Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [FREE AAR] Ave Caesar, Imperator ( 58 BC AAR by Octavius vatco Azura)

Default Re: [FRRE AAR]When Caesar and his Legions swept the world(An ARR by Octavius Vatco Azura)

Very nice AAR! I've been reading several books on Caesar, and it's cool to have these pictures, though fiction, to provide a cool image...
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

Default Re: [FRRE AAR]When Caesar and his Legions swept the world(An ARR by Octavius Vatco Azura)

After weeks of difficult battles for the control of Aegyptus, Caesar finally broke the siege and defeated all of Ptolemaios’ forces at the nile delta. With complete control over the richest country in the world, Caesar installs Cleopatra Philopator as ruler of Aegyptus under Roman protectorate. There could be no finer victory however, word comes from Asia provincial of an incursion. Pharnaces, son of Mithridates Eupator is looking to regain his father’s old kingdom and redeem his house and has killed thousands of Roman citizens in the new province of Pontus. Caesar races north to confront him with his veteran Legio VI and VIII.

Last edited by Octavius Vatco; October 21, 2014 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks Julius Barca..

The images are not fiction though. There historical recreations. like those in the historical documentaries.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I meant more like "Historical Fiction." As in, not pictures actually taken during the time, but accurate representations.

Edit: Very nice update, by the way. Excellent battle pictures! Those legionaries look very cool.
    Last edited by Julius Barca the Great; May 15, 2009 at 07:37 AM.
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Nice battle! I want to see more of Caesar!
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

VENI VIDI VICI

BTW..... thanks for the rep everyone.

Salvor. you'd be a very fine sniper if you'd somehow join an army.

why?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Citizen

He took a beating in that battle ... ohhh
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"

tuore's Avatar Senator

Good one.

I like the scrambled up chariot mess you created. Nothing like seeing your guys wade chest deap in carnage. +rep

Thanks tuore, dirty_M and red october.

I hope I captured a bit of the experience of Caesar's green recruits in the battle of zela when the chariots messed them up as of what I read.

Default Re: [FREE AAR]Ave Caesar, Imperator ( 58 BC AAR by Octavius vatco Azura)

THAPSUS

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Caesar aligned in a classic Roman formation with 9 legions, leaving 2 in his camp. Supported by cavalry, archers and other auxilia on the wings, Caesar's own soldiers were apparently tired of the delaying game they'd been playing for 3 months. They begged Caesar to give the order for battle, and he certainly obliged. Scipio's was forced into battle simply through geography. Thapsus rests on a strip of land sandwiched between the ocean and a large lake. Caesar blocked off one end of the strip with fortifications to prevent Scipio making any last minute attempts to refuse the battle. When Caesar gave the order to advance his men raced ahead with incredible energy and spirit. Scipio's elephants were turned away by fierce pilum attacks and his cavalry was routed almost from the start. Caesar flanked Scipio and the Republican lines buckled almost before the fighting even started. King Juba, camped away from Scipio's main lines saw the certain defeat and fled with his 30,000 men without even joining the battle.
    With a complete rout in progress, many surrendered but 10,000 men in particular had no such luck. They fled to a nearby hill and were pursued by Caesar's now enraged army. Perhaps their show of cowardice, along with the frustration of 4 months of refusal to do battle was too much for Caesar's men to restrain. Despite likely attempts by Caesar to restrain his army, they slaughtered these 10,000 enemy soldiers to a man.
    Despite his efforts, Caesar's enemies did escape, however. Both Labienus and Scipio managed to flee the battle safely. Scipio and whatever survivors he could muster fled to Utica, where Marcus Porcius Cato was in command of the garrison.
    Caesar followed immediately and captured towns along the way. News of the Republican defeat reached Cato on April 9, 46 BC, and he knew that all was lost. After doing what he could to help people flee the town, he decided there was nothing left for him to do.
    Likely on April 13, Marcus Porcius Cato retired to his private chambers and fell on his own sword, rather than bow down to Caesar. He was discovered, however, and attempts were made to save his life. In the great martyring of Cato as the bulwark of Roman Republican ideals, it was said that rather than be saved, he ripped out his own organs in order to ensure his death. Caesar, certainly hopeful that he could bring a defeated and pardoned Cato back to Rome was later quoted by Plutarch as saying "Cato, I must grudge you your death, as you grudged me the honor of saving your life."
    Over the next two months, resistance was squashed throughout Africa. Even the Numidian King, Juba committed suicide rather than face defeat. Scipio, despite his escape from Thapsus, was killed in a naval engagement near Hippo Regius. Gaius Sallustius Crispus was left to govern Africa, and by June, Caesar adding the conquest of Africa and Numidia to his list of accomplishments sailed back to Rome.

On account of the bravery shown in facing elephants on battle, I, G. IVLIVS CAESAR bestow an emblem in the likeness of an elephant to the LEGIO V ALAVDAE to adorn its standards and to serve as a reminder to everyone of the legion's valor.

Default Re: [FREE AAR]Ave Caesar, Imperator ( 58 BC AAR by Octavius vatco Azura)

The second-to-last picture is rather amusing; the cheering cavalry, with the legionary officer standing there, looking like he is about to kill them. Great update though.

Citizen

Mighty fine battle!

Bravo

BATTLE OF MUNDA

While Celebrations were going on in Roma, rebellion was brewing in Hispania. Incited by Gnaevs and Sextvs Pompeivs the sons of Pompeivs Magnvs, the cities of Hispania Ulterior rose in revolt and declared for the Pompeiani cause. They were able to raise a force of thirteen legions comprised of the old Pompeiani legions earlier defeated by Caesar during the beginning of the Bellvm Civile along with Iberian vernacular levies and survivors from Thapsvs including Titvs Labienvs. Caesar’s beleaguered legati, finding theirselves unable to take control of the situation, begged his assistance. Caesar arrived late in November of the year of his and M Aemilivs Lepidvs consulship, surprising both friend and foe. Caesar mustered his force of eight legions and 8,000 cavalry and immediately marched to besiege Corduba which was held by Sextus Pompeius with two legions. Sextus appealed to his brother for help, sparing ensued between Gnaeus and Caesar in a series of skirmishes during the next three months. Once again, Caesar was confronted with supply problems which he quickly resolved by taking Ategua and its abundant stock of grain. As Gnaeus retired south, Caesar pursued him as far as the oppidum of Munda where both sides made camp. Caesar was preparing to move off the following morning when scouts reported that Gnaeus had drawn up his army 13 legions flank by cavalry and auxiliaries on the slope for battle. Caesar responded by drawing out his 8 legions also flank by cavalry and auxiliaries. He then march up the slope.

JUST….ONE…MORE…BATTLE

Comilitones! Those who had been fighting with me for eight hard years in Gaul and since the civil wars begun, we had beaten back the vigorous Helvetii. We routed the arrogant but good German warriors back across the Rhine. We overcame the nervii the fiercest of the Belgae tribes the bravest of all the gauls. We twice embarked on an expedition across the northern sea and landed into the island of Britannia since then known to man only as a myth. We were the first to bridge and cross the broad river Rhine into the lands of the wild Germans devastating it, both unprecedented in the history of our people and the world. Against innumerable odds, we outlasted and ultimately defeated the gauls mustered from the mountains to the sea, in Alesia. We comilitones! We conquered all of Gaul, thus saving Roma from whatever threats by the dreaded barbarians! And then, in this unwanted civil war, after we were beaten off at Dyrrachium and yet, once more against all odds we utterly defeated Pompeius Magnus, the greatest commander of our time. Wherever we went, we were always victorious. Now, the good goddess Fortuna has given us once more another opportunity to finally end this bloody war which had cost the lives of thousands of Romans once and for all. There! On the slope, the last of the pompeianii menace led by the renegade Gnaeus Pompeius, son of Magnus. All we ever desired was peace and just to go home and enjoy the fruits of our labors but his father along with the self proclaimed boni men denied it from us thus forced us in fighting this damn civil war which they brought upon themselves and suffered for it. These men still have not learned that the gods are with us for our cause was righteous. Everything I have done, everything we have done was for the good of Roma and of her people. We have always pardoned my enemies throughout this war and still they would refuse peace and continue to raise arms against us and so give us no choice. Today will be different, pardon will not be offered a second time. Fighting beside you has been a great honor all these years and I am proud to have been your Imperator. And now, Im going to ask once more, just…. one more fight and then we can finally have peace and go home to our families. Comilitones! Are you still with me?!(The legions cheered and then march towards the enemy; Caesar! Caesar! Caesar!) For Rome!!!
    Last edited by Octavius Vatco; October 21, 2014 at 01:43 PM.

THE FINAL BATTLE FOR ROMA CIVILE BEGINS

THE BATTLE THAT ENSUED FEATURED SOME OF THE MOST BITTER, HARD FIGHTING OF THE ENTIRE CIVIL WAR

THE LEAST EXPERIENCE LEGIONARII BEGINS TO FALTER

BUT THE LEGIO X FINALLY MAKES THE DIFFERENCE, PUSHING THE POMPEIANS ON THEIR LEFT.

GNAEUS PULLED SOME COHORTS ON HIS RIGHT TO REINFORCE HIS THREATENED LEFT IN TURN WEAKEN HIS RIGHT

CAESAR SPOTS THE MOVE AND IMMEDIATELY TAKES ADVANTAGE, ODERS HIS CAVALRY ON THE LEFT TO CHARGE THE WEAKENED POMPEIANI RIGHT.
    THEN CAESAR HIMSELF RIDES TO ASSIST HIS FALTERING LEGIONARII ON HIS CENTER.

CAEASR'S CAVALRY SMASHES INTO THE POMPEIANI RIGHT

CAESAR FIGHTS ALONGSIDE HIS LEGIONARII, ENCOURAGING AND REORGANIZES HIS MEN AT HIS CENTER.

AS THE BATTLE SHIFTED MORE TO CAESAR'S FAVOR, THE POMPEIANI STARTED TO BREAK AND EVENTUALLY TURNED AND RAN. THE HARD FOUGHT BATTLE NOW DEGENERATED INTO A ROUT.

MERCILESSLY IN THEIR ZEAL TO END THE WAR ONCE AND FOR ALL, CAESAR'S LEGIONS PURSUED THE FLEEING POMPEIANI.

CAESAR ORDERS HIS MEN TO BLOCKADE MUNDA, SURROUNDING THE POMPEIANI SURVIVORS SEEKING SHELTER THERE.

Last edited by Octavius Vatco; July 08, 2009 at 10:13 AM.

This is excellent OV. So your nearly finished?
    Also at the beginning of this post, it says "The Battle of Begins" Maybe Munda there between of and Begins?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

ooppps...

Fixed...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast