Thread: I'm going to London!

Icon7 I'm going to London!

Yay! That's sweet, I can't wait! We're going next month, for 4 days. So yeah it's a city trip ^^
    Father, mother, sister and me. Small cheap cosy hotel, and 4 days to visit as much awesomeness as possible
    British is my favourite accent, being Belgian, so I'll love speaking to British! Can't wait to see their faces if they hear my rubbish English : )
    Anyhow, on topic : what to visit? I'm 16. I've been to London once before, but I was small. I remember very few. We went to this place which had "the whispering walls" if I'm not mistaken. Except for that, all I remember is King's Cross (because it was in Harry Potter^^)

Whatever you suggest we visit, the British Museum is SO one of them ^^ Can't wait man Ö.
    I'm also allowed to choose 1 musical to go and see. But there are like 50 of them ö I was thinking of Queen. Any suggestions?
    Hmm. That's about it i guess. I hope you can suggest nice things to visit ^^

Thank you!
    Last edited by Belgian General; January 10, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: I'm going to London!

I've been London two years ago, when I was 14. I tried to see everything worth visiting in 4 days (the weekend of the 1st of may), but my attempt was useless: there's to much to see in London !!
    If you're going to London, you should visit the British museum, like you said, the most wonderfull place in the world, but you need two whole days to see every masterpiece of its collection. Maybe you should visit the Houses of Parlaiment, the centre of English/British Politics ! Great building.
    Another museum is the Imperial War Museum, dedicated to WW I and II, with a beautifull collection.
    Another must is Harrods: the greatest shop ever, where they sell everything from "tease-your-collegue -boxes" to dogs !
    Maybe St. Paul's Cathedral, the famous masterpiece of Christopher Wrenn, the Church with the Wispering Gallery.
    The Tower of London is also worth visiting, but very touristic.
    And if your in London, don't forget to take a walk past Trafalgar Square, Oxford Street and Picadilly Circus.

I discovered London with the Tube. I think London's metro is the best one in the world. It has a station near every important place in the centre. (And a very amusing "Mind the gap!").

Anyway, you should find out yourself what you really want to visit 'cause there's to much to see...

O, yeah, mind your wallet and other stuff, my London pics were stolen on the Tube

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

If your into Military history- the Imperial War Museum is a definite must.

Tower of London is supposed to be good, but the queues are supposed to be very long and its pretty expensive- if you have only 4 days it may not be worth it.

St.Pauls is good, but they charge you £9 to get inside- its probably not worth going in, but its good to look at.

Try taking a stroll down the River Thames near the London eye, it is quite a nice walk (Although it can be crowded) and there are usually lots of Street Performers etc that are fun to watch

Whatever you do, don't take the bus (Although I suppose it is a good way to see London, it takes ages to get anywhere). The London underground isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Thanks, the British museum is definately in and the Thames and Trafalqar square should be something to see aswell ^^ I'd like to see the Imperial War museum but I have to take my sister and mother's opinion into account aswell and I don't think they'd like it ^^

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Well, if your mother and sister like jewelry then a look at the 'crown jewels' in the White Tower at the Tower Of London may mean you can barter to see other museums.

Your movements around London may be affected by the weather. In February any sort of weather is possible - apart from warm. You may be lucky enough to get a clear, bright but cold day.

I went to the Imperial War Museum back in the early 1990s (I used to work in London then) I think it was OK but I was not impressed with 'The Blitz Experience' - they put us in a small room and fed in some non toxic smoke and played rumbling sounds....

I am fairly sure that you can get an all-day travel card (it's been a long time since I've been in London as a tourist) and use that to move around. It's better to use the 'tube' than use buses as the roads can be congested at times.

There are other sites that may be of interest just outside of London - Kew Gardens if you're into Botany. Hampton Court if you want to lose your family in the maze.

I think the main thing is to try an see a variety of sites - don't just cram in a lot of museums.

By the way - you will be speaking English and not British!

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

The Tower of London is good but can be quite pricy, although it might be cheaper at this time of year. The weather can also been wet, snowy, sunny and nearly always freezing.

Imperial war museum, British museum, Natural history museum are all good but it depends what your interests are. I hightly recomment going to Parliament Square because the Palace of Westminster (parliament etc) is so iconic of London. Walks down the Thames are always interesting. Hampton Court Palace is also good.

Get an all day travel pass and you can go on the underground and busses without paying each time. Although I recommend the tube (underground) because the stations are usually near the main tourist areas and it is quick.

Personally when im in a city like London I just enjoy walking around and looking at the buildings and enjoying the atmosphere.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Not to sound sterotypical , but London really does have some of the greatest Fish and Chips EVER. Though I went to a small little pub , which probably made it better , but nevertheless , awesome!.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Garrigan's Avatar Domesticus

Last time I was in London I just walked. Went from the British Musuem down Oxford Street, Pall Mall, Trafalgar Square, its just more fun walking. You "get to know" a place better.

EDIT:

Not to sound sterotypical , but London really does have some of the greatest Fish and Chips EVER. Though I went to a small little pub , which probably made it better , but nevertheless , awesome!.
    Best fish and chips are from Seahouses in Northumbria.

Once known as Kasey| Hoplite for The Greek Wars Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian General View Post

I'm also allowed to choose 1 musical to go and see. But there are like 50 of them ö I was thinking of Queen. Any suggestions?
    Musicals are for gaylords. Everybody in London thinks so.

Just a heads up.

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Westminster Abbey is better than St. Paul's imo.
    Obviously the BM is a great museum, but there are other good ones depending on what you like. For example the V&A has loads of jewelry, armour, art, clothes, furniture etc. from all sorts of times and places, the science museum is pretty fun in parts, the natural history museum is good if you like that sort of thing. The BM's current exhibition is on Babylon and its impact on and depiction in subsequent cultures. If you want to see it book now.
    There are several really good art galleries including the Tate, the Tate Modern, The National Portrait Gallery and, my favourite, the National Gallery.
    Classic tourist things to do are go on the London Eye, vist Madame Tussauds (waxwork gallery), visit the tower of London, go to the London Dungeon, visit Buckingham palace, look round Harrods or see one of the god awful musicals. None of which are my thing, but you or one of your family might want to.
    Some things which are cultural institutions of sorts are having tea at the ritz (if you don't mind the price), Going to Hyde Park corner on Saturday or Sunday morning to see the public speakers, having a curry in Brick Lane, going to the various markets in places like Camden, Peticoat Lane or Covent Garden.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Last time I was in London I just walked. Went from the British Musuem down Oxford Street, Pall Mall, Trafalgar Square, its just more fun walking. You "get to know" a place better.

EDIT:

Best fish and chips are from Seahouses in Northumbria.
    Wrong, the best fish and chips are up here in Scotland.

London is amazing. Being my birthplace, i know it pretty well, but there is still so much i haven't seen, even though i have been there about 20 times. The British museum, Natural History museum, Imperial War museum, and Buckingham palace are all very well, but i would also reccommend the national armouries, the RAF museum, maybe some of the amazing architecture like Sudbury Town tube station and the Gherkin, and brick lane. The millenium dome (sorry, O2 Arena) has some good exhibitions on sometimes, the London eye is a must. A thames cruise is always fun, and the cuisine is pretty good as well. The nightlife is supposedly brilliant, though i suppose 16 is a bit young for that.

Strangely enough, i was in Heathrow Terminal 5, one of the biggest airports in the world in on of the world's leading cities, and the luxury foods shop was full of expensive salmons, cheeses and kippers, all of which i can get for half the price up here in my village. Rip off, if you ask me, though i suppose you can't really take a detour to Scotland while your there. The crime is one thing, but the prices are little better than the pickpockets - daylight robbery.

Anyway, have fun, be careful and try not to look foreign.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; January 25, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Garrigan's Avatar Domesticus

Na. He's belgian, he'll be ok. Seriously, even skinheads have nothing against belgian.

Once known as Kasey| Hoplite for The Greek Wars Mod

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

You should definitively try to see a West End production while you're there: It's a good family get-together.

And I don't know what are you talking about when you mention skinheads. London is so full of people of all corners of the planet that it's simply impossible not to fit in.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Indefinitely Banned

Harrods is , especially given how it used to be. If you want to shop, then it's King's Road or Oxford Street.
    I would also reccomend the monument. It's a tower that offers views across Westminster.

If I remember correctly, isn't it so that London has like a very famous and extremely long shopping street. If this is correct, what is it's name?

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Oxford Street?
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Ah, Oxford Street ! Beautifull if the weater is alike. Another must see in London. What about the London's parks and gardens ? Take walk through Hyde park !

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian General View Post
    If I remember correctly, isn't it so that London has like a very famous and extremely long shopping street. If this is correct, what is it's name?
    Probably Oxford street:

A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."