Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2.0: Cimbri Faction Preview

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2.0: Cimbri Faction Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Trust me vasiooo Cimbri faction is correct! The Dacians will be more exact! It's a surprise...
    Tone has done great work for all factions!
    Well, they should in some way resemble the Cimbri(not necessarly unit-looking), as they were similar in many ways to the germanic tribes. Even the word Sica(pronounced "seeka") sounds very germanic: Sickle(English), Sichel(German). I think there must be somewhere a missing link between these 2 cultures. Perhaps it's the iranian influence, or perhaps something older. I wonder why no historian bothers to seek why there were so many resemblances between The Dacians(or Thracians in general) and the germanic tribes. As I see it, they were much closer to each other as either of them with the Celts. Take for example the rituals performed before battle by the Dacians and them trying to resemble wild animals, especially wolfes. Does "Bear Warriors" ring any bells? And the whole "affection" and "need" for nature that are still carved into Romanian culture to this date... These things of course beeing just a few examples. Maybe someone who knows more about this subject could jump into the discussion

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Scarrus View Post
    Well, they should in some way resemble the Cimbri(not necessarly unit-looking), as they were similar in many ways to the germanic tribes. Even the word Sica(pronounced "seeka") sounds very germanic: Sickle(English), Sichel(German). I think there must be somewhere a missing link between these 2 cultures. Perhaps it's the iranian influence, or perhaps something older. I wonder why no historian bothers to seek why there were so many resemblances between The Dacians(or Thracians in general) and the germanic tribes. As I see it, they were much closer to each other as either of them with the Celts. Take for example the rituals performed before battle by the Dacians and them trying to resemble wild animals, especially wolfes. Does "Bear Warriors" ring any bells? And the whole "affection" and "need" for nature that are still carved into Romanian culture to this date... These things of course beeing just a few examples. Maybe someone who knows more about this subject could jump into the discussion

Dacian is part of the Satem division of Indo-European language family while German is part of the Centum division.

The terms Centum Group and Satem Group come from the words for the number "one hundred" in a traditional representative language of each group: Latin centum and Avestan satəm. The initial consonant in these two examples comes from the Indo-European palatal consonant, *ḱ, which became in the first case a simple velar, and in the second a sibilant. The Romanian language has a Dacian substratum and the Romanian word for one hundred is "o suta"!

Many people of the ancient world performed rituals concerning the transformation of someone into wild animals including Native Americans. Nonetheless it is true that there could be a link between Cimbri bear warriors and the Romanian tradition consisting in men dressing as bears. Romanians have preserved many Dacian elements and we must be proud of our heritage!

Herodotus thought the Cimmerians and the Thracians closely related, writing that both peoples originally inhabited the northern shore of the Black Sea, and both were displaced about 700 BC, by invaders from further east. Whereas the Cimmerians would have departed this ancestral homeland by heading east and south across the Caucasus, the Thracians migrated west and south into the Balkans, where they established a successful and long-lived culture. The Tauri, the original inhabitants of Crimea, are sometimes identified as a people related to the Thracians.

Thracians inhabited parts of the ancient provinces: Thrace, Moesia, Macedonia, Dacia, Scythia Minor, Sarmatia, Bithynia, Mysia, Pannonia, and other regions on the Balkans and Anatolia. This area extends over most of the Balkans region, and the Getae north of the Danube as far as beyond the Bug.

Premodern historians asserted Cimmerian descent for the Celts or the Germans, arguing from the similarity of Cimmerii to Cimbri or Cymry.

The etymology of Cymro "Welshman" (plural: Cymry) and Cwmry (for Cumbria), connected to the Cimmerians by 17th century celticists, is now accepted by Celtic linguists to derive from the Brythonic word combrogos and Proto-Brythonic kom-brogos, meaning "compatriots", and is thus related to its sister language Breton's keñvroad, keñvroiz "compatriot".

The Takla Makan Mummies of China are of Caucasoid origin. These 3,000-year-old people celebrated fertility in Western China, at reproductive fertility rite ceremony sites, where they drew figures virtually identical to 4,000-year-old ones found in Bulgaria and Ukraine. The Horse was first domesticated on the lands which were part of the Thracian home range, the Ukrainian Steppes. Man domesticated horses here between 4500 and 2500 BC. The fierce Cimmerians also originated on these lands. Most likely they where the first ever nomads. The origin of the Cimmerians is obscure. Linguistically they are usually regarded as Thracian or as Iranian, or at least to have had an Iranian ruling class. They probably lived in the area north of the Black Sea.

Cimmerians where responsible for the destruction of the Armenian - Urartu kingdom and the Thracian - Phrygian one. The Cimmerian’s culture influenced the Celts, the Thracians, and the Scythians who defeated and assimilated the Cimmerians in a 30 year war around the 7th or 8th centuries BC.

The Sarmatians where the descendents of the Cimmerians and had their revenge over the Scythians. A large part of the Sarmatians migrated westwards and established near Thracians! In many cases Thracians and Sarmatians allied against common enemies.

Herodotus was probably right about the common origin of Thracians and Cimmerians (Sarmatians) but he was most certainly wrong about the period they decided to migrate in opposite directions! That happened much earlier!

Of course there exists the possibility of more then one migrations...

There are some historians that sustain the Thracian origin of the Pelasgians, Etruscans and Iberians based on the Albanian language related to ancient Thracian and Illyrian, on the legend of Sea People and on the migration of Lydians in Italy. The Albanian language was used to decipher ancient writings found in Lemnos and Imbros islands, Egypt, Italy and Spain.

Some say that Minoans and Argolids where Pelasgians and that the ancient Philistines, Etruscans and Iberians were descendents of the Sea People of Thracian and Semitic origins...

Thracians influenced many cultures including Macedonians and Greeks!

To answer your question there was without a doubt a relation between Thracians and the Germanic Cimbri even if they were closer to Celts regarding lifestyle and warfare.

Thraco-Cimmerians migrated in Cimbri teritory and merged with them. This is proved by testing mithocondrial DNA. Back then Cimbri were Celts and lived near the Alps. Only later they merged with the Germans from the north and took the Etruscan-based runic writing system with them. They are responsible for the Etruscan scripts in Northern Europe.

Many Celtic tribes that lived in Southeastern Europe claimed to be descendends of the Thracians! They were Celto-Thracians!

Distribution of Thraco-Cimmerian finds!

We Romanians have such a great history and we don't even know it!
    Last edited by Visarion; March 03, 2010 at 12:39 PM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

some very nice units here... love the helmets of nobles mounted and dismounted...

xXEsotericXx's Avatar Biarchus

oh.. .Never seen this Thread before, awsome Faction ! Bear warriors look Beast
    "I think left but i write extreem right"
    - Esoteric -

:

Awesome units just pondering about this ''Averaging over six and a half feet tall,.'' in the description of Cimbri Noble Cavalry. I find that hard to believe when Vikings or their Ancient Germanic cousins (the men obviously) averaged about 5'6'' so 6'5''would be very very uncommon even for these supposedly very tall Germans.

Mulattothrasher's Avatar Vicarius

Hmm, I think that might be a reference from some classical sources. Regardless it's not meant to be taken seriously. :-)

Ok but still wondering how that came about though.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

They are playing on the misticism and terror caused by the germanians, romans, gauls and their enemy in general made them out to be big monsters.

Blackshamrock.'s Avatar Campidoctor

There's some great looking units there. Keep up the good work guys. You certainly know how to keep us happy . I can't Waite for it to come out. Thank you again.
    And When he Gets to heave to st peter he will tell. One more Soldier reporting sir I've served my time in hell.

Superb review as always!

Wow, this looks amazing. Seems like a lot of hard work went into this and it is well researched and presented.

However, I have one issue, if you can call it that. This seems to be more of a general Germanic faction than a pure Cimbrian faction, which I noticed after the Batavi and the Canenefatae were included, who were Romanized tribes who did not really get written about until the Batavian Revolt in 69 AD, while on the other hand what we know from the Cimbri comes from around 113-101 BC. That's almost a 200 year difference, kinda like the Creative Assembly including the Iceni as a faction in Rome II haha, the locations are also fairly different.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

Arnspac's Avatar Miss You Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by LemonySniffit View Post
    Wow, this looks amazing. Seems like a lot of hard work went into this and it is well researched and presented.

However, I have one issue, if you can call it that. This seems to be more of a general Germanic faction than a pure Cimbrian faction, which I noticed after the Batavi and the Canenefatae were included, who were Romanized tribes who did not really get written about until the Batavian Revolt in 69 AD, while on the other hand what we know from the Cimbri comes from around 113-101 BC. That's almost a 200 year difference, kinda like the Creative Assembly including the Iceni as a faction in Rome II haha, the locations are also fairly different.

Other than that, keep up the good work.
    Well every merc unit is available for the entire time frame of 300+ years.

Certain legions have a trip mechanism before they can be recruited.

Setting the same parameters for different mercs or peoples would be maddening.

Post # 60 may shed some light on who or what the Cimbri may have been, or just confuse the issue more.
    The Works of Tacitus: The Oxford Translation, Revised, with Notes, Volume 2 - search Cimbri...

Read the notes on those pages, very interesting.

The travels of these people most assuredly made for contact with other tribes. The Batavi were originally Chatti but broke away as did the Mattiacians.

It's eye-candy and for the pure enjoyment of the player.
    Cu mândrie, under the Patronage of leif_erikson

There is no disease I spit on more than treachery.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011