Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Crassus/Scipio

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Crassus/Scipio

No time to waste, I'm off to Sicilia. Farewell Senators, may Fortune be with you all!

OoC: I think there should be two Tribunes.

ooc: And last term we had two praetors I think? But seeing as the Trib hasn't been used much, it might not really matter.

Oppius settles in the senator's seats, no longer in a position and no longer needing to worry about handling the republic. He calmly awaits the opening of the term.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

OoC: That's because only one person ran for Praetor. Two people ran for Tribune and the Constitution allows for two Tribunes. It would unfair to change that all of the sudden.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Gaius enters the Cvria and goes to his seat.He sits down and starts thinking of the current consulate,thinking that now will come be the turning point in his life.

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus walks silently into the Curia, leading a rather tall muscular man. Military just by the looks of it. Before Saturninus sits in his consular seat, he leads the man to one of the benches for the common senators. Then standing beside him, Saturninus speaks:

Conscript Fathers, I am most happy to introduce to you the son of a good friend of mine, who, after his service in the army, has decided to take up a political career. He, Marcus Manlius, served in the northern wars in the army of Gaius Marius Scipio, and a man of true Roman patriotism. Due to amicitia, I have agreed to be his patron as he enters senatorial life. I hope you all shall get to know him and wish that he has a most successful career here in Rome.

Saturninus returns to his correct seat and sits, waiting for the term's proceedings to begin.

Crassus stands to speak.
    rd
    "Congratulations to all who were victorious in the elections. May this term be one which strengthens Rome and weakens her enemies.

Now, we must get to matters at hand. Has the southern legion reached Capua yet?
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Caius enters the Curia, and even though he has won the election, he is annoyed by the fact that the optimate voting bloc had taken control of every position in the senate. No doubt he would be exercising his consular veto many a time in this term.

Let's begin planning immediately. I request that the quaestor send a report of the financial position of the republic.

Additionally, Lepidus' illness has left him unable to send reports of the situation in Sicily. What has he done with the money allotted to him? Is he recruiting soldiers? I request that the proconsul send a report of the position of Sicily to give the senate an idea of what is going on there.

Caius hadn't heard any news from Lepidus in many months. Could it be that the one man who had remained true to him and been a political ally was dying in some corner of the Republic? Caius remained as the last surviving member of the old friendship that once existed and made Rome strong, but one by one Falco and then Lepidus had fallen by the wayside.

Caius sighed

And once that has been straightened out, we must decide which of us is to lead the expedition into the Punic Strongholds.

As if I can't predict who will be sent already. Either way they will send the optimate champion to glorify their own party. The only reason they would send me would be to get me out of the way so they could push their own agenda in Rome and either hope for me to fail or be killed.

Punic strongholds? Did the invasion of Africa somehow get past me in the Curia? There are barely any defences in Corsica, it's a very simple and easy mission.

Punic Isles, Crassus.

I know where we are invading. And the defences are inadequate to offer any serious resistance.

I suppose then, it must be decided who will lead the expedition.

Comrade, you have just restated what I have. Don't play stupid and then pretend as if you didn't.

Caius was confused at Crassus' actions, what game was he playing...

Crassus looked bemusedly at Scipio. He had neither wanted nor expected the two old rivals to come to blows so early on in his term.

"I am offering you the opportunity to stake your claim to the command, Consul. If you do not want to go, I will happily lead the expedition. It is only a light task."

So they would opt to get me out of Rome

If the Senate, in their wisdom, deems it wise to send me, I shall not refuse. It would be an honor to lead the legions to victory once again under the banner of the SPQR. It is no secret that I have been militarily successful in the past, and this experience will be no different.

Caius cast glances at several senators.

Very well. Personally, if I feel I am to perform my duties as Consul, I think I should get into the field. It has been some time since I have commanded troops, and I think this little excursion should prove perfect for getting up to speed.

I have not let Rome down before, and I shall not now. Very well, Scipio, let the house decide. Shall I call a vote?

Yes comrade, that would be the most appropriate action.

Manlius looked around, sitting in his Senatorial chair. He looked as he felt: uncomfortably.
    He was used to the army camps, army life. He was new to all these fine men, clean togas.
    He remained silent, not as you would expect by the look of him.
    He searched around and tried to discover who the wise men were here, who the leaders, who the followers, who the brave and who the cowardly men were.
    He would surely learn a lot this year...
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

OOC: You'd better do it, since I can't sticky threads.

ooc: Ok, oh, and you need to update your sig.

Well, while that vote is resolved, let us turn to other matters. Our economic developments are perhaps the next most important task, so let us hope the Quaestor delivers his report soon.

I might venture a discussion which has not been spoken of much. Namely, what will becoming of the so-called Punic Isles when we have taken them? What will we do with the soldiers that have taken the islands, will we maintain a garrison there, what system of government shall we put in place there, and how would the region be developed to best suit the interests of Rome?

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

My personal preference is for them to be put under a propraetorship. This would enable praetors to have a province to go to after their term, which would further enhance their organisation and administration abilities which they will need if they wish to take up the consulship. We must not make the same mistake that Carthage has made in leaving them relatively undefended. Walls must be built, and a small but strong garrison should be left. It is not too far from Italia, so support should not take long to reach there if attacked, but I say perhaps a garrison of two or three Roman units would be able maintain public order, and to defend against excursions against the islands.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast