Thread: Video card for RTW

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a new video card and I was wondering if the ATI All-In-Wonder 9600XT 128MB AGP Video Card is a good card for RTW.

I have a P4 3GHZ 512mb Ram and a geForce4 MX 440 128mb with AGP8X.

According to the salesman where I'm planning to buy the card, this ATI card should be good enough for RTW.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Lucius

There are obviously better cards, but the 9600XT is just fine for R:TW, since R:TW is faily CPU reliant, the 9600XT should be able to run it decently on the highst settings up to 3K-4K soldiers.

i belive the salesman is right, should run it well, guessing, up to 8000 troops a battle

I own a ati 9800xt it works fine and i recommed it for anyone right now they are 350-500 range depending on the seller and it its bundled if you wait a few weeks the prices are going to come down when the new cards are released. I have a p4 2.7hd and 2 gigs of ram my 128 card would slow at around 10,000+ my new card can handle 20,000+ with all settengs to the max.

I don't know if you like ordering online, but Newegg usually has great prices and service. I just looked really fast and found this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-150-078&DEPA=1

A Geforce 6600 GT would probably give you about twice the performance than the Radeon 9800XT would. Not to mention the drivers are usually considered better for Nvidia Cards. If that card seems too pricy then I'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-145-113&depa=1

You'll still get improved performance although you might suffer a bit on some of the newest games - for Rome Total War you would be fine though.

Thanks guys

wrong, 6600GT only 10-30% faster than 9800XT...

6600GT is not much faster, if at all, than a 9800XT. The 6600GT is barely (10-30%) faster than a 9800Pro

a 9600XT will run RTW fine, my neighbor has a 9600XT and is an avid Rome player and plays with no complaints at huge unit sizes

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

That card is good enough for about everything you need right now. But considering the price of it i don't know if it is the best choice considering the newer and more powerfull cards out there.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

if you want an AIW card that will continue to perform well for the next few months, the AIW X800XL would be great. It an be found for about 400$, which is about doubling the price of your card, but it's another option. A smaller step up would be the AIW 9800Pro, which is about 250-270$

Civis

Anything above 256 RAM and a mediocre video card (perhaps half what yours is) will suffice. The better your RAM or video card, the better your battles. Once you cross the 256 RAM threshold, everything is poured into battle.

Originally posted by squeaky@Apr 3 2005, 08:48 PM
    if you want an AIW card that will continue to perform well for the next few months, the AIW X800XL would be great. It an be found for about 400$, which is about doubling the price of your card, but it's another option. A smaller step up would be the AIW 9800Pro, which is about 250-270$
    Thanks for the correction on the performance. Though I wouldn't write off a 30 Percent performance increase, especially in the high end. Afterall, a Radeon X850 won't give more than a 30 Percent advantage over an X800, but it costs $300 more.

I wasn't even up on the performance of Radeons though as their driver support for Linux just doesn't cut it. I just assumed the performance difference between the two generations would be similiar to that of Nvidia's - twice as fast.

If the original poster is really looking to use all the capabilities of an AIW then I think the 9800 would be the way to go. It won't shine in newer games but they'll still be playable. Otherwise I would go for a 6600.

Originally posted by Aged One@Apr 2 2005, 01:25 PM
    I own a ati 9800xt it works fine and i recommed it for anyone right now they are 350-500 range depending on the seller and it its bundled if you wait a few weeks the prices are going to come down when the new cards are released. I have a p4 2.7hd and 2 gigs of ram my 128 card would slow at around 10,000+ my new card can handle 20,000+ with all settengs to the max.
    no way, if you are in the 350 - 500 range you should be getting either one of the x800 or x850 from ATI, or the 6800GT or ultra from nvidia they are almost twice as fast as the 9800xt there is absolutely no reason to buy one unless they have them for less then 250

get an X800XL for as low as around 280$, and it runs much better (and cooler) than the 9800XT, which has a significantly slowed production line also.

I would second the recommendation now for the Radeon X800 XL. After reading a number of reviews and talking with my friends it seems that this specific card really is the best card in it's class - unless you want to play OpenGL games.

Is an Ati Radeon Mobility 9800 Pro (256MB) Ithink Ok?

(this is a mac Card I am running a 17" Powerbook G4 1.67GHZ and it runs fine with that (128MB not 256). I also have a PC which i run it on and a powermac Dual 2.5GHz G5 which it runs like ligtening on (I have 8GB DDR-RaM)

the 9800 series was a great series, but now for the higher end it has been outclassed in every way. For a worthy desktop upgrade, the 9800Pro would be the lowest level of upgrade, with the X800XL just a tad higher price-wise but much better performance-wise

Biarchus

Originally posted by squeaky@Apr 16 2005, 09:45 PM
    the 9800 series was a great series, but now for the higher end it has been outclassed in every way. For a worthy desktop upgrade, the 9800Pro would be the lowest level of upgrade, with the X800XL just a tad higher price-wise but much better performance-wise
    Wow, where does that leave me with a AIW 8500? Feel like a dinosaur...

I've got a Radeion 9200 PCI and it runs up to 6500 troops just fine. The 6600 is awesome and what I'm getting on my new compute rwill be overkill.