Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FKOC for Kingdoms - Now available; thanks to Shakesword

Default FKOC for Kingdoms - Now available; thanks to Shakesword

Dear AD! Following your advice in this post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...48#post3802648 I was able to compile the latest 1.5 version of the mod compatible with kingdoms.exe. The version is stable but not always savegame compatible (worth a try). I also have a bug a few times with "unspecified error" in the log while loading the battle map which I was not able to investigate and fix.

To be honest this was made only for aesthetic reasons - my video card has this infamous "DX10 shadow bug" so it does not support shadows for vegetation without kingdoms 1.5 patch. But of course with or without shadows this mod is a masterpiece, a completely new game with endless replayability (despite the fact there is only 2 factions)! Many biggest thanks!

----------------------------------

OK people there are two ways to do it:

FIRST ONE - download and install the already copmiled game. Here the link with simple installation to default "mods" folder:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/afhb90c/n/for_king_or_country_1_5_kingdoms_exe

MIRROR

http://rapidshare.com/files/210766542/for_king_or_country_1_5_kingdoms.exe

To launch the game use a shortcut in the main directory of the mod C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\for_king_or_country (by the way you could move the shortcut in any place you wish - to desktop for example)

----------------------------------

ANOTHER WAY is to do this convertion by yourself.

Here the details on how to compile this mod on one's own:

1) Install the Retrofit mod 1.0 in the "mods" folder (grab it here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=485)

2) Rename "Retrofit" folder to something like "for_king_or_country"

3) Unpack original archive with FKOC and replace the contents of the Retrofit mod folder with new files except 3 of them: descr_mount.txt, descr_projectile.txt, descr_walls.txt (You should edit these files manually.)

4) For the "descr_mount.txt" open both the retrofit version of this file and the FKOC version and copy-paste last part of the FKOC file to retrofit version from the ";;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;FKOC;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;" line and below. Save the new file in our's new mod "data" folder.

5) Similar actions shall be done with "descr_projectile.txt" but now you should take the last part of the Retrofit version from the line "projectile oil" to the FKOC version and after editing replace retrofit version of the file with the new one (also in "data" folder)

6) Editing of the "descr_walls.txt" is somehow more complicated - you should manually compare both versions line by line and copy to the FKOC version all the fragments from the word "gatehouse" to the } symbol on the same tabulation level in the script (sorry for I can't give you more detailed explanation it's just what it is - copy-paste of fragments from one script to another) you shold also understand that this fragments should be included in any building type in the script like "gates" and several types of "wall". After editing you should also replace retrofit version with the new FKOC version of the file.

7) In the "data\text" folder of the mod you should delete all the files with .bin extension

8) when all the steps are done you should copy for_king_or_country.cfg file from the main directory of the M2TW to the "mods/for_king_or_country" folder, also you may wish to delete medieval2.retrofit.cfg

9) edit the new for_king_or_country.cfg and find there a line

Code:
    mod			= for_king_or_country
    that you should replace with

Code:
    mod			= mods/for_king_or_country
    10) edit the contents of "medieval2_retrofit.bat" to exactly this:

Code:
    cd ..\..
    kingdoms.exe @mods\for_king_or_country\for_king_or_country.cfg
    and of course you could rename this file with something like "for_king_or_country.bat" make a shortcut for it to the desktop

11) And the last step is sound-music compiling. The only way I know how to do this is as follows:

11-A) In the "data\sounds" folder you must delete these files: Music.dat Music.idx Audio.dat Audio.idx events.dat events.idx

11-B) insert the following lines into "for_king_or_country.cfg":

Code:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    So the new sound files should be generated automatically after the first launch of the mod.

12) now take a breath and launch it with new for_king_or_country.bat or its shortcut

That is all folks! Let's play this beautiful mod in the shade of ancient english oaks!

PS

Almost forget to mention that in the most cases you could (even) install a small mini-mod like alternative battle AI (take a look on Condottiere SOG work or XBAI) the only thing you should remember when installing one of these BAI is that your edited descr_walls.txt descr_projectile.txt descr_mount.txt should not be replaced with any new files as well as you should not remove original FKOC export_descr_unit.txt file or any other that is not related to BAI. So if you are going to use an alternative BAI unless the BAI does not aim to FKOC specifically I recommend to replace only the follows:

config_ai_battle.xml
    battle_config.xml

PPS

OK. If you did not succeed in editing of script files mentioned here my gift for the Russian 13th Jan "Old New Year" coming. Enjoy!
    Last edited by shakesword; March 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: FKOC for Kingdoms.exe version was compiled successfully!

Nice one =) Thanks for taking the initiative and doing this..I'll sticky this thread.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Default Re: FKOC for Kingdoms - Now available; thanks to Shakesword

You are welcome friend! Testing this right now playing for Parlament nothing wrong spotted yet.

@all Please people you are free to provide your feedback here. I will help with all my best.

Sorry, shakesword, can you release descr_mount.txt, descr_projectile.txt & descr_walls.txt, designed by FKoC? I have tried this method, but have constant error. It is not clear in what of these files. The log speaks nothing any. Many thanks

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Default Installing in kingdoms

Is there any advantage to installing this with kingdoms? The install instructions are too complicated. I've noticed that arqubusers in other mods still get stuck reloading even after being patched by CA.

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

I second that.

Alright guys, you have won me. Topic edited.

Default Re: Installing in kingdoms

I've just edited the instructions and attach the key files but the problem you describe is related to the BAI and all the stuff and do not connected to the Kingdoms installation directly As far as I know the nature of the idle animation was not descovered yet and was not fixed in Kingdoms completely. Many things were improved by modders but there are still many things hardcoded. The problem of M2TW engine is in the close connection of animation with internal calculations where animation seems to be more important than just showing the results of numbers compared.

Anyway as far as I know thre are 2 ways to tweak this things:
    1) by changing some stats in export_descr_unit.txt
    2) by changing the way animations are showing via editing of skeleton script - this method was used in the latest BAI from Condottiere SOG
    Last edited by shakesword; January 11, 2009 at 06:21 PM.

Am I the only person experiencing consant CTDs in campaign battle? I can play custom battles without any trouble, but almost every time when I try to fight a battle in campaign, the game crashes during loading with a "unspecified error" message. Even when the game doesn't CTD on loading, it crashes anyway after a minute or two. Frankly speaking, it's not playable. I've edited the descr_export_unit.txt and descr_formation_ai.txt for a bigger battle, but I don't think it has anything to do with it since I can play custom battles OK.

I almost certain that the pack I uploaded to FILEFRONT is stable. If the problem exist with this version I am really surprised. So show your log please.

One thing you should do anyway is to try to play the game with original files. A good alternatie method to test your system is to check if it is capable to finish a battle with normal settings.
    Last edited by shakesword; January 23, 2009 at 07:05 AM.

Here's the log

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    23:55:20.031 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:55:20.046 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    23:55:20.046 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:55:20.046 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:55:20.046 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:55:20.046 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:55:20.046 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:55:20.046 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:55:22.984 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 117, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_English_Armoured_Horse'.
    23:55:22.984 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 147, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_English_Barded_Horse'.
    23:55:22.984 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 162, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_French_Barded_Horse'.
    23:55:22.984 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 242, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_AdV_French_Heavy_Horse'.
    23:55:23.578 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 14626, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name garrison_quarters not found in building database
    23:55:23.578 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 14635, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name drill_square not found in building database
    23:55:23.578 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 14644, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name barracks not found in building database
    23:55:23.578 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 14653, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name armoury not found in building database
    23:55:23.578 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15715, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name printing_press not found in building database
    23:55:23.578 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/for_king_or_country/data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 15724, column 29
    Plug-in/Building level name printing_house not found in building database
    23:55:56.109 [game.script] [always] New Turn:
    23:55:56.109 [game.script] [always] turncounter = 7
    23:56:34.718 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Most probably the error occurs in the script on the strategic map. But I can't read the log expertly like. Let's wait for the moment I get myself to my home machine.

Sorry friend after more then 2 hours of testing I was unable to reproduce the results you described. But I had experienced a CTD in FKOC from the strategic map several times before this case and all of them occurred during a standard enemy turn survey. To be specific crash happened when an enemy’s army tries to attack one of mine. Taking into account the option to show enemy turn is off by default in FKOC maybe you simply had the same situation without definite understanding of the moment it comes. The logs of my example and yours looks very akin to me. This is all I am able to tell you in the moment.

Although you should also know that I never associate this with Kingdoms as a source because it happened before with vanilla game also.

Now I need your help to make sure the error could not be common. Please, download and install now available builds of FKOC 1.5 and Retrofit 1.0 following the instructions in the topic step by step. Do not edit the script files by yourself instead take mine from the attachment. Then report. Of course my build of FKOC available for download on Filefront also needs testing so volunteers are welcome.

I will check it, during my campaign development i had to find a lot of campaign crashes... most of them are due to some faulty ancilaries, or events...

Quote Originally Posted by shakesword View Post
    Sorry friend after more then 2 hours of testing I was unable to reproduce the results you described. But I had experienced a CTD in FKOC from the strategic map several times before this case and all of them occurred during a standard enemy turn survey. To be specific crash happened when an enemy’s army tries to attack one of mine. Taking into account the option to show enemy turn is off by default in FKOC maybe you simply had the same situation without definite understanding of the moment it comes. The logs of my example and yours looks very akin to me. This is all I am able to tell you in the moment.

Although you should also know that I never associate this with Kingdoms as a source because it happened before with vanilla game also.

Now I need your help to make sure the error could not be common. Please, download and install now available builds of FKOC 1.5 and Retrofit 1.0 following the instructions in the topic step by step. Do not edit the script files by yourself instead take mine from the attachment. Then report. Of course my build of FKOC available for download on Filefront also needs testing so volunteers are welcome.
    In installed it manually, and it's still the same. Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall M2 itself to see if the problem is with my installation of the game.

Marcus Bestia's Avatar Civis

i've also meet a bug in this version for Kingdoms. i attacked enemy on campaign map, loading screen appeared and then i've got vista message about error and that application will be closed. interesting thing is while battle was loading i can hear music from campaign map and at the same time the battle music. i've tried two times with same result.
    i've downloaded version for MTW2 vanilla and will probably play this version of the mod. i played kindoms version for 4 or 5 turns, fought 4 battle + one battle which wasn't realized due to error. i hope mtw2 version is more stable:hmmm:

Sorry friend, not a vista user. You still could give me some log information. And one more thing - using phoenix's mod increases the chance to get CTD

Marcus Bestia's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by shakesword View Post
    Sorry friend, not a vista user. You still could give me some log information. And one more thing - using phoenix's mod increases the chance to get CTD
    hi shake, i have no log present here, i will post it tomorow. But i found some interesting things about my ctd's. There are 2 conditions which must be fulfiled to "succesfully" get CTD:
    1) you must be on the battlefield screen (or loading battle)
    2) there must be present fraction leader or heir on the battlefield. So far i tried it with roayalist leader + heir and parlamentarian leader, i think parlamentarian heir will be the same thing. When i removed leader or heir from army and attacked with army without him, ctd didnt happen. Do you think is there some way how to fix it?
    I dont use phoenix mod

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I encountered a ctd as well at the very end of battle.another glorious victory was carried by the unconquered sword of Prince Rupert when during the final words of the triumphal glory the voice track stammered and the whole operation met its end by ctd.I do not think it is related as there did not seem to be any specifics involving the engine itself but figured it was worth a mention.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast