Thread: Polish place names

Default Polish place names

Here are some tiny changes you can make to polish place names if you want.

In the file m2tw/dlv_ext/data/text

find the file "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt"

change {Breslau_Province} Duchy of Silesia

to {Breslau_Province} Słask

the "ł" is character U+0142 in character map (small l with stroke)

change {Peremyshl_Province} Principality of Peremyshl
    to {Peremyshl_Province} Grody Czerwieńskie
    n with acute accent is U+0144

change {Cracow_Province} Cracow
    to {Cracow_Province} Wielkopolska
    (or just "Polska" if you prefer because it contains Wielkopolska and Małopolska)

change {Cracow} Cracow
    to {Cracow} Kraków
    o with acute accent is U+00F3

change {Peremyshl} Peremyshl
    to {Peremyshl} Przemyśl
    s with acute accent is U+015B

change {Breslau} Breslau
    to {Breslau} Wrocław

and {Halych} Halych
    to {Halych} Halicz

Whew, that was tedious! Does anyone know how to use keystrokes to type that stuff if you know the codes? I know you used to be able to hold alt and then type the number...

So anyway, after seeing all those cool Scandanavian and Turkish characters I thought Poland was feeling a little bland so there you go.

I'm sure this stuff could be debated until the cows come home, but these 4 provinces are in modern-day Poland so I figured giving them Polish spellings would be cool. Save compatible.

Here is approximately how to pronounce this stuff in english letters:

w = v
    rz = sh
    n with acute accent = ng
    l with stroke = w
    s with acute accent = sh
    o with acute accent = oo
    o = o like in "home"
    cz = ch
    i = ee but short
    c = ts
    a = ah

In case any one cares.

_g
    Last edited by Lord Cave; January 10, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Installation: WinXP Pro SP3, M2TW Kingdoms 1.5, DLV 5.80 beta 2. Playing as Poland.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Polish place names

You will have to delete the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt strings BIN file in DLV_ext\data\text to get the changes to show up in a campaign
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

So thou must...thanks Harry.

Btw I didn't do a TON of research on this so if anyone notices any glaring mistakes please feel free to point them out.

Also, would it be possible to alter the mod so that depending on which faction you played as, certain texts were different? For example Russia is Rosja in Polish.

Also, would it be possible to alter things so that when different factions took over settlements the name would change? This happens a lot and is part of the assimilation process and a point of pride for the conquerors.
    Installation: WinXP Pro SP3, M2TW Kingdoms 1.5, DLV 5.80 beta 2. Playing as Poland.

Tiro

@Lord Cave

WTF is Słask - It is: Śląsk

I'm Polish so if you want I will be glad to help with those names.

Yeah man if you see anything else that would help, other texts too, cough 'em up.

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

I think that you must change the ancillaries' files too, because the city titles won't be showing the exact names you are pointing to.
    For example, if you don't change "Peremyshl" to " Przemyśl" in the ancillaries file, then the Count/Duke/or-whatever-title of Przemyśl will be still showing Count/Duke of Peremyshl.
    Cheers
    Agis
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Good to see that little project here.

But Kraków is located in Małopolska, not in Wielkopolska. In Europa DLV Gniezno is a capital of Wielkopolska, as it should be.

And I suggest renaming term of "Principality" into "Księstwo".
    "Principality of Galicia" = "Księstwo Halickie", as "Galicia" is latinicized form of "Halicz".

As for "Grody Czerwieńskie" I suppose it did not exist in 1180ad as an administrative unit. There is a problem, becuse Przemyśl was a part of Księstwo Halickie during XIII and XIV century (roughly).

Maybe "Ruś Czerwona" for Przemyśl, and "Ruś Halicka" for Halicz would be better names? I think it would be. Especially that later, during XV-XVIII century, both parts of Ruś were Lands of Województwo Ruskie.
    It is never ending discussion becuse we're talking about lands which population wasn't ethnicly homogeneous, what's more it had few owners during the period. Later sitiuation clarified in administrative sense, Halicz was a capital of Ziemia Halicka and Przemyśl of Ziemia Przemyska.

But who cares? Who plays Poland, anyway?

BTW, there was no Królestwo Polskie (Kingdom of Poland) in 1180ad. After death of king Bolesław Krzywousty the land was divided between his sons, and later between their sons, and so on. There were smaller feudal states - principalities, duchies etc from 1138 to 1320. In 1320 Bolesław Łokietek started a process of unification. It could be counted in plus i terms of gameplay, as it could be challenging task for Player, to unify his rebellious lands, for example. Similar problem exists in "Sicily path" - there are also few cities, which population is discontent, so the Player has to concetrate on establishing order. But that's another story