Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CTD Fix version 2-updated

Default CTD Fix version 2-updated

Info on the problem and the proposed/included solution:

This is a fix designed to cure the revolt CTD problem plus another CTD that has been reported during the Carthaginian faction turn.

Concerning the revolt CTD problem, you can follow the whole discussion on the matter in the thread "end turn ctd and I think I know why". This particular fix is intended to cure the problem associated with the so-called loyalist revolts. This means that sometimes when the city revolts to another faction besides the rebels the game crashes. Probably because there are no units available for the game to create for the faction to which the city is revolting to. We think that this is what the role of the peasants in vanilla RTW was. Namely, to have a unit type that is recruitable by all the factions in every city out there, with no other conditions attached. This does not mean that we have reintroduced the vanilla RTW peasants. We have used already existing units of every faction and made them recruitable via the indestructible government buildings. In the first version of the fix the units had a very high cost so that the Ai did not make whole armies of them. Now these units will not appear in the recruitment panel, as we have made a small trick with faction ownership, following the solution found by the Europa Barbarorum team.

On the other hand, the CTD during the Carthaginians' turn was due to the recruitment some naval units.

Finally, as suggested by Florin, we have also fixed a problem with a hoplite unit lacking its proper texture.

Also keep in mind that this is one of the proposed solutions. Suggestions are always welcomed.

Install information for the no mod switch version of RTRPE updated 11/02/09

1. Download the fix, named RTR_PE_CTD_fix.rar, that is attached at the bottom of this post

2. The three files included are:
    export_descr_unit.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt
    descr_model_battle.txt

plus the UI folder

3. Copy them all in this location:
    Rome - Total War/data
    You will be asked if you want to overwite the existing files. Say yes.

Install information for the mod switch version of RTRPE updated 11/02/09

1. Download the fix, named RTR_PE_mod_switch_CTD_fix.rar, that is attached at the bottom of this post

2. The three files included are:
    export_descr_unit.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt
    descr_model_battle.txt

plus the UI folder

3. Copy them all in this location:
    Rome - Total War/RTRPE/data

Note: Make a backup of the three original files first so that you can revert the changes if you want to.

EDIT: at first sight (from what the users report) it seems saved game compatible, but it is best to make a backup of both the files and the saved games to be sure you can revert the changes if you want to.

Also, please remember to give feedbacks so we know where we stand. Thank you!
    Last edited by Salvor Hardin; February 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Updated!

Libertus

Default Re: CTD Fix version 2

The download link is not working for me.

Error message from RapidShare:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.
    This limit is reached.
    To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

I had not considered the new Rapidshare policy.

The file is attached at the bottom of the first post.

I really like RTR. I was trying to get the custom mod by peterofnj to work, I can't figure it out and he doesn't want to show up.

Does this fix the CTD that the Roman player gets, around 100 BC?

Maybe you can add the brutii scippii and senate as "dead_until_resorected" as dummy factions, if that's possible.
    Last edited by Gaul; January 04, 2009 at 07:42 AM.
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Thanks, it fixed the CTD I was getting after ending my turn on winter 272 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    This is a fix designed to cure the revolt CTD problem plus another CTD that has been reported during the Carthaginian faction turn.

... On the other hand, the CTD during the Carthaginians' turn was due to the recruitment some naval units.
    I am playing the Carthaginians and I was building a quadrireme for the 1st time in Syracuse to be completed in 2 more turns. I was also in the process of building a dockyard to be finished in 1 more turn (hoping that the quadrireme would have the 2XP bonus). So I'm not sure if the CTD was from a loyalists revolt or due to naval recruitment. The CTD fix has eliminated the 2XP bonus to quadriremes, so not everything has worked out as I wanted it to.

Most likely a coincidence, but on the same turn before the CTD, I encountered a map problem two tiles away from Mediolanium. The tile is one square to the northwest then one square north of Mediolanium. I attacked a Gaul army on that tile with two armies, one from the south containing my general, and one from the southeast containing my main forces. In the battle, the terrain was far too forested, the mini-map had unusual squares, and part of my army never "entered the battle". More precisely, part of my army marched from one corner of the red zone to the other corner and then completely off the map!

- If you have the simple, no mod switch version of RTRPE copy them in this location:
    Rome - Total War/data
    If I read you right, this method didn't work for me. I had to extract the files to a separate directory and then copy them to the data files. When I tried to extract them directly to the data directory, it oddly said the files were overwrited but in actuality they were not.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by hungry View Post
    If I read you right, this method didn't work for me. I had to extract the files to a separate directory and then copy them to the data files. When I tried to extract them directly to the data directory, it oddly said the files were overwrited but in actuality they were not.
    My guess is that you actually have the mod switch version, in that case you'd have to put them in Rome - Total War/RTRPE/data

Are you using the mod switch version?

Edit: btw, welcome to the forums, hungry!!

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

A new revolt fix? Awesome! Great work! Five Three questions:
    1) May I use this in the ExRM?
    2) Which hoplite is fixed?
    3) The ExRM is currently still using the old town square fix as well as the first version of this fix. Can I just run this fix through the town square, or do they need to be recruited through the gov't building?

I looked for the thread so I could get answers to some of these questions there, but I couldn't find it.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    A new revolt fix? Awesome! Great work! Five Three questions:
    1) May I use this in the ExRM?
    Of course

2) Which hoplite is fixed?
    I think that it was the greek hoplite unit. An error in the code made the faction unit use the AOR texture.

3) The ExRM is currently still using the old town square fix as well as the first version of this fix. Can I just run this fix through the town square, or do they need to be recruited through the gov't building?
    After getting some feedback, we have come to the conclusion that a combination of the town square plus this new fix might be the best possible solution. So if I were you, I would keep the old fix and manually add the units to the government building too.

By the way, could you please upload the old fix -the one with the town square building-?

1) Cool, thanks! I looked it over, and it appears that the main change you've made is that the units are now normally priced and available only to the slave faction. Is that right, or have I missed something?

2) Oh, ok. I changed the texture and sprite of that unit, so that probably got fixed awhile ago completely by accident.

3) Ok. Here's what I've found. I save all kinds of stuff (I have most of the old dev files from RTRPE...why, I don't know), and I think these two are the most likely to be what you're looking for. There's this old text file entitled "changes for the CTD fix.txt" and a .rar file that seems to be more official. There's also what we're using in the ExRM, which I can post if you'd like.
    .rar file is here: http://rapidshare.com/files/18197869...ies_rebel_.rar
    Text file is here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    exp descr building

paste before last (empty) building

building hinterland_slaverec
    {
        levels slave_rec
        {
            slave_rec requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, slave, }
            {
                capability
                {
            ; Slave units

; Italian
            recruit "aor italy velite custom"     4  requires marian_reforms and hidden_resource aor_italy
                    recruit "aor italy hastati custom"    4  requires marian_reforms and hidden_resource aor_italy

recruit "aor samnite spearmen custom"   4  requires not factions { romans_julii, } and not marian_reforms and hidden_resource aor_italy
                    recruit "aor samnite swordsmen custom"  4  requires not factions { romans_julii, } and not marian_reforms and hidden_resource aor_italy
            recruit "aor italy skirmisher custom" 4  requires not factions { romans_julii, } and not marian_reforms and hidden_resource aor_italy
            recruit "aor italy cavalry custom"    4  requires not factions { romans_julii, carthage, } and hidden_resource aor_italy

; Asian AOR
                    ;recruit "merc eastern infantry" 4  requires factions { slave, } and hidden_resource aor_asia and not hidden_resource aor_arab
            recruit "slave persia phalanx"  4  requires hidden_resource aor_asia and not hidden_resource aor_arab
            recruit "slave persia archer"   4  requires hidden_resource aor_asia and not hidden_resource aor_arab
                    recruit "slave persia cavalry"  4  requires hidden_resource aor_asia and not hidden_resource aor_arab

; Persian AOR
            ;recruit "merc eastern infantry" 4  requires factions { slave, } and hidden_resource aor_pers and not hidden_resource aor_arab
                    recruit "slave persia phalanx"  4  requires hidden_resource aor_pers and not hidden_resource aor_arab
                    recruit "slave persia archer"   4  requires hidden_resource aor_pers and not hidden_resource aor_arab
                    recruit "slave persia cavalry"  4  requires hidden_resource aor_pers and not hidden_resource aor_arab

; Hillmen AOR
            ;recruit "merc eastern infantry" 4  requires factions { slave, } and hidden_resource aor_hill
                    recruit "slave persia phalanx"  4  requires hidden_resource aor_hill
                    recruit "slave persia archer"   4  requires hidden_resource aor_hill
                    recruit "slave persia cavalry"  4  requires hidden_resource aor_hill

; AOR India
                    recruit "slave india infantry" 4  requires hidden_resource aor_indi
                    recruit "slave india spearmen" 4  requires hidden_resource aor_indi
                    recruit "slave india elephant" 4  requires hidden_resource aor_indi

; Galatians AOR
            recruit "aor galatia swordsmen" 4  requires not factions { romans_brutii, } and hidden_resource aor_galat
            recruit "aor galatia slinger"   4  requires not factions { romans_brutii, } and hidden_resource aor_galat
            recruit "aor galatia cavalry"   4  requires not factions { romans_brutii, } and hidden_resource aor_galat
            recruit "aor galatia chariot"   4  requires not factions { romans_brutii, } and hidden_resource aor_galat
            recruit "aor galatian legionaries" 4  requires not factions { romans_brutii, romans_julii, } and hidden_resource aor_galat and marian_reforms

; Judaean AOR
            recruit "slave judea zealots"   7  requires hidden_resource judaea

; Arab AOR
                    recruit "slave bedouin"         4  requires hidden_resource aor_arab
                    recruit "slave bedouin archers" 4  requires hidden_resource aor_arab
                    recruit "slave arab infantry"   4  requires hidden_resource aor_arab

; Gaulic AOR
            recruit "aor gaul slinger custom"         4  requires not factions  { carthage, } and hidden_resource aor_gaul
                    recruit "aor gaul spearmen custom"        4  requires not factions  { carthage, greek_cities, macedon, } and hidden_resource aor_gaul
                    recruit "aor gaul swordsmen custom"        4  requires not factions  { carthage, greek_cities, macedon, } and hidden_resource aor_gaul
            recruit "aor gaul light cavalry custom"    4  requires not factions  { carthage, roman, } and hidden_resource aor_gaul
            recruit "aor gaul heavy cavalry custom"    4  requires not factions  { carthage, roman, } and hidden_resource aor_gaul

; German AOR
                recruit "aor german warband custom"    4  requires hidden_resource aor_germ
            recruit "aor german batavian custom"    4  requires not factions  { germans, } and hidden_resource aor_germ
            recruit "aor german lightcav custom"    4  requires hidden_resource aor_germ

; Spanish AOR
                    recruit "aor spain infantry custom"       2  requires hidden_resource aor_iber
                    recruit "aor spain spearmen custom"       2  requires hidden_resource aor_iber
            recruit "aor spain cavalry custom"        2  requires not factions  { carthage, } and hidden_resource aor_iber

; AOR Thrace
            recruit "aor thrace infantry custom"            4  requires not factions  { greek_cities, macedon, seleucid, egypt, } and hidden_resource aor_dacia
            recruit "aor thrace slinger custom"             4  requires hidden_resource aor_dacia
            recruit "aor thrace heavy cavalry custom"       4  requires hidden_resource aor_dacia
            recruit "aor thrace light cavalry custom"       4  requires hidden_resource aor_dacia

; Illyrian AOR
            recruit "slave illyrian"               4  requires hidden_resource aor_illyr
            recruit "aor illyria slinger custom"    4  requires hidden_resource aor_illyr
            recruit "aor illyria skirmisher custom" 4  requires hidden_resource aor_illyr
            recruit "aor illyria spearmen custom"   4  requires hidden_resource aor_illyr

; Celtic AOR
            recruit "slave briton slinger"     4  requires not factions  { romans_scipii, } and hidden_resource aor_brit
            recruit "slave briton warband"     4  requires not factions  { romans_scipii, } and hidden_resource aor_brit
            recruit "slave briton swordsmen"   4  requires not factions  { romans_scipii, } and hidden_resource aor_brit
            recruit "barb chariot heavy slave" 4  requires not factions  { romans_scipii, } and hidden_resource aor_brit

; Scythian AOR
                    recruit "slave horse archers"               4  requires hidden_resource aor_scyth
                    recruit "aor sarmatia heavy cavalry custom" 4  requires hidden_resource aor_scyth

; Punic AOR
            recruit "aor punic spearmen custom"           2  requires not factions { carthage, } and hidden_resource aor_punic
            recruit "aor punic pikemen custom"           2  requires not factions { egyptian, } and hidden_resource aor_punic
                    recruit "aor numidia punic light cavalry custom"   4  requires not factions { romans_julii, } and hidden_resource aor_punic
            recruit "slave punic heavy cavalry"                4  requires hidden_resource aor_punic

; Numidian AOR
            recruit "aor numidia skirmisher custom"          4  requires not factions { carthage, } and hidden_resource aor_numid
                    recruit "aor numidia spearmen custom"              4  requires not factions { carthage, } and hidden_resource aor_numid
                    recruit "aor numidia punic light cavalry custom"   4  requires not factions { romans_julii, } and hidden_resource aor_numid

; Greek
                    recruit "aor macedon phalanx custom"        4  requires hidden_resource aor_mace
            recruit "slave illyrian"                       4  requires hidden_resource aor_mace
            recruit "slave rhodian slingers"        4  requires hidden_resource aor_mace
            recruit "slave cretan archers"            4  requires hidden_resource aor_mace

recruit "aor greece spearmen custom"        4  requires hidden_resource aor_greek
                    recruit "aor greece skirmisher custom"      4  requires hidden_resource aor_greek
            recruit "slave illyrian"                       4  requires hidden_resource aor_greek
            recruit "slave rhodian slingers"        4  requires hidden_resource aor_greek
            recruit "slave cretan archers"            4  requires hidden_resource aor_greek

;Egyptian AOR
                    recruit "aor egypt archer custom"            4  requires hidden_resource aor_egypt
            recruit "aor egypt spearmen custom"               4  requires hidden_resource aor_egypt
            recruit "slave rhodian slingers"        4  requires hidden_resource aor_egypt
            recruit "slave cretan archers"            4  requires hidden_resource aor_egypt
                }
                construction  99 
                cost  10 
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }

edb enums

paste below trade_name

slaverec_name

paste at end

slave_rec
    slave_rec_desc
    slave_rec_desc_short

export buildings (in data/text)

paste underneath {MTM_temple_of_trade_temple_britons_desc_short}    This Temple is dedicated to     
    Note that the lines above and below may not work properly and may need to be taken from the original patch text file.

¬--------------        

{slave_rec}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_desc}    \n\n\    

{slave_rec_desc_short}    \n\n\    

{slave_rec_roman_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_roman_desc_short}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_barbarian_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_barbarian_desc_short}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_eastern_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_eastern_short}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_carthage_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_carthage_desc_short}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_parthia_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_parthia_short}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_egyptian_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_egyptian_short}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_greek_desc}    \n\n\

{slave_rec_greek_desc_short}    \n\n\

¬--------------
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    1) Cool, thanks! I looked it over, and it appears that the main change you've made is that the units are now normally priced and available only to the slave faction. Is that right, or have I missed something?
    It is right: having slave ownership means that the units will not be recruitable by the AI except in case of revolt, so there is no need to give them huge prices. Credit must be given to the EB team for coming up with this solution, by the way.
    3) Ok. Here's what I've found. I save all kinds of stuff (I have most of the old dev files from RTRPE...why, I don't know)
    Well, I still keep RTR 5.0.

There's also what we're using in the ExRM, which I can post if you'd like.
    Thanks a lot. This last version of the fix is pretty stable, but if the government building gets damaged, there are many chances that a CTD follows. So I will re-add the anti-revolt building to descr_strat and EDB and upload another version of the fix.

Thanks for the text version too. It is going to save me a lot of time.
    Last edited by Salvor Hardin; January 13, 2009 at 07:43 AM.

I see, thanks. One question, though: what if it revolts to a faction? I thought this fix was designed to allow a settlement that revolts from non-slave faction A to non-slave faction B to still have units to recruit.

RTR 5? Wow.

I'm glad I could help!

Default Re: CTD Fix version 2-updated

Hi so I am new to these parts, played a bunch of RTR a while back and then decided to give it a go again a few days ago and have been pretty hooked. I am playing as the Romans, it is now 184 BC and I am in the middle of an all out slug fest with the Selucids. I have the entire western Mediterranean minus Iberia and they have everything else. To compete I have resorted to raiding and burning all of their costal cities. When done I just let them revolt back. Currently I have 4 or 5 cities that are left with no troops in them to revolt.

At the end of the turn I was having CTD issues so I tryed using this fix. I got through the next turn and 2 of the cities revolted to rebels, but now all of my units have the same picture associated with them, namely the peasants of RTW.

Two things, A- how can i tell which version of RTRPE I have?
    B- Is this CTD associated with them revolting to another empire or just becoming rebels in general?
    C- How can I get the old unit pictures back?

ok so three things.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    -Scunge

The peasants of RTW are a generic card that appears whenever the game can not find the proper card for a unit. I was under the impression that Salvor fixed this in the updated version. I guess not, unless you`ve downloaded this long time ago instead of just now.

A - you can`t. Not by looking at some number or such.
    B - it`s mainly supposed to work in case of the loyalist revolts(city revolting to another faction)
    C - those all of your units you`re referring to are probably just a single unit for each faction that is used to cure the ctd. Not all the units in your roster and in the merc pools. If you`re decent with modding you can copy the cards of those units in the slaves folders iirc. Alternatively wait for Salvor to fix it.

Welcome to the boards!

All of your units? That's odd. Seriously, all of them? The revolt CTD fix shouldn't have that effect.

You should be able to tell what version it is from one of the splash screens.

Hey, thanks for the welcome wishes, also, great job with RTR, it is by far the most addicting strategy game I have ever played, especially once you get an empire going.

Anyway, so the scoop is that in my campaign, land unit cards for all factions have been changed. I tried doing a couple of rudimentary tests and have determined that I have the no mod switch version (trying to do a custom battle with the mod switch version crashes the game.) Also the problem with the unit card is not reflected with the units themselves on the battlefield. IE their card is still wrong but the correct units actually appear on the battlefield.

Also, family members, spies, assassins, diplomats, and navy units are unaffected by the card issue.

AS for manually changing out the cards, how do I go about doing that/ where can they be found?

Thanks
    scunge

Can you post a picture of your recruitment line? I find it hard to believe all land units lost their cards all of a sudden. I can`t see what from the patch could have done that. The only units the patch changes are the revolt units. I.e. a single unit for each faction.

ALL of my cities must be in revolt then! If the peasant card is a default one, I am guessing that I must have by accident deleted the folder containing the rest of the cards when I tried to apply the new files.

Any thoughts on how to fox this? Reinstall?

Ill post a picture soon.

-scunge

Oh, dear. That could be. I don't see how you could have deleted that directory, though.

Wait a second, did you install the wrong version of the CTD fix? That would do it, I'll bet.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    For the record, and this is shameless self-promotion (ok, maybe a little shame--I did put spoiler tags on it), the ExRM already has the revolt CTD fixes incorporated. (Admittedly, there's also a CTD bug in the most recent version {3.4.1} if you right-click on high-level Greek or Epirote barracks, but that's a fairly minor problem and easy to avoid unless you really like playing Epirus or Greece and want to right-click on the barracks.)

I have no idea which one I have, so I tried installing both versions of the CTD fix. Neither one worked, but the game ran in both cases, so I am not really sure what that would mean.

That's definitely not recommended. I have no idea what installing both will do.

I recommend reinstalling at this point. You may have overwritten something important. Make sure to note which version you install and download the correct CTD fix for it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast