Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For EB Team: Thermopylae Map

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Default For EB Team: Thermopylae Map

hello guys! if u are interested, i just have released a beta, of my brandnew map Thermopylae (medII)....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=213007&page=2

if u are interested once released the map 1.0 , send me a pm and then i give u permission to use it... then u can replace turks and byzantines and put your spartans and persians....

Default Re: For EB Team: Thermopylae Map

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    hello guys! if u are interested, i just have released a beta, of my brandnew map Thermopylae (medII)....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=213007&page=2

if u are interested once released the map 1.0 , send me a pm and then i give u permission to use it... then u can replace turks and byzantines and put your spartans and persians....
    Why would they want a Thermopylae map for a mod that starts ca 272B.C?
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

So that the Spartans re-enactors can choose to re-enact their ancestors several hundred years ago?

We all know that all Greek players must camp 300 troops with support at Thermopylae.

John-117's Avatar Ordinarius

to be exact, 300 spartans, 700 thespians, and 400 thebans, if youre doing the final day. but you would have to choose a way to make it, with either the first day, where mostly hordes of light infantry attacked, which would probably be easier,the second day, with immortals, cavalry, and heavy infantry fought, which would be medium, or the final day, where everyone encircled the spartans and their allies, which would be nearly unbeatable unless you have a ready made plan.also, you would need some sort of gates as there were in the actual canyon, plus some way for the greeks to shield against the countless persian arrows. i think shields in more or less a testudo-like formation would work good, and then the archers would fire until they started hitting thier own guys, and fire again once 50%, 25%, and 10% of their men were left. after 10%, they would continually fire. i think thermoylae would be difficult to recreate though. try making like plaetea(a year after thermopylae, pwnd those persian pricks)
    Save a stripper, read a Playboy!
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator of rome View Post
    Why would they want a Thermopylae map for a mod that starts ca 272B.C?
    Rome defeated greeks and their allies at Thermopylae in 196 Bc

Icon7 Re: For EB Team: Thermopylae Map

Could it be used in the Campaign Map?
    • Karl Marx made a great contribution to the liberation cause of mankind, and because of his immortal exploits his name is still enshrined in the hearts of the working class and peoples of all countries.
      • [1], 1983, Let Us Advance Under the Banner of Marxism-Leninism and the Juche Idea

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    Rome defeated greeks and their allies at Thermopylae in 196 Bc
    there were many battles that occoured at Thermopylae.. if i'm not wrong also Scipio Africanus defeated Antiochus III and Sulla fought against Mythridates there..

this map would add some flavor because for me its considered an ancient place were great warriors fought in an historical place and epic battle =)

Antigenes's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by QUINTUS FABIUS MAXIM View Post
    there were many battles that occoured at Thermopylae.. if i'm not wrong also Scipio Africanus defeated Antiochus III and Sulla fought against Mythridates there..
    The Antiochus battle was the one mentioned, though it actually took place in 191 BC(E). Right before EB takes place, during the great Celtic invasion of Greece, the united Greeks made a stand at Thermopylae and were defeated (but later got their own back, taking advantage of the unsuitability of Gallic fighters to the missile-based warfare of the Aetolians). Yeah, there were plenty of engagements at Thermopylae. Pydna and Chaeronea also have recurring battles in classical history.
    Let them eat cock!

delra's Avatar Praepositus

It would be a lot of fun if you could set this map to be used if a battle takes place in the Thermopylae area. I'd bait enemy armies into fighting me at that spot all the time.

Is this possible?

I had a look at your thread there and the map terrain does look very cool- but how accurate is it? Those cliffs seem awfully steep compared to the actual place (I was there about 5 years ago). I know that the coastline has changed a lot, but not the rocks. Or am I wrong?

i think its really cool. great idea too. well done 5/5
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I agree, and it still remained a important chokepoint.

do you know if this map is compatible with kingdoms and retrofit mod? i currently have m2tw and kingdoms installed,with the retrofit mod and stone fort addon.

for those who dont know,

retrofit mod really just brings most of the kingdoms units into original. it also activates some units that were never used in the original, such as seargeant swordsman for england and most other west europe countries, and includes the venetian archer fix. includes many really good units that i wouldve liked to havein vanilla(like the seargeant swordsman, because it is like a fuedal knight, but is less expensive and easier to recruit) but stone forts addon is what it sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    I had a look at your thread there and the map terrain does look very cool- but how accurate is it?
    it goes close.. but it's not total historic 100%.. the only unhistoric thing on the map, is the final part of the passage on anopaia, who is very tiny on the map.. I chose to make it tiny (soldiers has to cross it in forced column), simple because a player who does not choose the defender faction, has the will to take immediately that "route/path" to win... (persians did not know about that passage, before ephialtes betray.. so it was not so easy to find i think) so i had to make it very tight and long to cross... so if u take the secondary way u have to spend so much real time, to cross the entire passage, to outflank the defenders from behind..

Those cliffs seem awfully steep compared to the actual place (I was there about 5 years ago). I know that the coastline has changed a lot, but not the rocks. Or am I wrong?
    ya i know.. i tried to create a balance between reality and possibility to create it on med2.. some things could not be read by med2 engine or they may cause lags or ctd's

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    do you know if this map is compatible with kingdoms and retrofit mod? i currently have m2tw and kingdoms installed,with the retrofit mod and stone fort addon.
    it is compatible with kingdoms. One guy who has SS mod + submods of SS on his pc, told me the map does not load on SS mod.. but it told me also, that there's no historical battle who works with SS mod..

apart that guy, i didnt have yet notifications about ctds or uncompatibility of the map.. if the game/mod could not recognize "turks and byzantines", i can give the version without factions or units employment areas, so if u have Eb2 installed u can load the map on editor, put the factions u have on your mod, the soldiers etc, and then save it overwriting and run correctly the map
    Last edited by DAVIDE; January 10, 2009 at 01:26 PM.

Don't get me wrong- looks like excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebre View Post
    cool

Don't get me wrong- looks like excellent work.
    no problem.. i can edit the map whenever i want
    Last edited by DAVIDE; January 11, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I supported this idea when I haven't seen the map yet. I've seen it now and I must say, it looks awesome! Though I don't know if its fully Historical, but it certainly looks great!

to be exact, 300 spartans, 700 thespians, and 400 thebans, if youre doing the final day. but you would have to choose a way to make it, with either the first day, where mostly hordes of light infantry attacked, which would probably be easier,the second day, with immortals, cavalry, and heavy infantry fought, which would be medium, or the final day, where everyone encircled the spartans and their allies, which would be nearly unbeatable unless you have a ready made plan.also, you would need some sort of gates as there were in the actual canyon, plus some way for the greeks to shield against the countless persian arrows. i think shields in more or less a testudo-like formation would work good, and then the archers would fire until they started hitting thier own guys, and fire again once 50%, 25%, and 10% of their men were left. after 10%, they would continually fire. i think thermoylae would be difficult to recreate though. try making like plaetea(a year after thermopylae, pwnd those persian pricks)
    About archer fire into hoplites: what if you make arrow fire into the front of hoplites almost inaffectiv, it would be realistic, if you fire arrows into a company of hoplites who are standing in a phalanx formation, the only way you can kill any of them is by hitting them in the eye, the shield, greaves and helmet covers the rest of the body, and i do bet they lowered their head for incoming arrows. a other thing would be if you hit the guard mode, then that would be like their going down on their knees and covering behind their shields if they are being hit by arrows.

Anyway a hoplite phalanx standing still shouldnt take much damage at all from archer fire, if they are on the move then they are a bit more vulnrable.

So my sugestion is to make arrow fire inafectiv when shoting at a phalanx that is standing still, while hitting them in the side or rear should be much more deadly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast