Thread: Shield Values

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Default Shield Values

What determines the shield values of units in Retrofit (& GUAM)? Most infantry units tend to have 8 points of shield defence, but some have 5. With cavalry, some have 6 points and some have 5. What is the reasoning behind this? For example, Dismounted Ghulams have 5 shield, whereas Dismounted Hasham have 8 even though they're nearly identical.

Default Re: Shield Values

I think it revolves around 2 factors, from what I've seen in the files:

[This only applies to the mod *IF* the mod follows the same principles as Vanilla M2TW]

First and foremost, is it a cavalry or infantry unit -- cavalry units have a universal -2 shield from their infantry counterparts.

Second, if the shield is small, i.e. a buckler-sized shield, a cavalry unit would have 1-point less shield value than another cavalry unit with a larger shield. For infantry, a soldier with a buckler-sized shield (like Yeomen Archers) would have 3-points less shield value than a soldier with a larger shield (like Armored Sergeants).

I hope I didn't over-explain things, and that this is useful.

The strange thing is (as I mentioned in my OP) is that Dismounted Ghulams have a smaller shield value than Dismounted Hasham, while the two units are pretty much identical (though the former uses a mace that for some reason lacks an "effective against armour" trait).

That is strange. Most units with differing shield values (aside from cavalry vs. infantry) have a significant size difference. It seems that the Ghulams & Hasham are an exception to the general principles, then.

I recall seeing some cavalry units with 5 shield value (as opposed to 6). I'm unable to remember what units they were, but would the size of the shield explain why? The really strange thing is, you mention that a buckler-sized shield would have a small shield value while Sword and Buckler men just happen to have 8 points to their value. If only I knew why!

The cavalry with the 5 shield value might be, among others, the Late General's Bodyguard.

About the Sword & Buckler Men, Swordsmen Militia, Conquistadores, etc., assuming that the CA devs and myself have the same thought-processes on this, it could have been done to represent the superiority that steel shields have over wooden ones, strength wise. That's how I justify it, at least.