Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Crassus/Scipio

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Crassus/Scipio

An excellent plan, Saturninus. The islands are too small to warrant a proconsulate but they can hardly be considered part of Italia. I would give my support to such a plan, as well as the size of the garrison to be stationed there.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Of course, we can establish a law for that after the actual conquest. We should also determine the type of administration there after the conquest because then we can base it on the people's attitude to our being there.

Of course. But it is always beneficial to have a strategy, it can always be adapted later.

Yes, lesser units such as Rorarii or hastati would make ideal garrison troops, and I imagine that down the line we may even recruit local levies to aid in both defense and keeping public order up. I believe that making these islands Romanized Provinces would optimize their economic productivity.

I am also for the creation of a propraetorship for these two new territories. An able and organized administrative branch should be established. As they are isolated by the ocean it will be more than necessary to keep a strong hold on these holding administratively speaking. These islands have the potential to bring in new wealth to Rome if we handle it correctly.

I support the idea of Senator Saturninus as well, it seems like the best option.

I would also like to bring to topic an old proposition I made during my term as Quaestor, that was forgotten as other topics took the Senate's attention. I am speaking about the creation of a Monetary Reserve for the Republic.
    I present you the proposition again, as submitted at the beginning of the previous term,

I) A small part of the income of every season shall be put apart from the rest of the money, and saved.
    II) In case the Republic is in need of extra money, this reserve could be spent, after being discussed in the senate, and used to boost the economy once more.
    III) Were the economy too weak, the saving could be stopped for a number of seasons until the economy finds itself in a better position.
    IV) The Quaestor should be in charge of keeping track of the reserve and the amount of money that it contains, and making sure that money from it is not taken without any authorization.

The quantity of money to be saved every season is to be discussed, it could either be a fixed quantity (say, 1000 mnaii per season), or a percentage of the current seasons income (say, 5% of the income of the season).
    Of course we cannot know much about how feasible the proposition would be until the new Quaestor brings his report, but I believe, considering the last terms final report, that it would still be a good idea to aid Roma in case of danger or crisis.

OOC: Am I the only one who is aging his character as the terms pass?
    Last edited by Ozy; December 29, 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Senator Herrenius, I believe that this is an excellent idea, if indeed it can be carried out. It would be an excellent defence mechanism against sudden financial disaster. But, we shall have to see the feasibility of such a system. Let us speak with the Quaestor, when he arrives.

OOC: I do it as well.

OOC: yeah me too, i'm 29 now, 30 next term
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Decimus has been listening intently, wearing the finest toga money can buy he stands...

I agree with the proposal of creating a monetary reserve. It is very smart economically, however in additon to what has already been proposed there should be a cap to the amount saved total. If our economy is doing especially well and our reserve grows to 100 000 mnai, a random number admittedly but it serves the point, then we should obviously stop putting money towards the reserve. To make the point... let us put a CAP to the total amount the reserve can have.

Decimus clears his throat...

As far as the Punic Isles, I would rather see them incorporated into Rome. The way our economic system is set up, if you create a propreatorship we will have the headache of deciding how much money to allot for 2 rather insignificant islands, we would also need a governor and so on; it becomes rather complicated. If they are simply included with Rome, however, we will then have 2 potentially rich trading islands and whatever economic boost that may give us.

That is all I have to say.
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Well, Caeso Decimus, that is why they will be a propraetorship and not a proconsulate. Since it is not a region where money will need to be spent regularly, any investments there will come on the basis of a decision directly from Rome anyway. And remember, ours is hardly a vast empire. In the future, perhaps they could be assimilated into a larger region under a propraetorship or even a proconsulate, but for the time being, a propraetor seems ideal to manage them. If we remain at war with Carthage, we will have to be wary that they do not try to reclaim them, and if we make them a part of Italia, they will become obscure and neglected due to the barrier of the sea.

I agree with Crassus, organizational of a propraetorship would allow more or less for senatorial control anyway, additionally, money should only be spent on a need basis in these provinces anyway. Initially it may be necessary to allot a substantial amount of funds to invest in the economic progress of the islands. Among the top priorities should be expanding the ports and markets.

I cannot say with such limited information, Scipio, but I would wager that the islands at this time are too small to warrant any serious investment. But clearly, in the future they are well-situated to become important in trade and as a naval base.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I am sorry gentlemen, for my absence. I have been at the treasury organising the report which I must give at the beginning of my term. Unfortunatly, it will not be ready for a day or so, but I can promise you we are in a sound financial position.

Regarding the reserve. I propose a cap on spending, say 3,000 mnai, and the rest is put into the reserve. By creating this reserve, I hope that spending on military, and civilian, improvements is not discouraged, seeing as it was one of my, and many others, main campaigning promises. I hope we can come to an agreement about this.

I also want to say that however the Punic Isles are organised, we should not be afraid to spend money on improvements there. The treasury is in a healthy position, as you will soon see for yourselves, and we can afford it. We should not let unreserved funds linger for too long in the treasury, it is doing no one any use there.

OOC: i cannot give the report right now, as I am not at my computer (staying with some family), but, I will be later today, so you can expect it by this evening.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I would not support any cap on spending. The Senate will always be frugal and not waste money needlessly, and we cannot foresee, particularly as our empire expands, how much money we may need to be spending.

Citizen

If a portion of the Senate's income is always put aside for reservation, this is effectively a cap on spending.

The reserve fund is specifically for the unforseen, so that we have enough money to deal with any emergency that comes our way. If you do not want a nominal cap, how about a per centage one instead? That 25% of income in a season is set aside, and we may only spend 75%?

Of course, during times of crises, spending will be increased, to cover increased costs, and these measures should only act as guidelines, instead of hard and fast laws. The point being that we can quickly respond to emerging crises, and not have to call a lengthy and time consuming vote in the Senate.

Therefore, I propose a new law to the consuls, the Pecunian Laws, to increase regulation in spending.

1. An XX% of income in a season shall be set aside, to act as an emergency fund in the treasury. This fund will not exceed XXXX denarii.

2. Consuls can change the % due to this reserve, without consultation with the Senate. Both Consuls must be in agreement about this.

3. This fund can be used to hire mercenaries, raise legions, repair defences, or aid in the preservation of the Republic in anyway needed, and that which cannot be supplied by the normal treasury.

4. The Quaestor or Praetor can call the Consuls to answer questions about the change in the % rate paid to the reserve, or the allocation of emergency funds. They can then call an extraordinary vote of the Senate, judging the Consuls on their actions. If found guilty of irreverance, jeopardising the Republic and endangering it's principles, both Consuls can be impeached.

I invite Senators to add to this, or argue points of contention, and I recognise that this is only the first draft of a very powerful and far reaching piece of legislation, which I do not think should be passed without extensive debate.
    Last edited by Junius; December 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Crassus, you better be off. The results of the vote are that you take command. Bonus fortuna.

The Optimate voting bloc has worked its magic I see. Surprising to see that they would have me stay in Rome. I control the floor and my guess is that I will be exercising a consular veto or two before long.

Citizen

OOC: I thought the vote was going on until tomorrow at least, I saw a Dec 31 4PM close time for it, I think.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Marcus Manlius rises from his place, turning directly to the Consul

Consul Caius Scipio, You may be surprised by seeing me talking to you, for I am new to the Senate house!
    But I saw your surprised look, and I know that you expected to be sent away on campaign, so that you wouldn't stand in the way of the Optimates.

But maybe they have chosen Crassus, to show that there are no parties, only Romans!
    They want to show that it is a battle not of Optimates against Populares, but of Romans against Carthaginians!

I hope that everyone, Optimate or Populare, will understand this, and form one Roman block, towards the men of Carthago!

I hope you too, Consul.

Marcus Manlius sits down again, not feeling very well for taking the word amongst these men, who are no soldiers but Senatores.
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

That is definitely a most important piece of legislation for the Republic, dear Quaestor. On the third point, I believe we should add something about the fact that only a magistrate elected by the people or appointed by the Senate in the time of crisis, should be able to access those funds. Otherwise, as our Republic expands, governors may delve into those funds just to fight some petty rebels, a fight which could be easily financed by the normal treasury. For a law of such importance, precision is undoubtedly required.

Scipio stared at Marcus. Had my emotions been that clear? Furthermore who is this man? Still, Caius wouldn't even want to acknowledge the existence of the optimates for fear of incurring their collective hate. Still, he wouldn't be caught drinking with half of them.

Marcus, I am not offended that I was not chosen. I will remain and defend Rome and if need be the north. It is an honor to preside over the senate as in my last term I spent a year and a half abroad anyway. I will enjoy this opportunity to hone my administrative skills.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast