Thread: AUH: The Team (inc. Recruitment Information)

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default AUH: The Team (inc. Recruitment Information)

Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; October 19, 2011 at 07:49 AM.

Patrician Citizen

Default Re: AUH: The Team

Joining the Team

Recruitment Status: Open
    Preferred Form of Contact: PM Yelü Dashi

Available Positions

Historian
    Text Descriptions
    2D Artist
    Coder (Basic)
    Coder (Traiter)
    Coder (Mechanic)
    Coder (AI)
    Modeler
    Skinner

(Note: Besides the listed positions, we will also accept help in other areas from experienced modders who know what they're doing and would like to contribute.)

In the future:

Text Translation
    Voiceovers
    Battle Scripter

Job Descriptions

Historian

Experience Requisite: No experience requisites, academic pursuit in the field is recommended.

Your Job: The gathering of research material and interpretation of material into in-game equivalents. Raw research has to be of extreme quality if the researcher cannot also help convert it into game equivalents. Stagnant researchers are common and will be removed from the team if work is sub-par or lacking in investment. All researchers must agree to the following five tenets:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1) We expect a fair level of activity. Doesn't need to be hyper, but a post a month won't suffice, especially if other areas are lacking.

2) Historians need to be able to interpret and present historical information in their own words with the aid of primary sources. No degrees are required, but we've had a few "researchers" who felt they could post random pictures or quote website articles verbatim and that counted as research. That is not up to standard for us, because we could do that ourselves.

3) Unless research is of university quality and so much can be gleaned from the sheer proficiency of the interpreted information, a researcher needs to understand or be willing to learn enough about game mechanics to help interpret history into quantifiable things that can be put in the mod.

"Zhu Xi was a Neo-Confucian thinker who was a main player in the cultural development of China."

That's all well and good, but as a coder, that does me no good unless I asked for that specific piece of information. On the other hand:

You: Zhu Xi was a Neo-Confucian thinker who was a main player in the cultural development of China.
    Me: So how can that be represented in game terms?
    You: He could possibly be an ancillary until his death.
    Me: Okay good. Here's a list of possible bonuses ancillaries can give. Help me understand what he should provide for a player and how a player might go about obtaining him(the more specific and directly interpretable the better).
    You: He would give a small influence bonus and a large piety bonus. There'd only be one of him obviously, and it could be obtained by being in a settlement with a well-developed Daoxue temple, about a 5% chance.

On that information I could set it up almost exactly. The important thing is I'm supposed to know more about the game mechanics and researchers more about the history, but if I have to take the raw data, figure out the game implications, determine its usage, and then do the implementation on top of that, I may as well have got the raw data myself. Catch my drift?

4) Need to be willing to do independent research with the goal of developing the mod, specifically in the more integral sections. The above Zhu Xi example is what I'd call 'fluff', one unique ancillary doesn't make a game, in fact it's only present 0.01% of the time in the game experience. Also should keep tabs on all threads where artists and coders are posting about things they're working on or need to be worked on and be willing to shift focus to aid those efforts.

5) Finally and perhaps most importantly, need to understand that everything posted within the Dev forum is completely confidential and can only be authorized for public display by the mod leaders. The second anyone finds leaked information from the dev forums attributed to a dev, it's off the team no questions asked and no quarter given.

Text Descriptions

Experience Requisite: Fluent comprehension of English, including grammar. British and American dialects both acceptable and can be used interchangeably, as we have not the luxury to force conformity on our z' and s'.

Your Job: Take non-existent descriptions and fashion them for things like traits, buildings, ancillaries, events, units, etc. and modify existing descriptions to be more extensive, utilize proper grammar, and correct any spelling or phrasing mistakes.

2D Artist

Experience Requisite: Skill with GIMP or Photoshop in the creation of original 2D Art. Examples of work recommended.

Your Job: Produce pictures to accompany events, buildings, ancillaries, officer/agent portraits, loading screens, and other manner of 2D Art. May also involve skinning, but main focus for 2D Artists is in the miscellaneous 2D Art of the game, rather than the units.

Coder (Basic)

Experience Requisite: Must understand the syntax of some basic files and have experience writing code for them.

Your Job: Includes quotes, names, strat changes, buildings, traits, and ancillaries. Involves studious documentation of changes made for the purpose of patch creation without the aid of SVN.

Coder (Traiter)

Experience Requisite: Must be acquainted with utilizing traits and ancillaries to represent more complex systems and understand detailed triggers and abstract trait usages. Examples of work recommended.

Your Job: Develop generic trait systems in place of vanilla, both simple and complex. Collaborate with scripting to implement trait systems which involve crossover.

Coder (Mechanics)

Experience Requisite: Requires a complex knowledge of game factors and a keen eye for balance. Past experience with TW mods required.

Your Job: Modify values such as building cost and capabilities, unit stats, scripting effects, etc. with the primary focus of attaining a properly balanced game. Not necessarily concerned with the systems themselves but more so with their impact on the overall game ebb and flow.

Coder (AI)

Experience Requisite: Requires experience crafting challenging Campaign and/or Battle AI in TW games. Citing of past experience or qualifications is recommended.

Your Job: Craft a battle and/or campaign AI specifically for usage with All Under Heaven. In the field of campaign AI particularly there is a differentiation methodology of campaign profiles that needs to be fleshed out.

Modeler

Experience Requisite: Skill with Milkshape, 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush, or other 3D Modeling programs. All modelers must meet the quality standard already displayed by our current modelers, so as to keep the same quality across the board. Ability to UV Map effectively is a bonus. Examples of work required.

Your Job: Model units and/or buildings based on concept art and images for skinning.

Skinner

Experience Requisite: Skill with Photoshop, GIMP, or other 2D art software programs. All skinners must meet the quality standard already displayed by our current skinners, so as to keep the same quality across the board. Skill with normal mapping is a bonus. Examples of work required.

Your Job: Skin units and buildings that have been modeled based on concept art and some creative freedom.
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; October 19, 2011 at 07:51 AM.

Patrician Citizen

Default Re: AUH: The Team

Credit

Bwian - Animations Help
    xeryx and XAI Team - XAI
    KnightErrant & Argantonio - World Editor and Tools
    Ran No Jidai Team - Help & Support
    Broken Crescent Team - Help & Support
    Europa Barbarorum - Help & Support; Inspiration of systems
    Charge - Map Textures for previews
    SigniferOne - Help
    gigantus - Mod Folder Elements
    alpaca - Mod Folder Elements
    Everyone who helps out in the Workshop
    The fans
    (Check the preview threads for updated lists relevant to showcased material, if you feel you've assisted the mod in some way send a PM explaining it so adding you to the contributions section can be assessed.)
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; August 25, 2009 at 03:40 PM.