Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 The Sith Lords

Default Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 The Sith Lords

Most people at least know of the genius that was Kotor 1. The dramatic story of Revan and his followers. I wont spoil the rest ! Anyway it's a great game, so when this came out I was expecting somthing BIG. What I got....was a bit different, not in a bad way....but different.

Eat this Sith scum!

The Story:
    Easily the best story I have ever seen in a video game. In my opinion Kotor 2 beats the Kotor 1 story, not by alot, but by a small amount. The story is about a Jedi who was exiled from the Jedi Order after following Revan and Malak and an asortment of other Jedi (all of whom turned into Sith later). What is interesting about this is that said Jedi Exile was the ONLY Jedi who came back to face trial. The Exile treks across the Galaxy as a traveler. Soon however he finds himself trapped on a mining station called Peragus with Sith on his tail. The rest of the story is up to you. Two crazy Sith Lords are on your tail with armies of specially trained SIth assasins and the Jedi have disappeared. Your overall mission is to find them. Why? That is up to you. Revenge or Confusion as to why you were exiled are only two of the many reasons.

Much of the story is told through your party members, my favorite of whom is Kreia. During your time on your ship you will talk and find out about your party members. This is the time your game comes to life. Each party member has a personality. To open up new conversations with him/her you must gain influence by saying things that he/she likes. Sometimes if you are evil or good and your party member is the opposite of you, you have to manipulate or persuade your party member to see things your way. But be careful! If your party member loses to much influence with you they may stop talking to you all together.

Overall the story is great!

10/10

Damn Jedi! Always interfereing with the plans of the Sith!

Gameplay:
    Almost exactly like Kotor 1, though this is not a bad thing I would expect that the developers would put some effort into trying to expan upon the gameplay with a new combat system. However, there are new force moves and new traits. Like Kotor 1 there are many side quests which act as buffers for the main story or simply to get a few extra credits. My main complaint is the loading times. Many quests and jobs have you go to another section of the planet you are on at the time and the loading times are atrocious! Unlike Kotor 1 the gameplay is more fluid. Less lags during combat and especially lightsabre battles.

Overall, good but not innovative:

7.5/10

Choose your path! Be a ruthless Sith lord or a peaceful Jedi!

Graphics:
    The graphics are good for it's time. However they are nothing amazing. What really makes you enjoy the graphics is the atmosphere. The game feels...almost desolate. The galaxy has just come out of a war and the Galactic Republic is on the brink of desturction. Knowing this and the dark and un-colorful graphics make the world seem a bit depressing...which may be a good thing!

Overall, dark mediocre graphics

8/10

Come to the dark side young Jedi!

Sound:
    Amazing! Much better then the Kotor 1 music and sound score. Once again the darkness of the game is shown in the music. Dark amibiences play with the occasional light star wars song. Absouloutly amazing and enjoyable music!

Overall, amazing music!

10/10

Good:

Amazing Story

Choose your own alignment

Party members

Hk-47 (meatbag)

Dark depressing feel

Choose your own path!

Bad:

Normal graphics

Rushed release date (resulting in HUGE amounts of content to be scrapped)

Same old combat system

Good ending but a bit unexplanitory

Loading times! Ugh!

Final Comments:

Great game. As good as the first for sure. However, because of Lucasarts rushed release date huge amounts of content was scrapped. However if you get the computer version there are mods that can fix this. This game is one of the greats...get it!

Final Score:

35.5/40
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Default Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 The Sith Lords

i would have to disagree with you on a lot of things, mainly the story
    gameplay was alright. i liked the new things and an experienced kotor 1 player could get right into the action without too much trouble. also the new attack animations were SWEET
    story...ugh. not to insult your reviewing style, but for this case i would split plotline and implementation into two different chunks. the plot itself was innovative and curious, and you could see your choices across the galaxy (i would give plot a 8/10 [there are definitely some things that needed more explaining that was inexcusable for an RPG]). the implementation, however, was absolutely horrific. 3/10 at best. several times i lost the willpower to keep going on the last planet because I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON. i needed to know WHY I WAS THERE and WHAT I NEEDED TO DO. 75% or below is all this game deserves
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

I seem to be the only one who thoguht kotor2 was a disappointment. kotor 1 was miles ahead. I thought I was part of a star wars movie. Kotor2 seems too ambitious (seems to be the feature of Obsidian games), with its implementation of the influence system that is terribly buggy and disjointed.
    "Nothing like a nice relaxing stroll on the beach, blasting bad guys with my boomstick."
    - Gunnery Chief Ashley Madeline Williams.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

I could have forgiven KotOR 2 had the ending not been so catastrophically bad. Seriously it was far more horribly than anything I had ever experienced and a major disappointment.

The first one was absolutely genious (one of the best ever made) and the follow up had some good things, like how you could train your fellowers into jedis/sith, but the ending/final planet just screwed it all up.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Too be fair the game was rushed and lucasarts wanted out before christmas so alot of the content was left out, and lucasarts wouldnt allow obsidian to release a patch to readd the left out material. When you put in the deleted content the story makes much more sense.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_c...The_Sith_Lords

and btw

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_S...ration_Project

If you rep me leave your name and I'll rep you back!

One of the great 'could haves'
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Quote Originally Posted by PGeo36 View Post
    that project has been going on for at least 3 years, which to mean seems like too long to fix a broken game. i've lost all hope with Team Gizka (as well as actually losing my KotOR II CDs) because of the massive amount of time it took. you can only play a single player RPG so many times before it gets boring. M2TW, on the other hand, you can play forever and easily wait 2 years for a mod

to quote the wiki
    On July 12, 2006, Owen "Dashus" Christensen, one of the team leaders, gave an interview, in which he said that the project was about 80% complete.
    i'll believe it when i see an update at their site
    Last edited by Theseus1234; January 10, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Well I agree with you in that team Gizka is a very fickle team. However this review was my opinion. I enjoyed the game very much and if you don't well.....you don't. I did hate the ending though.

EDIT: Also I always knew why I was doing somthing up the very end. It was very explanitory. However I alwasy wonder wtf happened to my companions...
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I got to disagree on the story as well.

The third sith lord was not a sith at all, more a grey jedi.

the ending was very unsatisfying, no great movie like in KOTOR1 which really shows what you accomplished.

the party members where alright but I prefered the ones from KOTOR1 mostly.

Narkaz's Avatar Civis

IMO the story was rubbish I've put all my hope on this http://www.team-gizka.org/index.html
    Screw you guys i'm going home!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    the party members where alright but I prefered the ones from KOTOR1 mostly.
    Um HK-47?

KOTOR2 kicked KOTOR1's ass, possibly because I played the sequel first.

He is the same yes. I meant the other party members.

Half of those in KOTOR2 cant even change outfits.

Canderous looked better and was far more interesting in KOTOR1. I didnt like how he developed in KOTOR2.

Mission and Juhani offered some nice alien companions with interesting personalities, and none of the romanceable women in KOTOR2 can even be compared to Bastilla.

Jolee Bindo was also a very interesting character, very entertaining.

And what do we have in KOTOR2?

Atton seemed a bit like a cheap copy of Han Solo. Nice to see a character inspired by him with a twist along the way, but poorly executed. He kind of felt like a cheap stand in for Solo.

Kreia had potential, but it just wasnt completely realized. I would expect more from the person that trained Revan.

Bao-Dur could have been better too, I personly didnt like how he couldnt wear quite some armors. I rather had him without a mechanical arm instead. It should also have been possible to use his hatred to turn him to the dark side as part of his conversation, affecting his behaviour so he wont complain when you do something evil.

I never cared at all for Visas. she just isnt interesting to me. She is a rather pathedic figure for a sith.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I pretty much wont judge KOTOR2 until Team Gizka's project restores it to fruition (mostly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

I judge Obsidian for not doing that themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I judge Obsidian for not doing that themselves.
    LucasArts forced them to relase it early, don't blame Obsidian
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Life is Rubbish View Post
    LucasArts forced them to relase it early, don't blame Obsidian

and obsidian wanted to patch it later but LA wouldn't let them.

so? Atari had pulled the support from Neverwinter Nights before patch 1.69 was released but that didnt stop some dedicated Bioware employees to work on that patch by themselves to help the community.

And thats about 5 years after that game was released.

It's not that they pulled support from the patch but they banned them from doing it for whatever reason they thought was logical.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Which is why I dont judge the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Game play wise, II got way too easy at the end. I remember blasting my way through entire rooms just by hitting "force wave" over and over again. It didn't do much damage, but it knocked them down for a while, and I had so much mania that I could just keep hitting it over and over again.

The story wasn't terrible, but it felt very unfinished and that kind of annoyed me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast