Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was the shortest lasting Empire and longest?

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

From what I recall of the First Mexican Empire. It lasted about a year *tongue* . Is that it? Could there possibly be any shorter lasting Empire? The second one lasted about 3 years so if you put them together it's about 4 but thefirst alone has to keep the record. For the longest I would say the Roman Empire. If you put in the Eastern(Byzantine) Empire together that makes about 1500 years.

the pharaon empire last something like 3000years

Civis

I don't think Mexico ever really owned enough land, wealth, or power to call herself an "empire" in the traditional sense.

As for the shortest empire, I'll say.... Hmmm.... the Hunnic Empire, which wasn't really an "Empire" until Attila gained enough men to fight a pitched battle against Rome... which he promptly lost.

Mexico was for a short while an empire, regardless of its natural or economic resources. If anything it did ahve an emporer, Maximillian, but he was killed after about a year or so qnzkid711 would be correct.

Qin Shi Huangti...the first emperor of China, the implementer of the world's first recorded centralized/bureaucratized central government, and the builder of the Great Wall. He ruled for 15 years, and his son was instantly deposed when he tried to succeed his father. :blink

I know that there are shorter, but it just seems funny that such a big figure who made such monumental changes has such a laughably short legacy. Not to mention that he was sort of Hitleresque in sending out detatchments of his minions searching all over the known world for an immortality elixir. :huh

Didnt the Imperialist Japanese empire fall in 8 years?

Ottoman empire lasted for more then 700 years, thats pretty long too.

Didn't the Egyptians last for something like 4700 years? Before they were conquered by the Greeks?

Roman Empire or Byzantine Empire as the longest. britsh empire or the hunnic empire as the shortest.

Originally posted by Chuffy@Mar 31 2005, 04:03 AM
    Didn't the Egyptians last for something like 4700 years? Before they were conquered by the Greeks?
    I thought they were annexed by the persians. Still didnt their empire fall twice and built up again?

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Didn't the Egyptians last for something like 4700 years? Before they were conquered by the Greeks?*
    it lasted for some 2 900 years

I thought they were annexed by the persians. Still didnt their empire fall twice and built up again?
    first conquered by Assyrian then Persian then Alexander then Ptolemy then Rome then Byzintium then etc
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

longest would have to be the British Empire it's still around but now it's called the Commonwealth
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

If you counted the Byzantines as simply being eastern Romans, then that would mean the Roman Empire, in its two forms, lasted from the formation of the Republic in 509 BC until 1453 AD when Constantinople was finally overrun by the Turks. That would mean Rome and her descendants lasted 1962 years but if you wanted to count from the time Rome was founded, it'd be 2206 years.

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

That doesnt count. A republic is not an Empire.

the shortest empire = My Empire, thought of it in 1 period durring school and thats how long it lasted LOL!
    <span style='color:green'>C</span><span style='color:gray'>o</span><span style='color:red'>s</span><span style='color:green'>a</span> <span style='color:gray'>N</span><span style='color:red'>o</span><span style='color:green'>s</span><span style='color:gray'>t</span><span style='color:red'>r</span><span style='color:green'>a</span> <span style='color:gray'>T</span><span style='color:red'>i</span><span style='color:green'>l</span><span style='color:gray'>l</span> <span style='color:red'>I</span> <span style='color:green'>D</span><span style='color:gray'>i</span><span style='color:red'>e</span>

<span style='color:green'>The</span> <span style='color:gray'>Sicilian</span> <span style='color:red'>Warrior</span>

Hoglerdanske

Longest = The Roman Empire
    Shortest = don&#39;t know...

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

The British Empire is not the longest. If you count its start from the conquest of Wales, it lasted about 700 years. If you count from Scotland&#39;s absorption (The Union), that gives you about 250 years.
    Longest is going to be ancient. Egyptian probably has it. Rome must be the best option of the &#39;recent&#39; empires. Of the empires that have been around from Middle Ages then I would probably argue France (it has annexed a number of Pacific Islands and so, arguably still exists as an empire) or even China (which is still absorbing Tibet). The creation of the Commonwealth IS NOT an extension of the British Empire in these terms. Many of those countries have their own Head of State which is not the Queen...

What do you mean it doesn&#39;t count? The Roman Republic had an empire long before it was known as the Roman "Empire," so saying it doesn&#39;t count doesn&#39;t make much sense at all.

Shortest empire = Alexander&#39;s

Shortest emperor = Napoleon (he was like 5 feet&#33;&#33;&#33

Ryder65's Avatar Civis

^^Actually, Napoleon was 5&#39;6&#39;&#39;, an average height for his day. He was in fact not short at all. *wink*

"We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers."
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast