Thread: Geopolitics and Total War

delArko's Avatar Laetus

Default Geopolitics and Total War

I'm not precisely sure where this should go as a topic, but it will deal strictly with the mechanics of this game based upon practical considerations, for both the campaign and battle map.

Whether you play the AI, or play hotseat with somebody else, most would agree that there are many little things that need to be corrected in order to have a successful (and realistic) campaign. The aim is to use this forum to iron these issues out, solely based on the very concept of Total War.

I'm not a modding expert, nor do I need to be. I wish merely to discuss, using faction/faction examples, where victory or defeat lies based on the tools and options one has and can acquire to fight a war as efficiently and sensibly as possible.

So if you, like me, find the most enjoyment in military logistics and strategic thought as they apply to this game series, then feel free to throw in your two cents.

For those "all aboard", please let me know this won't end up being a thread for the trash bin soon after, for I feel there is plenty to talk about.

Until my next post, thanks for your time and again feel free to comment.

delArko

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Geopolitics and Total War

Has possibilities, I think you need to give an example/scenario, people round here tend to prefer a starting point on a plate rather than trying to eat the whole larder (I know terrible analogy).. Good idea to state where your own interest is, Rome, Medieval, LOTR?..

You'll also, probably, have to deal with differing mods and how they tackle logistical expansion which might mean comparing mods, something which is a sure fire way to see a thread derailed with 'who better who's best' arguments..

So maybe kick off with unit recruitment/AoR systems, or religious/educational buildings vs economic for the long term..

Welcome to TWC..

delArko's Avatar Laetus

Alright. Sounds good. Thanks for responding. In the next little while, I will try to gather a plan (and a couple of factions) to use as examples and get a discussion going on it.

delArko's Avatar Laetus

I was going to start a brand new campaign, but have decided to go with an existing one as the Byzantines on VHVH. It's 1136 and Egypt is a powerhouse on all levels - I can't even land an army (although I sacked and liquidated Alexandria not long ago) and had to evacuate as the oncoming stacks made their way south. (I have a screenshot of the overall graph with the leading factions but it won't let me upload it)
    Turkey is big, but broke and so far, the two aren't as hostile towards one another as I wish they'd be. I'm in the process of reform and don't possess the momentum or the funding to take and hold land in Egypt. I can only raid to pull their armies south away from me and hopefully the two start fighting before Egypt really gets going. War with Hungary is underway, as I'm attacking in two directions along the coastal regions to deprive them of the water. Geo-politically, I'm at the hub of trade in the Med, yet have only 64000 florins with a hefty build sheet of both military and economic assets on the way. With only 4 cities and 8 castles, my reformation includes taking at least 1 castle and converting it into a city. and fortifying against the Islamic factions in case of a crusade against me.

Through this faction and this diplomatic setting, I think we can use common sense to iron out all of the logistical bugs left in this engine to create a balanced experience, whether you play the Ai or a friend on hotseat. (I'm using Darth Mod 1.4, which along with Europa Barbarorum are my fav's)

The idea is to approach the game not necessarily from the skinning aspect, but from the nuts and bolts and gain understanding and exploit any and all the little things about this game that some (including myself) may not have known about, and as this grows in size and popularity, allocate and sub-categorize the topics to develop organized easy to find hints and tips as well as unique fighting systems that work in a particular region against a particular faction.
    So if anybody can elaborate on this topic please, feel free to dive in, as this is as much of a learning experience for me as it is for anyone else.

Maybe I'll update around 1150 and by then I should have atleast two professional armies to send somewhere.
    Last edited by delArko; January 08, 2009 at 03:33 PM.

delArko's Avatar Laetus

Can anybody post the best links of the mechanics of both the campaign and battle map (how guys like Darth fiddle with the Ai routines) so maybe I don't have to ask so many redundant questions.

Thanks in advance

delArko's Avatar Laetus

Many thanks for this.