Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Destination Italy

Default Destination Italy

Well, after a few weeks of deliberation, and untold months spent saving up for the trip, I have decided to invest in a two week fling (hopefully more, pending money) in Rome!

I am going primarily to see all the historical points and I heard something interesting regarding guides and tour groups.

Despite my google searches and my hesitation to call a travel agent, I come up clueless. I know it is a cheaper way to go to join a tour group/ tour guide and see Rome that way, and that seems to be the best option for me right now. I am looking for an approximately two week tour of Rome and areas surrounding Rome.

Can anyone help me find a tour that would fit this criteria? At this point I am looking to stay relatively cheap, but not the bottom of the barrel. I have roughly $2,500 saved up (due to my lack of knowledge about these tours however, I have no way of knowing if this is enough). I'm sorry if I'm being too vague in my descriptions...

Default Re: Destination Italy

Hi, I went to Rome 2 years ago, it's a nice city. It was a school trip thou, so I have no Idea. Srry maye

I lived 7 years in Rome

2500$ ... 180$/day...let's say 70 euros (3stars, not far from center ... but it was February (out of season), last year for me), so 100$ for sleeping each day, that 80$ for the rest, without taking into account travel, all of that if you are alone, well 80$/day is good (eating, visiting, etc...). Italian food is good and cheap .

hmmmm It's possible, wont be champagne everyday ! but no needs !

But, personally, i hate visiting in a group: come on group, come here, bla bla bla... "damn i wanna have a coffee and smoke a cig" ... bla bla bla ... come on turn back in the bus, let's go to the colliseum "noooo i wanted to go the Vatican today"

I don't know what's price for travel, if you come from US, Australia or France, honestly i think it will be hard. And about prices of tour i have no idea, suppose it's different from company to company. And depend also if you know nothing about Rome, sure you ll need a guide for explaination. If you don't need it, i wont take it.

Sorry for those poor explaination, but i can't say a lot more with those little information (from where you come, when, how many you are, * of hotels, friends there or not...)

Anyway, have fun; Rome is wonderfull !!!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I can see where it could get annoying in a big group, but if it could save me a couple hundred bucks, I would be willing to do it.

I have only heard great things about Italian food as well. I can't wait.

People are very nice there, I went to a pizzaria and the owner wanted me to eat first and relax, then pay I wish I had more time in Italy but I was in a big group, not enough time to see everything

The overall responses seem to counsel against going with a big group type thing...

Well Rome is very intresting. In the forum there is the spot where Julius Caesar was cremated, and I was surprised, people lay flowers there

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post

Can anyone help me find a tour that would fit this criteria? At this point I am looking to stay relatively cheap, but not the bottom of the barrel. I have roughly $2,500 saved up (due to my lack of knowledge about these tours however, I have no way of knowing if this is enough). I'm sorry if I'm being too vague in my descriptions...
    hostels or 1/2/3 star-hotels?

http://www.italian.hostelworld.com/f...li/Roma/Italia

once into the website, click on english language flag... for all the hostels, u can choose the values, see the prices etc etc.. and u also can read the reviews of the stay, made by people who stayed there (tourists or simple visitors of rome or one night stands)

u can find in there, not only hostels, but even apartments, hotels etc

I have only heard great things about Italian food as well. I can't wait.
    u will fall in love, after ate italian food.. because you can eat spaghetti in america, but the same spaghetti in italia tastes different.. as tomatoes coming from Sicily or Campania or Puglia or pesto from Liguria or pecorino cheese from Sardinia.. every dish u eat here, has something really particular and special..

in rome i hint u: amatriciana spaghetti or cacio and pepe spaghetti (cheese and pepper)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster Nicholas View Post
    People are very nice there, I went to a pizzaria and the owner wanted me to eat first and relax, then pay I wish I had more time in Italy but I was in a big group, not enough time to see everything
    ya.. here in italy first u seat down and relax yourself.. then u eat and at the end u pay the bill.. pizzeria's are amazing.. but i prefer "trattoria's"

pontifex: i hint u to eat in pizzeria's few times in there... focus on cheap restaurants or "trattoria's" with "real" italian food as spaghetti, lasagna etc

Well Rome is very intresting. In the forum there is the spot where Julius Caesar was cremated, and I was surprised, people lay flowers there
    it is like that.. we put flowers even today, where divus Gaius has been cremated.. we feel roman even today.. for us, rome never died
    Last edited by DAVIDE; January 07, 2009 at 04:59 PM.

Primicerius

Go see a football game.

Ac roma games are boring.. go to milan and see ac milan play

Primicerius

AC Roma

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

:hmmm:
    That's normal...
    Even in France.
    Miss me yet?

I will not be wasting my time watching soccer in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    :hmmm:
    That's normal...
    Even in France.
    yeah i know, but i should have stated it was the way he said it

good..

forget soccer wherever u are.. visit these:

Museo Nazionale Romano (National Museum of Rome )
    Town: Rome

Museo navi romane (museum of roman ships)
    Town: Nemi (outside Rome)
    Price: 2 euro, 1 if u have kids with you

Excursion on Villa Adriana
    Town: Tivoli (outside rome)
    http://images.google.it/images?hl=it...num=5&ct=title

etc

I was in Pescara town, its awesome, hot country, remembered me very much of Turkey.
    Also there was a awesome (!) sand beach. Huge waves!

I went with school, and it was a blast. I think what was so awesome was being there with my friends though. I'd really advocate visiting Florence as well as Rome. It is such a beautiful city and you can see many awesome things there.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Why not?
    You can go to the Ultas section and fight a little..

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Ponti, nice destination.

I honestly recommend you to visit Southern Italy. Most tourists spend their time up north in the cities. They definitely worth visiting, but imho South is much more exciting, romantic, beautiful (and kewl ). There you will find a bit of untouched Italy. Rich in ancient material and full of ancient serenity, if you please.

Roma is a must of course, but Siciliy is a must too, at least on my list. If you can't afford going there, I recommend Apulia, Basilacata and Campania , you'll find plenty of spots to see there too. Beautiful hillside villages, nice coastal settlements, ancient ruins, good wine and friendly folks. Excellent dishes. I've been there twice, and willing to go back at any time.

I also recommend visiting Pompeii, it's just an amazing experience if you like Roman history and have a bit of imagination.

Don't visit soccer matches, they are just the same as anywhere else with a little bit bigger hype (sorry soccer fans ). Of course you could say then that "I've been to a Lazio-AC Roma match", but that's all. Instead, try to see an opera, or a lighter musical concert, f.e. a belcanto concert in Naples. I'll tell you, Naples is still the heart of Italian music, not Milan.

Here's a good tourist guide to Southern Italy.

Perhaps be a little more specific, what would you like to see, museums, castles, ancient ruins, strip clubs, wineyards, beaches, etc. and I'll try to help more.

edit: about Rome. Definitely visit Rome, but be very determined about your destinations and try to book tickets in advance so you don't have to queue for hours. Save money and time.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; January 12, 2009 at 05:28 AM.

I'm headed to Rome in March for about a five day little excursion.

If you're looking for cheap but nice places to stay, like something nicer than a hostel then I recommend looking up apartments. In Europe they do short term apartments with ease, and they are generally full furnished and very nice and usually cheaper then a hotel. But if youre staying at a hostel nevermind.

I advise against a big group. Grab a map, do some research and mosey on yourself. Nothing looks worse than a big group of tourists walking around snapping pics. It's common to see here in Prague, and of course the more you look like a tourist the more chances you'll be pick pocketed. At least here. You should be able to have a blast on your own. Plus who wants a group dictating where you go and how much time you spend at each place?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast