Thread: Western/Central Asia?

Default Western/Central Asia?

Hello, we are planning a "little" holiday on an Asian country.

There are a lot of different destination, and I'd like to have your opinion, if you went in some of these, where would you go, if you have only one chance

Best candidates are :
    Syria
    Iran
    I was going for Yemen ! seems so wonderfull
    Rajasthan
    Jordania

thx

Default Re: Western/Central Asia?

what ? no one here s living in middle east ?
    no one here went there ?

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

I will give you some advice, don't go to Israel

lol, that's sure

If i remember well, you can't go in Israel if you have on your passport the "signature" of syria for example

choosing Syria or Israel ... no doubt, Syria, even if Jerusalem is a must

And anyway i don't like Israel

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

I'm travelling around Syria in the Summer (along with Turkey and Cyprus), my friend whos been all over the world claims it's his favourite country, with amazing people and culture.

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

Syria and Jordan are your best bets in that list, Yemen has some shady parts, and Dubai is a must visit as well.. Also visiting Lebanon is a MUST if you're into history . Avoid Israel if you want to travel to several other countries in the middle east since having an Israeli stamp will prevent you from being allowed to enter a few countries.

Can't say much for the other countries, but Jordan is a very nice and safe country, many arabs from around the middle east go there on holiday. In Lebanon, stay in Beirut (avoid southern Beirut), then the east and north are good areas to go to since you'll find many natural wonders, Roman ruins and other historically significant places, not to mention the best food in the world (a little biased there though ).

Thanks for your opinions guys, yeah i heard so many good things about Lebanon, and Syria.

In fact we are into history, but also (and most of all, for me), for culture

I was "excluding" Jordan because i think, that culturally, it's not "as big as" Syria, Lebannon and Iran.

My mother went a lot of time in Dubai, and says it's seomthing like a holiday in DisneyWorld, or like going to Las Vegas. This is something which i don't consider being very intersting... maybe she s wrong

And for Lebannon, if i go there, it's alone .... no one wanna come with me !

The final destination seems to go for Iran, as my family lived there (and in Irak) for 10 years, till the revolution began, so i think it will be the best way to have the easyest access to this part of the world, without being totally lost, and as it is anyway a great country

Well ... the best would have be Irak (assyrians, sumerians, ....) ... but everyone knows why it' s not in destination list...

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

well it's perhaps good to bear in mind that you can still travel to egypt and jordan if you have the Israeli stamp on your passport. I think this rules out all of the other arab nations with the exception of maybe yemen or oman, and Iran however.

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

If you want to go to Israel and another, unfriendly, Middle Eastern country just get two passports. This is what I did, and went to Iran and Israel within 6 months of each other.

Most Middle Eastern countries has a lot to recomend them. For me the best ideas for trips are Istanbull and the west coast of Turkey, Eastern and Central Turkey, Western Iran, Israel or Syria and Jordan. I've done all of those except the last. I had the best time in Iran. One trip I'd really like to do, but I don't know how easy it would be without a going with a tour would be Uzbekistan to see Samarkand, Bokhara and Tashkent. That's pretty of the beaten track, so maybe it would be an interesting choice.

I don't wanna go in Israel ... maybe in lot of years to see Jerusalem as it is a must but that's all.

In fact your trip on the silk road seems very exciting, good luck !!

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Bovril View Post
    If you want to go to Israel and another, unfriendly, Middle Eastern country just get two passports. This is what I did, and went to Iran and Israel within 6 months of each other.

Most Middle Eastern countries has a lot to recomend them. For me the best ideas for trips are Istanbull and the west coast of Turkey, Eastern and Central Turkey, Western Iran, Israel or Syria and Jordan. I've done all of those except the last. I had the best time in Iran. One trip I'd really like to do, but I don't know how easy it would be without a going with a tour would be Uzbekistan to see Samarkand, Bokhara and Tashkent. That's pretty of the beaten track, so maybe it would be an interesting choice.
    That's some nice travelling, where else have you been in the world?

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Go to Central Asia, great experience and lots of fun.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker View Post
    That's some nice travelling, where else have you been in the world?
    The Middle East is the region I find most interesting and the one I've spent the most time in. I lived in Dubai for a year when I was very young and never really lost my fascination with Islamic architecture and the sound of the Muezin. Outside of the Muslim countires I mentioned allready I've been to Oman and Egypt.
    I've also been to a lot of Western Europe: Ireland, all the nations of the UK, France loads, Spain several times, Andorra, Germany, Austria loads, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia. Then in asia outside the middle east I've been to Thailand, Malaysia and India. I've also been to the US, but since my main interest in travelling is historical architecture, that was a bit of a non-event.