Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Crassus/Scipio

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Crassus/Scipio

This law was overcomplicated from it's inception. I regret introducing it into the Curia. I want it to be known that I will not support this motion, and I, as Quaestor and financial advisor to the Senate, wish it to be known that this is not in the best interests of the Roman treasury.

OOC: There has been no financial report since I can't access the save.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post
    ooc: It isn't specific enough. We can't leave the percentages open ended to be decided upon when the law is put into effect.
    OOC: I really don't see why not.

Also, from a technical standpoint, we are over complicating things. Is anyone actually going to calculate a percentage amount to keep track of? Probably not. I don't think a law like this will be able to be applied to the game.
    Well it's not like it is calculus so people might have a huge problem with it, but I accept that calculating numbers would turn what is supposed to be a game into a boring job.

However, it is not like someone will have to calculate all the numbers, that's why we have Excel . I just made a very simple Excel sheet that makes the whole process extremely simple. It only requires that you type the season's income and it gives you the totals, very simple stuff...

I think this could work in a similar way as the save does, except with an Excel sheet that Quaestor's would use to keep track, and upload once their term is done so the new Quaestor can do his job (plus the fact there shouldn't be any compatibility issues as it has happened with the game's save).

Here it is if you want to take a look (it's for Office 2003 in case someone doesn't have Office 2007).

On a more personal note, I think this might sound like I am even complicating this more than before, adding a new file to pass, but I think it would really add more realism to the whole role of Quaestorship, and would make it a little less boring than opening the game only to upload a picture, or selecting buildings to construct, by giving an extra little responsibility to them.

Anyways, if you guys still don't like, then let's just drop it and move on, but I really think it would be an interesting thing to try out to "spice" the game a little.
    Last edited by Ozy; January 03, 2009 at 01:32 PM.

Marcus sighed, seeing all this arguing that slowed down everything.

Senators!
    I hear from many voices that this plan would be to complicated, therefore I propose the following: When we have had the Quaestor report, we can choose a certain amount we cannot go under.
    I shall give an example: If we have ten thousand dinarii income per turn, we should decide never to go under five thousand dinarii!

If our treasury grows, we could add a new limit! Then being ten thousand dinarii, or twenty!
    In times of war, or urgent needs, this limit can be forgotten for a certain amount of time, after the Senate has decided so!

I think this would be a very good solution, nor is it complicated, nor shall we lose money.
    I will have a see to it gladly in my term as a Quaestor next consulate, if you, my fellow Senators, will ellect me!

OOC: yael, it is indeed a good way to make that office more important and different, but apparently a lot of people here don't want that....
    OOC2: I do the same thing mentioned above in my campaigns, I have experienced it to work very well.
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Senators, I cannot support this plan at all. It seems to me you are trying to find a mathematical equation for what is simply sensible and prudent spending.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Consul Caius Flavius Crassus, I do not see why you call my plan a complicated mathimatical equation?
    It is very simple and will make sure that we have a reserve to fall back on if needed.

Also, about the Carthaginian matter, how far is the legion in its retraining?
    We should move fast to conquer the islands before they are stronger fortified!
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Rising from his seat, Caius draws a gladius from his belt. He walks into the middle of the senate hall.

Senators, I wish you all luck.

Pointing the sword at his bowels, Caius plunges the gladius into his gut. Although not dea, it is clear the Senator is close to death.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Marcellus, not paying attention, only looks up at the gasp from the other Senators. When he sees whats going on, he rushes from his seat, and tries to break through the Senators surrounding the dying man. He can see he is still alive, but life is leaking quickly from him.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

With his last dying break Scipio looks up at the men surrounding him.

Don't let the parties destroy you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345