Thread: Dave- consider adding health to gates for 3.8?

THARN's Avatar Senator

Default Dave- consider adding health to gates for 3.8?

Hello, I might be the only person who thinks gates are too frail-especially when you get up to reinforced and they fall seemingly as quick as smaller ones.. I believe Dave changed? these because he upped the missile fire rate or something.. not sure...
    But Dave, would you consider adding 50 points to each perhaps maybe except the small wooden for the next version with xbai...it might not even make a difference.

I reset everything so i could play a hotseat game and was surprised at where i had my health numbers.. seems i thought every time a new version came out it would change the descr-walls file back so i kept adding to what was there.
    my largest iron gates had a health of 900! lol but its funny the gates in my campaigns still crumbled pretty easily..

thanks for the great mod- C.A. should float you some change because if it wasnt for this mod I would'nt have purchased the expansion.

Default Re: Dave- consider adding health to gates for 3.8?

Hi Tharn,

The strength of the gates is already set higher than they were in the original game. However I do hear what you are saying, and am going to conduct some tests on the reinforced gates. I'll probably make some adjustments but wont over do it though, thanks.

Dave

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Ahhhem..isn't the towers firing rate well above the "vanilla" standard. Here is something to think about... My vote would be 1.25x to 1.5x and you could increase the HP of the ram or lower the flamability. In Castle sieges with level 2 and above, my ram has only made it 1x out of 10, to the gates.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 12, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

THARN's Avatar Senator

yes -I suppose for when your faction advances to that point-
    I know the archer(men) fire more- I forgot about the towers.. yet- fire arrows are taken out of this mod- I would prefer slower firing towers and stronger gates-
    for those times when smaller settlements are attacked-not beefed up castles, where you don't have those towers- Ive found that most major assaults the ai will bring up to 5 rams- Ive only observed 2 rams in a row being destroyed in any siege.

Come to think of it- the last 3 campaigns Ive played I don't recall seeing flaming ballista from towers/ maybe I didn't upgrade or something..it was usually the boiling oil that destroyed the rams.

Ahhhem..isn't the towers firing rate well above the "vanilla" standard. Here is something to think about... My vote would be 1.25x to 1.5x and you could increase the HP of the ram or lower the flamability. In Castle sieges with level 2 and above, my ram has only made it 1x out of 10, to the gates. :wink:
    Well if you think that the towers firing rate might be harming the AI more than the human I will take your advise. As far as siege battles go in general I am prepared to let xeryx adjust any settings in the descr_walls text. Now that XBAI defends the gates better in the latest beta I definately want to use it in patch 3.8

Dave

Actually, I love the fire rate. It really makes the assault feel so much more intense. I think a possible increase in the gates would be good, just to delay the entry a bit more. Maybe, just increasing the HP on the rams. I sure don't mind them getting destroyed, because it makes you switch tactics. I just think it should be a bit less frequent, or there is no point in building them. Maybe lowering the flammability would be the answer, but I would have to look closer if it is them catching on fire or the HP's.

So, Dave are you playing with the Beta 4 BAI? Has the retreat to the square issue been resolved. BTW thanks, looking forward to 3.8.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 18, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Sorry

I posted in the wrong place

I will be posting in the suggestion thread
    Last edited by Andrea69; January 15, 2009 at 08:09 AM.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Regarding gates and walls falling too quickly.

While the AI artillery bombards walls and gates. It's other troops always stay safely out of missile range. So what good is acheived by making it longer before walls and gates collapse?

I like to see the battle as portraying the final moments of the siege only, and imagine a bombardment has been going on for days, and I am only participating in the final dramatic moments before the walls finally collapse and the assault goes in.

I won't be much fun just sitting and watching catapults try and knock a hole in the walls for 30 mins will it?

THARN's Avatar Senator

I wasn't talking about walls.(if the attacking force has trebs or catapults-then heck ya- walls shall crumble- i think the strength of walls are fine)
    I am only talking about gates and how easy they crash inwards from a ram.
    especially reinforced and larger... I don't think anyone in medieval times would spend so much time building fortifications if the entrance was so easily crashed through

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinenta Buttox View Post
    Regarding gates and walls falling too quickly.

While the AI artillery bombards walls and gates. It's other troops always stay safely out of missile range. So what good is acheived by making it longer before walls and gates collapse?

I like to see the battle as portraying the final moments of the siege only, and imagine a bombardment has been going on for days, and I am only participating in the final dramatic moments before the walls finally collapse and the assault goes in.

I won't be much fun just sitting and watching catapults try and knock a hole in the walls for 30 mins will it?

I liked your analogy, and it is a good one. No, we do not want to be there too long, either. I think that it is being suggested that the relative strength of gates is too low in comparison to the walls.

But here it's really easy enough to do yourself in the game, and we could debate it forever..it's all about personal taste!

THARN's Avatar Senator

But here it's really easy enough to do yourself in the game, and we could debate it forever..it's all about personal taste!
    very true-- Im just used to seeing most of the hardcore players talking about making the game more challenging ala- the vh/vh setting, the diplomacy and garrison scripts just to name a couple things that KGCM brings...
    consider this:
    if the gates fall too quickly the enemy charges in, gets bottled up.. soon the general bullies his way in and usually gets skewered on someones spear. Morale takes a hit and the enemy are routed.
    I have won battles I should have lost only because I didnt have to defend my walls because of this. if the gates hold a bit longer the enemies ladders and such will get to be used causing you to use precious units to protect archers on the walls..

just a thought.

Fingon NL's Avatar Centenarius

Very true,m I one had a battle at a castle, I had like 300 men left, the enemy over 700 men, and the moment their general got killed it was an insta rout, I couldn't believe it, one moment almost all my units were abuut to rout, next second Im standing there at the gate entrance with mass dead bodies and anybodys running all around the castle
    Unfortunately I had no cavalry left, so I didn't make that many prisoners

''Beneath the gold, bitter steel"