Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: DLV Europa Released

Default Re: DLV Europa Released

Quote Originally Posted by ReichMaster420 View Post
    ive always had those ctds for dlv, click more then 1 faction(2 if im lucky) at select screen and ctd.. it sucks i know but apprently nothing can be done as its a bug when factions amount to more then vanilla(iirc, something along thoselines)

sucks i know, i like to read faction descrips and get right into the game before i even start the campaign
    What I meant was that it crashes whilst first loading the campaign not whilst at the Faction selection screen, although that has happened too!

Wartower's Avatar Civis

Yeah, when a mod has over 25 factions or something like that, it will always CTD on the 3rd faction selected in a row.

Alright, here's my error log and it's the same as the others posted here. Just to let you know, I whipped out my old DOS skills I learned 10 centuries ago and started messing with the .cfg files using the cmd prompt editor. Even taking DLV_ext.cfg and merging it with medieval2.DLV_Europa.cfg and basically leaving the pathing the same does nothing to fix the CTD. Based on having the same error log as others, I can only assume that it's the trait not firing properly that's the cause of our woes. Probably something easy to fix for modders, but a whole new world for me. However, it's just a text file so I'm going to see if I can fix it!

22:01:31.867 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    22:01:31.867 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
    22:01:31.882 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    22:01:31.882 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    22:01:31.882 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    22:01:31.882 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    22:01:31.882 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    22:01:31.882 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    22:01:40.627 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/DLV_Europa/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 15598, column 46
    trigger not found
    22:01:43.392 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

this is what im getting

we should only have trait(Student) additional affects for triggers(UneducatedM)
    19:13:32.531 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/retrofit/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 37178, column 26 :
    we should only have trait(NoEducation) additional affects for triggers(UneducatedM)
    19:13:32.546 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/retrofit/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 38749, column 31 :
    we should only have trait(MilitaryGraduate) additional affects for triggers(End_Military_Student)
    19:13:32.578 [data.missing] [warning] Failed to find ancillary image data/ui/ancillaries/Tokus_Cath_KNIGHT_BANNERET_32.tga
    19:13:32.625 [data.missing] [warning] Failed to find ancillary image data/ui/ancillaries/tokus_santiago1.tga
    19:13:32.890 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/retrofit/data/text/export_prologue.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:13:32.890 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/retrofit/data/text/export_prologue.txt is missing
    19:13:34.156 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

ive had it launch twice, every other attempts is error..

Wartower's Avatar Civis

I tried going into DLV_ext/data and copying the export_descr_character_trait.txt file directly from DLV open beta 3 into harry's, but this created a whole different set of string errors. Most likely from the different versions of the core DLV game being used. The frustrating part is that I believe this to be a very simple coding error, but I don't know exactly which version of DLV Harry is using for Europa, and even if I did, he has most likely made changes to the character_trait file to suit his needs for Europa, so that won't do me any good either.

I'll continue to work on it.

ive given up, ive tried many different combinations of code all with the same result, ctd with fluke chance of actual launch

i dont know alot about modding, tw is only thing ive ever modded/messed around with code

im not too sure if it has todo with the missing character_traits file etc, ive had these pop up in plenty mods with no actual effect on game

i tihnk its something to do with europa and the cfg-bat files it uses/recognizes but i was i knew more about this stuff..

i am ultimatly bummed out now, guess ill have to wait 1 more day untill this issue can hopefully be resolved for the lot of us.

if i could just get it to launch out of fluke now id be happy, lol
    Last edited by ReichMaster420; January 11, 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Wartower's Avatar Civis

No, I sincerely don't think it has anything to do with the .cfg file at all. I went to Harry's filefront page and there found DLV 5.3 data files that had the export_descr_character_traits and VnV.text file. These were different than then ones that came with the Europa download. My guess is that these were the trait files that Harry started with when he began modding Europa, hence being there as a backup on filefront. But the fact remains that using either the newest regular DLV _traits.txt or the other ones that I found on filefront from 5.3 (which is the version that Harry mentioned that he thought he used for this mod) to overwrite the export_descr_character_traits.txt that came with this release of the mod caused a different set of errors relating to mismatched coding on the traits and ancillaries.

I'm willing to bet my left testicle that what is causing these CTD's, based on what's in the error log, is a typo or something minute like that in the .txt file.

*EDIT* As I'm rather fond of the aforementioned left testicle of mine, I would rather try a few more things before making such a brash statement! I might not be the most computer savvy chap out there, but troubleshooting is what gets my juices flowing. I've noticed a few things. First, not that many people are having the same error we are. Second, I'm pretty confident a lot of people have downloaded this, people that would post here if they were having the same problem. Third, it seems that the one thing we have in common is that we're all running 1.04 patch for Kingdoms. I didn't even realize that there was a 1.05 patch as I haven't run my normal launcher since I started playing mods. I've patched up now and will reinstall this mod and let you know how it goes!
    Last edited by Wartower; January 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartower View Post
    No, I sincerely don't think it has anything to do with the .cfg file at all. I went to Harry's filefront page and there found DLV 5.3 data files that had the export_descr_character_traits and VnV.text file. These were different than then ones that came with the Europa download. My guess is that these were the trait files that Harry started with when he began modding Europa, hence being there as a backup on filefront. But the fact remains that using either the newest regular DLV _traits.txt or the other ones that I found on filefront from 5.3 (which is the version that Harry mentioned that he thought he used for this mod) to overwrite the export_descr_character_traits.txt that came with this release of the mod caused a different set of errors relating to mismatched coding on the traits and ancillaries.

I'm willing to bet my left testicle that what is causing these CTD's, based on what's in the error log, is a typo or something minute like that in the .txt file.

*EDIT* As I'm rather fond of the aforementioned left testicle of mine, I would rather try a few more things before making such a brash statement! I might not be the most computer savvy chap out there, but troubleshooting is what gets my juices flowing. I've noticed a few things. First, not that many people are having the same error we are. Second, I'm pretty confident a lot of people have downloaded this, people that would post here if they were having the same problem. Third, it seems that the one thing we have in common is that we're all running 1.04 patch for Kingdoms. I didn't even realize that there was a 1.05 patch as I haven't run my normal launcher since I started playing mods. I've patched up now and will reinstall this mod and let you know how it goes!
    That patch is what I thought the inital problem was in the first place and it seemed to fix a few games I guess, but for me it was a no go so I don't think that's the problem.

I've tried a few tricks I know of but nothing worked, sadly I'm more of a graphics guy then a coder. Guess I'll stick with 5.83 till Harry and rip it up and find the problem. Congrats to all the lucky bastards who got it working.

im patched to 1.05 so im not too sure..

ive managed to get it loading and have started a campaign with norway, everything other then the launch problems seems to be normal(with exception of minor ui bugs)

if it were to do with char_traits, i think everyone would be having this problem.. unless our downloads were corrupted maybe

cfg still seems more likly imo, i know alot of xp/vista users have had different problems with it in different mods

bc for example, i had the same launch problem untill i used the vista cfg fix(im widows xp btw) so go figure..:hmmm:

well i can get it to launch after numerous attempts atleast

good luck in your patch wartower, hopefully that will set things strait for you

in the mean time, good luck guys keep trying..
    Last edited by ReichMaster420; January 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Wartower's Avatar Civis

I'm sorry guys. I patched to 1.05, same problem. I actually went into the export_descr_character_traits.txt file, to the exact line and column specified by the error log. It's the 2nd to last set of conditions for season related triggers, in the block "ItsWinterNow". I compared that txt code to the export_descr_character_traits.txt files from DLV_ext (regular DLV) and with the same file from DLV 5.3. That same block looked identical on all 3. Now just to be sure, I deleted Europa's and pasted, one at a time, from the other two trait.txt files. No fix. So I'm stumped! No regrets though, because I've learned quite a lot tonight and I'm happy about that at least.

I'm going to try a few more things, but in reality, I bet Harry and/or repman will laugh their asses off when they fix this problem with something simple, and see all of my idiotic posts that led to a huge NON-FIX!!!

It's not the trait error you're seeing in the log. It's an old DLV error, it's been around sense either DLV 3.0 or 4.0, forget which. Not sure where the bug is that we're all hitting. I've got kingdoms patched to 1.05, set it to run as if it were windows XP (stupid Vista sometimes), those are the usual reasons a mod crashes, so I'm just going to wait until Harry is back and see what solution he's got. For those getting it to work, how is it?

Wartower's Avatar Civis

It was great when I was playing. Loaded fine right off the bat. Other than the few minor things that I posted, everything was wonderful.

And yeah, you are all probably right. It's not the traits, it's most likely in that damn .cfg file. I have messed with it quite a bit now and nothing works. For some reason, even after I had played and saved a game and what not, it still didnt save my preferences in the .cfg file. Both my regular DLV and BC .cfg's have my settings in it but not the Europa one. Even before these CTD's started happening. I pasted all of my preferences info in the right spots in the europa.cfg, but to no avail. There is a dlv.cfg fix that I haven't messed with, but it looks like it simply combines the prefereces.cfg with the dlv_ext.cfg. Perhaps its something that the Europa.cfg is not doing. I don't know.

Back to working on this.

*EDIT* - Did some more research on this and here's what I found in the DLV 5.74 Bug Report thread:

23:59:11.164 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:59:11.179 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    23:59:11.226 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:59:11.226 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:59:11.226 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:59:11.226 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:59:11.226 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:59:11.257 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:59:20.257 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in DLV_ext/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 15191, column 46
    trigger not found
    00:00:52.585 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit

Lo and behold. The exact same error log that people were posting when they would CTD after they hit End Turn is the same one we are having before we can even get to the menus. I think this might be the famous, "CTD on Hungary's Turn" which is something I haven't dealth with since installing 5.83 open beta. Here's what I don't get. That bug=during AI's turn phase. This Europa bug=splash screen CTD.

For the record, I have tried every .cfg fix that I can find on these forums and none have worked.
    Last edited by Wartower; January 12, 2009 at 01:43 AM.

Tiro

Download and playing as of right now. Have to say that it quite a refreshing change from DLV. Nice to have a developed nation at the beginning, as it lends to some nice battles.

Boy are them units was more expensive now as I need to adjust my playstyle to account for the cost. Nice, considering I cannot have huge armies to begin with and really have to pick and choose my battles.

Haven't had any problems yet with installation and running DLV Europa, though I do tend to manually install and modify the cfg before running it.

Played about 20 turns as England with no crashes so far. Don't know if this is a graphical glitch on working as intended, but I get a transparent heraldry of Ireland when I hover over the mission icon.

Also, I love the map that you have created for this mod. Great work on that.

Wartower's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Gaias View Post
    Download and playing as of right now. Have to say that it quite a refreshing change from DLV. Nice to have a developed nation at the beginning, as it lends to some nice battles.

Boy are them units was more expensive now as I need to adjust my playstyle to account for the cost. Nice, considering I cannot have huge armies to begin with and really have to pick and choose my battles.

Haven't had any problems yet with installation and running DLV Europa, though I do tend to manually install and modify the cfg before running it.

Played about 20 turns as England with no crashes so far. Don't know if this is a graphical glitch on working as intended, but I get a transparent heraldry of Ireland when I hover over the mission icon.

Also, I love the map that you have created for this mod. Great work on that.
    Modify how? Lil help here would be appreciated.

I'm done working on this. After spending these last hours sifting through DLV bug reports and trying everything that I come across, I've had it. Bed time. For the record, here's what I've done after clean installs and it did NOT work. Vista 32 user here in case that was overlooked.

Set compat to run with XP Service Pack 2. Set to Run as Administrator.
    Deleted map.rwr or whatever the exact extension is.
    Deleted all .bin string files from data/text folder.
    Deleted descr_geography files (db and txt)
    Modified export_descr_character_traits at area where error code was showing. The "-1" was never the problem as it's still listed as that in DLV Open Beta 3.
    Modified medieval2.DLV_Europa.cfg to reflect all reported Vista Fixes, ie. adding:

[video]
    widescreen=0
    movies = false

[game]
    allusers=1 (this value was preset with the medieval2.DLV_Europa.cfg. I even took out the auto_save=0, then put it back in and changed it's value to "1". Tried copying preferences.cfg into Europa.cfg while leaving original pretty much alone.

Modified Europa.cfg file 50 different ways, not knowing whether spaces in between "=" meant anything. Added in things from Broken Crescent and regular DLV cfg. files that were not in Europa.cfg files. BC and reg DLV work fine, of course.

Again, sorry for not finding the solution, but I'm confident that it's a carry-over from the older DLV version being used as the basis for this mod. Need to reclarify, this is not the Vista 64 bit issue with DLV as I'm not only a 32 bit user, but have had almost no problems whatsoever with DLV Open Beta_3 or any other mods for that matter. I hope all of this feedback helps you Harry or Repman...whoever comes up with a solution first. I have tried every single thing but the thing that works. All I know is that I am so pizzed off that I could easily throw this computer out the window and never look back. I don't see how you guys do the modding thing. Trying to fix this one bug feels like I've aged by a decade.
    Last edited by Wartower; January 12, 2009 at 03:33 AM.

do we need patch 1.5 to play ?

Hello There Harry

Can't wait to try this mod tonbight. Am v excited.

As a mercenary junkie could your good self or someone else provide me with a list of mercs? Is it as big as Stainless Steel? As interesting as Broken Crosecent (Love those Italian Mercenaries!)????

Cheers and Very Well Done on the Mod!

Sharrow
    The Devshirme
    On the night the scarlet horsemen took him away - from all that he knew and all he might have known - the moon waxed full in Scorpio, sign of his birth, and as if by the hand of God its incandescence split the alpine valley sheer into that which was dark and that which was light, and the light lit the path of devils to his door.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

near Nicea i saw i could recruit craploads of balkan/asia minor troops. good infantry, archers, cavalry u name it. and byzantine is suppose to rely more on mercs in this period :-D

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Really? Great!

Kingdom of Sicily game here we come!

Is there a way of extracting a list from the game files? My knowlege of the mechanics of DLV is sketchy to say the least!
    The Devshirme
    On the night the scarlet horsemen took him away - from all that he knew and all he might have known - the moon waxed full in Scorpio, sign of his birth, and as if by the hand of God its incandescence split the alpine valley sheer into that which was dark and that which was light, and the light lit the path of devils to his door.

Reporting back:

After installing the Kingdoms 1.05 patch and setting the compatibility to XP SP2 (i still hate vista) it's working fine for me. About 20-30 turns in with Mali and no CTD yet.

Not sure why, but all is good. Thank you!

Tiro

I am also running Vista 32 and I didn't really do anything special with the installation.

1. Installed both parts into a seperate folder and then copied them into a new single folder. Uninstalled the two parts after that.

2. Moved the DLV_Europa folder into my main Medieval II Total War directory, along with the data\DLV_Europa sub folders.

3. Took the DLV_ext.cfg from DLV 5.8 beta 3 and edited the line "mod = DLV_ext" to "mod = DLV_Europa" why renaming the cfg to DLV_Europa.cfg. Also did the same with the Launch_DLV_ext.bat by editing the line "kingdoms.exe @DLV_ext.cfg" to "kingdoms.exe @DLV_Europa.cfg", while renaming the file to DLV_Europa_Launcher.bat.

4. Made a shortcut to desktop of the bat file and have been playing this great mod every since.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by mrcosta View Post
    do we need patch 1.5 to play ?
    It has been tested on 1.5 & 1.4 patch. It should work with both.

@Wartower

I feel your pain, man. It sucks that you can't enjoy this mod as I know how much you were looking forward to it. As you did get it running once though I'm really not sure what the problem is, an intermittent problem is always the hardest to fix. I would advise not to alter the CFG or BAT file too much though (or always back-up the originals first) as you could be creating your own problems. Gaias' suggestion sounds pretty solid, it's worth a go. Also are you American, Wartower?
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39