Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welsh Unit Names e.t.c

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Welsh Unit Names e.t.c

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakai
    Cardiff Castle or Caerphilly Castle!
    We will have to amend due to AI issues on trying to attack with rams over bridges and the amount of water but the answer is :

Kamakai's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    We will have to amend due to AI issues on trying to attack with rams over bridges and the amount of water but the answer is :

Colonel Cleg McLeg's Avatar Decanus
    Cardiff or Wrexham, in Wales, depending on the time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    One wonders where a Teulu of 160 heavily armed horsemen would have come from, given the decentralised and rural nature of welsh society at this time, with little cash
    (tribute was in food,not money.) They would have to have been an aggregation of the smaller Teulu of local chiefs grouped together under a king perhaps?
    It's important to remember that Llywelyn ap Gruffydd was the most powerful ruler any of the Welsh Kingdoms had seen since the similarly-named Gruffydd ap Llywelyn, and would therefore have had more men at his disposal than the smaller lords of Wales. Nevertheless, I'd say it was Wales' decentralised nature which allowed for large retinues. The Teulu were made up entirely of Bonheddwyr and Uchelwyr - the freemen and nobles, all landowners, who constituted the bulk of the Welsh population at the time. I think it's fair to say that their loyalty to their lord could only be increased by the aforesaid decentralised nature of the Welsh kingdoms - the Kings/Princes moved constantly around their land, visiting courts at all the different Cantrefi, and so they were able to familiarise themselves with every part of their realm, and, crucially, the powerful individuals therein.

Just my two cents. That's the impression I got from reading on the subject, in any case.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

<deleted>
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; May 25, 2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: dullness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12