Thread: Is it possible to mod Empire to older times?

Default Is it possible to mod Empire to older times?

I was thinking about how Empire now is using Motion cap to do most of the animations in the game. If someone wants to make a mod that takes place during Roman times there won't be animation in the game for a guy holding a shield, or throwing a pilon, or hoplites in formation and the like.

I understand people can make animations, but won't they look like crap next to motion capture? I'm sure I don't know all the details or what modders are capable of. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Rex Armeniae's Avatar King of Kings

Default Re: Is it possible to mod Empire to older times?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I was thinking about how Empire now is using Motion cap to do most of the animations in the game. If someone wants to make a mod that takes place during Roman times there won't be animation in the game for a guy holding a shield, or throwing a pilon, or hoplites in formation and the like.

I understand people can make animations, but won't they look like crap next to motion capture? I'm sure I don't know all the details or what modders are capable of. Does anyone have any insight on this?
    I dont see why it wouldnt be "possible". Dont underestimate the power of the modders. There are so good animators and artists, they can and probably will make a mod like that sooner or later. My guess is, later.

It will take ALOT of time to make a mod out of ETW to an extent that it will get soft, beatiful and enjoyable.

Modders are capable of anything
    Some would like to call them Godsend people, or even Gods.
    Հայաստան: Իմ սիրելի Հայաստան:
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
    - Under the patronage of another Rex Armeniae Drtad | Տրտադ

It is my understanding that mods have divine powers. Someone out there will go to great lengths to make a hoplite thrust his spear the perfect way, after which a huge flame war will erupt about whether it should be an overhand or underhand thrust.

You heard it here first.

rgds/EoE

Edit: Oh, someone beat me to it.

The game will include units that still use sword and shield, though not many, so the motion capture is there. Probably not the same types of swings and thrusts you'd see from a Roman Legionary though, and I can't think of any units that still actually used spear and shield like the Greeks.

Augment's Avatar Senator

or the somalians xD

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hlight=somalia <--- cracked me up when i saw that.

That Somali thread is pure gold. I was laughing hard. Noble Spearmen! Swordsman Militia! Polo shirt + stick.
    Last edited by Kennylz; January 08, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

'noble' spearmen

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

Well If a Napoleonic mod was made from a Roman game, I would like to think it's possible to go the other way around. Although with NTW2 there were problems that could not be overcome, no matter how talented the modders are (fire by rank for example).

So yes animations would be the biggest obstacle because it's new and we just don't know what we are dealing with yet. Also keep in mind it was almost a year before the mesh system was cracked for MED2 (thanks Grumpy ). So for a year modders could do little more than change stats and texture colors. I swear CA could be more helpful in this regard, but then again it's not their job to figure out how to reverse engineer their own game using third party software...

Truth is, a Roman era mod team will have a long difficult road ahead of them.

CLICKY

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

well you've seen colonial pikemen in formation, so no doubt they'll be thrusting them pikes so maybe the animation is already there?

bows, spear and sword animation are in game for more backwards factions, but the Roman thrust and withdraw animation will not be in, so that sort of thing would have to be custom made.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

I am sure the talent, desire & determination is there to use this engine for ancient mods.

I think the the deciding factor is going to be the time element.

It certainly won't be quick or easy.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Quote Originally Posted by cudakite View Post
    Well If a Napoleonic mod was made from a Roman game, I would like to think it's possible to go the other way around. Although with NTW2 there were problems that could not be overcome, no matter how talented the modders are (fire by rank for example).

So yes animations would be the biggest obstacle because it's new and we just don't know what we are dealing with yet. Also keep in mind it was almost a year before the mesh system was cracked for MED2 (thanks Grumpy ). So for a year modders could do little more than change stats and texture colors. I swear CA could be more helpful in this regard, but then again it's not their job to figure out how to reverse engineer their own game using third party software...

Truth is, a Roman era mod team will have a long difficult road ahead of them.
    OMG do i hate the sham wow comercials.

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kracker Jack'D View Post
    OMG do i hate the sham wow comercials.
    Aren't they fan-freaking-tastic?!

-

CLICKY

Mooders are the backbone of TW games... imagine TW games witouth mods ?
    they wouldnt sell 2 copies to the same person just because that person needed a back up copy of the game if the one he plaays a lot gets scratched and stuff ;P
    im one of those XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kennylz View Post
    The game will include units that still use sword and shield, though not many, so the motion capture is there. Probably not the same types of swings and thrusts you'd see from a Roman Legionary though, and I can't think of any units that still actually used spear and shield like the Greeks.

Well... Maybe not spears and shields...

But Highland charges...

Those were the good times... How the English almost got a Roman catholic as king during the 18th century.

Yea... Highlanders rushing down a hill with swords and shields

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm hoping they include a free suit with the knobbies on it, so we can to our own motion-tracking animations.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Moving to the modding section.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

In before the move!

It's odd seeing the statement that it's moved before it really is...

Cogito Ergo Vicco

There are some mods in progress over on the Med2 mod forums, but i cant see any advantage of Empire for modding ancient stuff, the maps look the same as Med2, and there are more apt figures to mod on Med2, even though it's difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by cudakite View Post
    Aren't they fan-freaking-tastic?!

-
    Shamwow is roflcopter!

Favorite Goalies