Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Mordor --

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: -- Preview of Mordor --

Uruks were strong and large orcs from Mordor who first appeared at year 2475 of Third Age while they conquered Ithilien and destroyed city of Osgiliath. Uruk-hai were human-like orc race which Saruman created in Isengard during late Third Age. It's possible that he was crossbreeding dunlendings with orcs from the mountains, Dol Guldur and Mordor but that's not sure.

Uruks weren't nescessarily their own race, they were just strongest and biggest orcs which Sauron gathered together from Mordor. They were opposite to Snaga orcs who were small orcs who did all the filthy job.

You've done it again! Truly awesome work! Especially trolls ang Nazgul's bodyguards.

Thorondor123's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    Uruks were strong and large orcs from Mordor who first appeared at year 2475 of Third Age while they conquered Ithilien and destroyed city of Osgiliath. Uruk-hai were human-like orc race which Saruman created in Isengard during late Third Age. It's possible that he was crossbreeding dunlendings with orcs from the mountains, Dol Guldur and Mordor but that's not sure.

Uruks weren't nescessarily their own race, they were just strongest and biggest orcs which Sauron gathered together from Mordor. They were opposite to Snaga orcs who were small orcs who did all the filthy job.
    Sources please! There's nothing like that in my copy of the Lord of The Rings.

Saruman creating Uruk-Hai is Peter Jackson stuff from the movies.
    "Let mortal heroes sing your fame"

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

I suggest you to read Unfinished Tales and History of Middle-earth volumes. Uruk-hai were bred by Saruman, they were most likely bred from Uruks of Mordor. Uruk-hai were described as taller, more intelligent and more man-like than other orcs.

And what parts of my previous posts can't be found from Lord of the Rings copy of yours?
    Last edited by Varjon; January 01, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

AWESOME! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

No, really. That's the faction that I'll play first
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Thanks everyone.

So that the same questions are not asked every time:
    First of all, I will make the Orcs a bit smaller, though they are already slightly smaller than men.
    I took my reference from the movies and if you see them fight, they are actually not much smaller than man.
    Anyway, as you wish...
    actually orcs are almost upright in the movies. they could be slightly less upright, but that would require hundreds of new animations and for all weapon types. I assume that no one will ever do this for the little effect you would get.

Making the legs a tiny bit longer or shorter...; I have changed them a hundred times sand I won't make any more changes to the trolls, since they already used up too much time and the animation is ready.

Trolls won't be classified as cavalry since the AI would use them like cavalry (flanking). These trolls should be used as shock troops by the AI, so they will be infantry. Maybe Mordor can recruit some mounted numenorians from time to time.

No one said that they couldn't be a rare elite unit.

Animations for the trolls are all done, even two different variants.

Wouldn't happen to have any 'Stills' of the Trolls in action, fighting wise that we could have a gander at KK?

Even if he does, I'm sure that he's going to leave us wondering until release. KK doesn't like to spoil too much of the surprise.

Well done to all involved in this most polished and professional looking mod.

Can't wait
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Thorondor123 View Post
    Sources please! There's nothing like that in my copy of the Lord of The Rings.

Saruman creating Uruk-Hai is Peter Jackson stuff from the movies.
    Where are your sources to say they are the same thing? The reason it didn't say it in the links you gave is because its just common sense and doesn't need to be said

Well just amazing

Keep the good work

There are many more Tolkien works besides the LOTR and The Hobbit.

From what I've heard the term "Uruk" and "Uruk-Hai" are synonymous; "Uruk" means Orc and "hai" simply means "people" or "folk", Uruk-hai meaning simply "Orc-folk", thus the usage of "orc" and "orc-folk" being generally the same.

It was in the Jackson movies that the attempt was made to fasten "Uruk-Hai" with Saruman's special breed of orks while other orcs were simply "orcs". But Sauron too made forms of smaller and larger orcs (as seen in the Jackson movies, particularly when the two types of orcs kill each other off in the tower) with the larger breed looking very similar to Saruman's "special blend".

The main difference from what I can understand is that Saruman's Uruks were generally more obedient. While Sauron just wanted to toss as many bloodthirsty orks into one giant army, Saruman went to great lengths to create more "uniform", "cleaner" armies, with somewhat standardized armor and weaponry.

Anyway I love these Mordor units. My only little tiny beef is that they look too brown... perhaps reshade more of their clothing to appear more reddish-hued?

Not bad, but they do look like humans with orc heads on, can you not change the models so they are hunched over more?
    The Watchwords Of Midnight
    "The brave and the free fear no foe, go forth, mighty hosts of Midnight! Unto death or victory we go!"

The Midnight Chronicles

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

Cant resist tossing my knowledge in the fray, but Uruk-hai are Uruks. Uruks are the biggest and baddest Orcs, but Orcs nonetheless. The Uruk-hai are the biggest and baddest Uruks. thats he basics....

....AWESOME PREVIEW! CANT WAIT! IM WISHING SOME UNITS COULD BE UPLOADED TO TEST IN CUSTOM BATTLES! no seriously is that a possibilty? just curious. GREAT WORK!
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Gregorius I View Post
    Cant resist tossing my knowledge in the fray, but Uruk-hai are Uruks. Uruks are the biggest and baddest Orcs, but Orcs nonetheless. The Uruk-hai are the biggest and baddest Uruks. thats he basics....
    I'd agree with this. Its what I've always thought anyway

This is just wonderfull!

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    Not bad, but they do look like humans with orc heads on, can you not change the models so they are hunched over more?
    That would require new animations for everything (literally).

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Well it is just unreal regular orcs to be as tall and fit as the mighty Uruks... They should be a lot shorter.

i think this link sums up what i just did when i saw these awesome skins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5XXFqOUyA

Remember Constantinople
    mr bush how can u put people in jail for smoking weed when you smoke weed. that makes you a hypocrite. bush says do you like hand jobs. the guy says hell yea. bush says do you like giving hand jobs. the guy says no. bush says well then your a fing hypocrite to!!!.

amazingggggggggggggggggggg i really like this preview.. good job

Regular orcs should be a bit smaller... while they're usually described as being slightly hunched and with longer arms than a man (almost monkey-like but not quite). But even so, wouldn't it be possible to simply downsize the entire orc without having to change the animations? No need to reposition the body, just make sure they're slightly shorter than the average man.