Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Napoleonic era maritime fiction

Books,history and maritime matters has allways been my love and these great authors blend them in one great package.
    First C. S Forester and his Hornblower books.How he makes Hornblowers and his shipmates characters alive,with humour and humanism.Thoroughly researched details of sailing ships,warfare and nautical life make these books also good source for amateur historian and armchair Captain.
    Action scenes are well written and you can read these books like thriller but there is allways more that makes you think how people comes heroes or cowards.
    I made some quick googling and found these links about C.S Forester and Hornblower
    C S Forester society
    Horatians org

Patrick O`Brian is another author whose books you had to read.I think most people in these forums know the movie "Master and commander",Starring Russell Crowe.Patrick O`Brian is the man who created characters of Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin.
    In these books i like most that Aubrey and Maturin are both some kind of "Renaissance man".Aubrey is warrior and seafarer but still interested about arts and Maturin is wonderfully complex character.Dialogue is rich and full of humour.
    And again,historical and technical facts are thoroughly researched.
    Links about Patrick O`Brian
    Patrick O`Brian web resources
    The Patrick O'Brian Compendium
    The world of Patrick O`Brian

So,you old and new salts.Do you got something to comment

I agree with you about maritime Napoleonic fiction, I've been reading the stuff since I was 7. Could I add to your list the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent, the Ramage books by Dudley Pope and Nathaniel Drinkwater series by Richard Woodman all of which I thoroughly recommend to all those who enjoy this sort of book.

JMF

P.S. I'd love to join the book club in principle but the only reading I'm going to be doing this next year will be academic history books, so Idon't think I'll get much time. If you happen to be reading something I've already read I'd be delighted to join the discussion.

Alexander Kent!!!! How can i forget Captain Bolitho.They are good books also but in my opinion Forester and O`Brian are in their own class.
    I think that Alexander Kent writes more action-oriented stories.If i remember right his real name is Douglas Reeman,mostly known for his WW2 sea books.
    I got couple of Dudley Pope books in my bookshelf but i dont have read them yet.

Strange thing happened,my last reply in this topic did not show in first page of forum and it not show in replies count.Some kind of tech problem???
    Now i must call helpdesk :w00t

If i remember right his real name is Douglas Reeman,mostly known for his WW2 sea books.
    Yes stalhandske Kent is also Douglas Reeman. I've just about got the complete set of his books on my shelves. All his books under that name are WW2 of some description or other and all can be read as stand alone novels rather than part of a series.

Another author I only came across recently is Julian Stockwin who seems to have taken the old Napoleonic Naval idea but instead of writing from the point of view of the officers and the quater deck bases his books on the life of a pressed seaman called Thomas Kydd (here's a link). I only have one at the moment (Kydd) but I know there is another in circulation.

Yes I agree that both Forester and O'Brien are in a class of their own, although I prefer Forester generally.
    Just as a small side point Napoleonic Naval affairs have always been something of a hobby so I have quite a few books on the subject. Forester's biography of Horatio Lord Nelson is also worth picking up if your interested.

JMF

Here is a LIST of nautical fiction
    *OD*

A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambitions."
    - Marcus Aurelius

<span style='color:red'>El Siblesz es mi patrón</span>

Check out TWC's new Historic Arts and Literature Subforum

And here is link list to ALL maritime matters

The Mother of all maritime links

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I would recommend Bernard Cornwell&#39;s "Sharpe&#39;s Trafalgar" and "Sharpe&#39;s Devil". The Sharpe series is mainly about infantry combat, but both of those books contain great naval battles.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

I&#39;ve read a very good book, not exactly Napoleonic, some 100 years before the French Revolution, but still, an Excellent book. It&#39;s called The Monsoon, written by Wilbur Smith. Romance and adventure, or sex and violenece. Great book.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

I would recommend Bernard Cornwell&#39;s "Sharpe&#39;s Trafalgar" and "Sharpe&#39;s Devil". The Sharpe series is mainly about infantry combat, but both of those books contain great naval battles.
    Cornwell&#39;s books are pretty good, although I must admit I prefer the earlier &#39;Sharpe&#39; books as the later ones tend to all be fairly similar.

Now i have read couple of Cornwells Sharpe series and they really are good and entertaining books.

Civitate

Woohoo&#33;&#33; Patrick O&#39;Brian&#33; Im on Book 6 now, The Fortune of War. They just keep getting better : .

Default Re: Napoleonic era maritime fiction

digging up a really old topic I guess... I just started reading O'Brian (I'm going in order and I'm halfway through Master and Commander) and so far I'm really liking him; very vivid and I can actually imagine and picture what's going on. I am quite pleased.

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Lt. Hornblower. I heard it was pretty good. Assuming that's the book title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Julian Stockwyn is fairly good.

Maybe try Simon Scarrow's Revolution Series?

There's two more books in the series. I own the first two but I've never read them. I've read Simon Scarrow's "Eagle" series and they were pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Leo View Post
    Maybe try Simon Scarrow's Revolution Series?
    There's two more books in the series. I own the first two but I've never read them. I've read Simon Scarrow's "Eagle" series and they were pretty decent.
    They're very good. A couple of leagues above the Eagle series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ter View Post
    They're very good. A couple of leagues above the Eagle series.
    But are those really maritime? They look awfully army related.

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

999th post

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfenrir View Post
    But are those really maritime? They look awfully army related.
    They are extremely army related, and probably shouldn't be here. They're Napoleonic anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast