smug attitude usually just become irritated and don't return to the forum. Fullstop. Some of them do -- in one year or 3 or more. When time is short one seeks quick information. If the information is not there one is prone to give up and go about his business. I mean the mod seems like it's gonna be great, but it's only so much time it can be worth.

Also sorry for the much corosive piece of text I've posted in another thred around here. Basically I haven't been on the forum for a year and a half and now I've been downloading the new releases (I have no idea when I'm gonna be playing them) and everyone's so secretive (in many mod forums) about the next release timeframe as if they are 3rd world beurocrats speaking about the new internal regulations. After a while it makes you go nuts say a few nice things about it all and pretty much give up on trying and go about your business again.

The AUH just had the bad luck of being the last forum I've checked....

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Marcion, giving estimates is dangerous, even if they only indicate something it can get peoples hopes up, I suggest you to leave them to our modleaders please.

Good advice Wundai. I don't really like the direction this thread was taking. Marcion doesn't speak for the team, although he seems to like to 'interact' with our fans (and his role is currently one of research/text descriptions). If you realised how small our team was you, how few dedicated researchers or unit artists we have (I count them on one hand) you might then all appreciate how we have no idea how long AUH will take to complete. I work on it because I enjoy it, and I want to see it through. In fact I am surprised we have made the progress we have done. I accept that our relationship with fans is poor. If we had more people in the team then this might help.

@omulurimaru: The BC team (of which I am a member) has a huge base to work on and keen new members joining all the time. They have limited scope for BC3 but its still brave of them to state a year is enough. Will fans react badly if its longer ? I find it hard to believe you are not going to check their forum for a year, that just shows a lack interest in discussions that make mod forums important. if you're only interested in previews though I can send a PM everytime we're about to release one, that way you won't waste your own precious time and ours moaning on our boards....sound fair enough ?

We are creating a total converison with factions never before brought to life in an RTS mod/game, where historical research is lacking or obsure, and we are trying to innovate gameplay in exciting new ways. If you have anything to offer to help us speed up the process, please get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wundai View Post
    Marcion, giving estimates is dangerous, even if they only indicate something it can get peoples hopes up, I suggest you to leave them to our modleaders please.
    Getting hopes up? Notice how I said "a year or more" not "within a year" or "exactly one year." I don't think anyone is going to have a great surge of hope at that, it's a minimum time to completion, not a deadline. I don't care if other people disagree with that, but I do have full access to the dev board, and I see all the progress we're making. I do text, research, and I've been trying to do a lot of the gameplay design too. And while that's what I do for this, my actual profession is far more technical. So yes, given how few people are actively working, it's going to take a good long time. Please start helping if you can.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

I am under the assumption that mods usually take a really long time, so I never expect a release anytime soon for any mod.

Wlesmanas LOTR TW has taken more than 3 years and is still being worked on, but then again he did most of it himself, and isnt modding RTW much harder than M2TW?

If anything, im looking forward to the previews more than the mod itself because I dont own M2TW yet, so even if its released tomorrow I still wouldn't be able to have it.

Anyways, If the future previews are anything like the Songs, then things will be wicked awesome!

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by James the Red View Post
    I am under the assumption that mods usually take a really long time, so I never expect a release anytime soon for any mod.

Wlesmanas LOTR TW has taken more than 3 years and is still being worked on, but then again he did most of it himself, and isnt modding RTW much harder than M2TW?

If anything, im looking forward to the previews more than the mod itself because I dont own M2TW yet, so even if its released tomorrow I still wouldn't be able to have it.

Anyways, If the future previews are anything like the Songs, then things will be wicked awesome!

James why didn't you bring up RNJ?

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

@ omulurimaru: Your concerns have been addressed with the creation of a mailing list. You may subscribe to that list and you will receive updates about the mod without having to actively check the forum. If none of the methods present in that thread suit your needs, there's not a whole lot more we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelü Dashi View Post
    @omulurimaru: The BC team (of which I am a member) has a huge base to work on and keen new members joining all the time. They have limited scope for BC3 but its still brave of them to state a year is enough. Will fans react badly if its longer ? I find it hard to believe you are not going to check their forum for a year, that just shows a lack interest in discussions that make mod forums important. if you're only interested in previews though I can send a PM everytime we're about to release one, that way you won't waste your own precious time and ours moaning on our boards....sound fair enough ?
    It's not exactly lack of interest, I'd love to stay and chat, but unfortunately time is kind of short for me. In fact I'm surprised I even found the time today to take another look at things around. I'm sure you've heard of the trouble there is in Greece economically. You know private companies are also affected and my father's company might just have to close things off in Greece as well -- which is the last place except for Turkey where we haven't closed off yet. So I kind of have little time for forums, no matter how much I like the game (and actually even finding time to play has become hard..)

So, because I'm sure the modders themselves are having the same kind of troubles and issues in their lives I was just asking when they're sure it's NOT gonna be ready. And I'm kind of satisfied that I've got an answer. Basically all I've been told it's that it's surely not gonna be ready in a year (not that after a year it's surely gonna be ready, that's not what the guy said), so certainly I won't be disapointed if I find it's not ready yet after a year. Having this kind of an answer generally keeps me from completely giving up from checking on these forums.

Also, thanks for the info, Augustus, I didn't notice that....
    Last edited by omulurimaru; May 20, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Just enjoy The Wait
    The Weight?

This space intentionally left blank.

ZenBoy's Avatar Libertus

Boring discussion about release dates ...

Hello AUH Team,
    I got a big fan of RTW / MTW mods during the last years...and finally found this side.
    A mod a bout China and Japan is a GREAT idea . So I ve red all you´ve posted so far, and Im absolutely hooked.
    I really hope you are going on with it, while CA is planning for Shogun 2 ?
    (Your map really looks awesome right now. The Japanese faction , too )

Greetings and good luck to you modders

PS : Im going to have my eyes on this thread

Patrician Citizen

Yes, we are not stopping the production of AUH on account of Shogun II. The time periods and coverage are completely different, and the modding capabilities of the S2 platform have yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Yes, we are not stopping the production of AUH on account of Shogun II.
    Good, because Shogun is just in Japan I am guessin, this is all of east Asia and SE Asia. Way more interesting.

Also please dont put Panda Calvary......

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bengalg3 View Post
    Good, because Shogun is just in Japan I am guessin, this is all of east Asia and SE Asia. Way more interesting.

Also please dont put Panda Calvary......
    For every post that mentions Panda Cavalry, another unit is cut from the roster to add more Panda Cavalry.

Oh hey I just mentioned Panda Cavalry! Only about 200 slots and counting left for other units...

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    For every post that mentions Panda Cavalry, another unit is cut from the roster to add more Panda Cavalry.

Oh hey I just mentioned Panda Cavalry! Only about 200 slots and counting left for other units...

lol

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

Will you add an ancillary about the "Art of War" by "Sun Tzu" ? (I'm not sure but it could already be in the game)

Sorry if someone already asked this, I haven't read all questions.

Panda Cavalry??? wow I never knew that kind of cavalry existed