Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2.0: Cimbri Faction Preview

Arnspac's Avatar Miss You Calvin

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2.0: Cimbri Faction Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Was it something like this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Actually that's Oden / Wotan and Fenrir or Fenris Norse legends. Here's another one with Tyr and Fenris.;

This relates to the story of the binding of Fenris.
    Last edited by Arnspac; January 05, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Cu mândrie, under the Patronage of leif_erikson

There is no disease I spit on more than treachery.

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Arnspac View Post
    Actually that's Oden / Wotan and Fenrir or Fenris Norse legends. Here's another one with Tyr and Fenris.;

This relates to the story of the binding of Fenris.
    Intererestiting

Suebians (and Cherusci, Chatti, etc) will be represented by some free peoples' units.

Cimbri fit much better for our time period.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Suebians (and Cherusci, Chatti, etc) will be represented by some free peoples' units.

Cimbri fit much better for our time period.
    but how about the sweboz when do they seize to exist
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJoker View Post
    but how about the sweboz when do they seize to exist
    I thought that the Sweboz was the collective term for the ancient Germans?
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

I thought that the Sweboz was the collective term for the ancient Germans?
    yeah im not sure but everytime to look about in the internet i cant find snap
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

Wasn't the Sweboz a tribe that lived in southern Denmark and northern Germany? They had skirmishes and some battles against the Romans first when Caesar was conquering Gaul and pacifying it and then during the expansion to the Elbe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Sweboz or Swebaz are infact the Suebi. We do have Suebi units available as AoR and mercs
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Sweboz or Swebaz are infact the Suebi. We do have Suebi units available as AoR and mercs
    well thats good enough for me

Thanks Macky

Maybe sometime in the future there will be a Suebi faction. For now check this;

In the classical sources, the ethnonym Suebi is used with two different meanings: the specific tribe of Caesar's campaign, "dwelling on the Main", and "broadly, to cover a large number of tribes in central Germany."[5] The broad view is expressed in Tacitus' Germania, a basic written source for the Suebic peoples that states:[6]
    We must come now to speak of the Suebi, who do not, like the Chatti or Tencteri, constitute a single nation. They actually occupy more than half of Germany, and are divided into a number of distinct tribes under distinct names, though all generally are called Suebi.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suebians

Enjoy.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

I might just get RS 2.0 for this!

Awesome text and awesome units = 2xawesome.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

I second what friend Atterdag says above
    And i hope RS 2.0 will be modfoldered.

Maybe here and there i find some comments a bit pathetic ... ie. that the word "barbarians" relates to the hellenic Greeks who called every other people barbarians would help to understand the background of the term "barbarians", which went over to the Romans etc., and is misused until today. It happened as following, as far what we know:
    The Greeks didn't understand (of course) what other people said, and understood only something like "bar bar (or) wha wha" in their ears ... so the term barbar was born for foreign people other than Greeks

Also, is it intended to use the Cimbri&Teutones as the representation of the Germanic tribes in the whole as faction in RS 2.0? I find this a bit questionable to use that faction name for the Germanic people in the faction slot, as you know: the Cimbri existed only very temporary. They would be perfect for a time limited RS "minimod", just like what RTR is doing since their TIC mod.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 08, 2009 at 09:08 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJoker View Post
    germanic celtic cletic germanic but then what is germanic then wats germanic celtic but but
    Germans was just a Roman word for people east of the Rhine, aka where their empire eventually would stretch to and not further.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I second what friend Atterdag says above
    And i hope RS 2.0 will be modfoldered.

Maybe here and there i find some comments a bit pathetic ... ie. that the word "barbarians" relates to the hellenic Greeks who called every other people barbarians would help to understand the background of the term "barbarians", which went over to the Romans etc., and is misused until today. It happened as following, as far what we know:
    The Greeks didn't understand (of course) what other people said, and understood only something like "bar bar (or) wha wha" in their ears ... so the term barbar was born for foreign people other than Greeks

Also, is it intended to use the Cimbri&Teutones as the representation of the Germanic tribes in the whole as faction in RS 2.0? I find this a bit questionable to use that faction name for the Germanic people in the faction slot, as you know: the Cimbri existed only very temporary. They would be perfect for a time limited RS "minimod", just like what RTR is doing since their TIC mod.
    Not sure what you mean by "temporary", however these two peoples seem to have the most comprehensive descriptions by Tacitus, and therefore were a good fit. Also they caused Rome a tremendous amount of grief.

Barbarians..I do not think they were, anymore than the Vandals deserve to be associated with the term 'vandalized'. Actually they ( Vandals ) desecreated no public or religious monuments and what treasures were taken were treated with the utmost respect and care. They actually left Rome cleaner than it was when they arrived.

Could you give a better example of 'pathetic' ?

"What have the Vandals ever done for us?"

"Well, they did clean up the city a bit..."

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post

A nice turnabout of a classic question.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Heavily armed, 7-foot tall Vandal: "Hey, you guys don't need this marble statue, do you?"

Unarmed Roman citizens: "Uh... no, not at all. It's all yours."

Heavily armed Vandal: "Cool. Hey, you don't need this priceless fresco, do you?"

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Ancestors of Steptoe & Son!

( You perhaps have to be of a certain age to get that reference! )
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post

gave way to the word vandalism bad reputation

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I'm not sure about Greeks, but the Romans referred to Barbarians as those who didn't shave. The origins came from the Latin for beard "barbatus". The term Barbarus to describe non-Romans began to gain fame after the second punic wars due to the fact that Scipio Africanus popularized the clean-shaven look in Rome. Thus, the people who had a "barbatus" were deemed as the enemies of Rome, especially in the wake of the second punic war, when Romans faced war from nearly all her neighbors. As Gaul remained one of the last unconquered lands near Rome, the term "Barbarus" slowly began applying to what we call barbarians today.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.