Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Ages: Rome

Icon1 Grand Ages: Rome

Since this site is mainly for RTW buffs, I'd pass on the info that a similar game called Grand Ages: Rome will be released in March.

It will feature city-building (3D), economics (resource-based) and an improved battle system. I missed the first two elements from Rome: Total War.

The trailers and screenshots look well done enough for me, I think I might pick up this game. What do you think?

Gamespot page for Grand Ages: Rome
    Trailer 1
    Trailer 2
    Screenshots

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; January 11, 2009 at 05:48 AM.

Default Re: Grand Ages: Rome

Looks cool. Probably gonna get it.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Looks interesting.
    Kinda sad that again, you see legionairs charging with their pilums.

I will get it if it is under £20

It's the sequel to Imperium Romanum. I wasn't impressed by IR as it was just another city builder in the same vein as CivCity Rome and Caesar IV. If it gets a decent review and is under £20, I may consider it, but in my eyes, it's nothing to get too excited about.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

If they are going to copy Rome Total War they shouldnt copy the graphical quality as well at this point in time.

From a distance it looks good but those legionares with the blue shields show how little detail there is up close, at least on those troops. And if they are not consistent in quality considering graphics, then its definatly not a game to take seriously.

If they are going to copy Rome Total War
    It's not a Total War clone. Think more along the lines of Caesar IV or CivCity Rome.

In that case it is quite nice.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Who the hell charges horses at elephants (see the trailer)?!?

Quote Originally Posted by trailer
    Sequel to the Bestseller Imperivm Romanvm
    Yeah right. Compared to what? What did out sell? Rome: Total War? Very unlikely.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Yeah right. Compared to what? What did out sell? Rome: Total War? Very unlikely.
    Thats just attacted to everything now. If a book was released last week they'd call it a best seller, means nothing really.

To me it looks alright. The first screenshot looks like one of those where they set it up with an editor to make it look like there is some cool, in-game feature. Anything is better then Caesar IV anyway

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Thats just attacted to everything now. If a book was released last week they'd call it a best seller, means nothing really.

To me it looks alright. The first screenshot looks like one of those where they set it up with an editor to make it look like there is some cool, in-game feature. Anything is better then Caesar IV anyway
    I played the demo of Caesar IV and it nearly ruined my memories of Caesar 3.

jimmy spong's Avatar Campidoctor

sth like civcity rome ?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    I played the demo of Caesar IV and it nearly ruined my memories of Caesar 3.
    Ahhh, why don't they make games like Caesar 3 and Pharaoh anymore?

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I liked CivCity: Rome. What I really want is an old-school city-builder like Zeus or Emperor, though.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Hate city builders. Seems like such a waste of time, kind of like the Sims and similar games. Don't buy many games and this one doesn't look that fantastic.

From their website

US Release Date: March 9, 2009

"GRAND AGES ROME" is the long awaited sequel to the best-selling strategy game "Imperium Romanum".

You are a Governor of a Roman Province in the time-honoured Roman Empire, its fortune very much lies in your hands. Choose one of five Roman noble families such as Caesar's Julii with different abilities to accomplish the comprehensive missions. Defend yourself against barbarian tribes, trade with other cultures, build a wealthy economic environment and fullfil the needs of your people in a huge single player campaign or with up to 3 human players in the multiplayer mode!

And remember - even Rome was not build in a day!

- Non-linear single player campaign with 40 missions.
    - Enhanced, multilevelled economic system and sea trade
    - RTS-like battle system and comprehensive research opportunities
    - 18 different warfare abilities for your units (like Praetorians, War Elephants, Triarii, etc.)
    - Lively huge historical locations like Cyrene, Lugdunum or Rome
    - Character development system leads through timeline of history
    - Naval warfare and colonization of islands
    - Multiplayer mode with many different types of gameplay (co-operative, etc.)
    - Full english speech

Honestly i think the best city builder was ceasar 2. I never played ceasar 3 because they simplified the province map, which to me was one of the most interesting aspect of the game. In C2 you actually had to build farms outside the city, forts for your legions, seaports for trade and wharehouses to hold the goods from trade and farming. And build a road system to connect all these things to your city and other smaller towns. When an army invaded you had a chance to intercept them before they reached your city, and the battles were handled like total war. Although on a primative level.

Imagine a total war game where the focus, instead of a huge empire, was on a province level with a good city builder thrown in the mix. With battles being fought like RTW.That would be a game i'd like to play.

Icon1 Re: Grand Ages: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Hate city builders. Seems like such a waste of time, kind of like the Sims and similar games. Don't buy many games and this one doesn't look that fantastic.

Perhaps try the game first, then have an opinion.

building up a fine city can be an accomplishment to feel good about, personly I dont like it when it gets too deep, I can handle quite a fair amount of depth, but at some point it becomes annoying to me.

I just tried out the demo. It's good!

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

i left my pc all day while i downloaded the demo the other day and the thing didnt download waste. (my net is currently really slow.. wireless in stormy weather conditions isnt good.. so it takes like 3 hours to download the bastard)

but im downloading it again as we speak.. i always loved the ceasar series and im hoping theres some good oldskool times to be had in glorious 3d with this game. Something a little different from the usual stuff anyway can be a nice relief.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast