Thread: armour piercing Pikes?

Default armour piercing Pikes?

Shouldn't pikes have 'ap' in 'stat_pri_attr'?
    I was thinking that would help account for the damage that they would do from charging the last few feet, being that they cant charge in game.

Also a 21ft long 15lb pike being thrusted by both arms of the pike-men would in my mind go right through most armour.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: armour piercing Pikes?

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Anyone know why pikes don't have AP? AFAIK, they haven't since at least RTR6G, and I assume there must have been a reason for that somewhere along the line.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Anyone know why pikes don't have AP? AFAIK, they haven't since at least RTR6G, and I assume there must have been a reason for that somewhere along the line.
    I would think it might cause the phalanx to become immensely overpowered... wouldn't they just cut right through the legions with AP?

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by pdanders View Post
    I would think it might cause the phalanx to become immensely overpowered... wouldn't they just cut right through the legions with AP?
    They cause some worry with their ability to march right through a cohort with their pushing power, but they don't actually do much damage. At Pydna, they did actually make some headway against the legionaries directly in front of them, so the same in the game would be historically plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    They cause some worry with their ability to march right through a cohort with their pushing power, but they don't actually do much damage. At Pydna, they did actually make some headway against the legionaries directly in front of them, so the same in the game would be historically plausible.
    Yeah it certainly may have happened.. I'm more talking about game balance... Personally i have no problems with phalangites or hoplites being underpowered right now.. they seem to do just fine...

That's true. I think the game balance is working pretty well right now, at least as far as unit strength goes. (I'm not quite happy with the barb factions yet, but Jamey's doing good work on those.) Maybe we should just leave them be.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    That's true. I think the game balance is working pretty well right now, at least as far as unit strength goes. (I'm not quite happy with the barb factions yet, but Jamey's doing good work on those.) Maybe we should just leave them be.
    Do we have any idea how the Celts got so rich? Watchman mentioned it in a VV thread the other day, and your gripe has just made me wonder if we're shortchanging them in terms of economy. I know that Ireland was rich in gold, so if you include that in the superfaction, and have that trade with the other Celts, then it may pump up the economy a bit more. One thing that I've noticed is the importance of trade fleets - most ports only have a max of 1 fleet, and they're fairly average. The ports with multiple fleets are the moneymakers in my games.

The Celts got rich? I didn't know that. I honestly have no idea where their money would've come from. If anyone knows, I'll work it in.

One of the things I did in 3.3....um...3, maybe, was reducing the number of ports with access to multiple trade fleets. Most of the multi-fleet ports are in civilized areas, but barbs rarely got L2 ports anyway, so I think it helped them on balance.

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

AFAIK the Celts got "rich" through trade between tribes and trade with the Romans and Greeks- specifically it seems they bought in a lot of Roman quality goods (such as wine) and from Greeks mostly arms, and then traded these goods to other tribes at some mark-up.

This is how they operated, but I don't know that they were rich exactly.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

Wien1938's Avatar Miles

Also very good land. Caesar sacked Gaul for millions.

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Wien1938 View Post
    Also very good land. Caesar sacked Gaul for millions.
    Gaul's land in terms of fertility was better than Germany, but not as good as North Africa or Italy. Most of Caesar's earnings IIRC came from captured slaves.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...