Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Download] v2.1 Release!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon7 [Download] v2.1 Release!

InstallationHere it is:Rapidshare | Megaupload

It's self-extracting 7-zip file. Uncompress and copy it over RTRPE mod-switch directory.

Have RTW-Alexander installed, and edit RTRPE shortcuts to be like:
    Code:
    "...\RomeTW-ALX.exe" .... -mod:RTRPE -noalexander
    Just add the red part. And remember to run RTRPE\campaign_map_reset.bat to remove the map.rwm file. Old saved games are not compatible.

Changes from v2.0 beta:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    • Initial campaign changes by script. AI gets more money, buildings, and populations, while players get tough diplomatic situation.
    • Slightly smaller size for your general units. It should give you a better reason to hire some expensive cavalry
    • Better ranks in auto-resolved battle for heavy horse archers
    • -1 attack slingers; Unified attack for archers
    • +1 shield for phalanx units so it fits the shield size and quality. +1 armour for mail
    • More bonus for AI family members:
      1. Command +2, Management +2, Law +2 (10% happiness), Unrest -4 (20% happiness).
      2. Battle recovery rate +20%, Command +9 against rebels
      3. Mining income +25%, Trading income +25%, Tax income +50%
      4. Construction cost -40%, Unit cost -20%
      5. Bodyguard +2 experiences plus incrased size and more HP for generals

Added units:

Daai Eugeneis Hippeis (Dahae Nobles)
    AOR heavy horse archer available in parthian's homeland in barracks (not stables)

Iberiai Machairophoroi (Georgian Swordsmen)

Features

Player's GuideThere is a background script which you'd be prompted to activate when you start a new campaign. You must activate it to have 4-turns-per-year and money help for AI factions.

If you load a previously-saved campaign, remember to activate it immediately after loading by clicking any of your settlements and then the "show me how" button.

If you start a campaign and then quit to the main menu, DON'T, ever, start a new campaign again from there. You must restart RTW so the script wouldn't mess up.

Now, for the real game playing tips, read this

Issues
    • Mod CTDs should not occur. But it's still possible for RTW to crash for no reason and no error message, so you are strongly adviced to save every turn and before battle or occupying settlements

• Civilized barbarian units are not finished and it has to be stopped here now. No work could be done until FOE is released, because the next version (if there is) will be based on both of RTRPE and FOE, so the barbarians will probably be completely changed.

• Marian reform is disabled for romans. Because the reform happened too late in history and it involved too many things. If there are legionaries, there must also be a very large set of roman auxiliary units, so I'd only add back legionaries after I find or make all these things.

• There is no built-in music. Why? Because I change music mod/album everytime I play it. So if I have to include some music, it'd be several GBs in size! See the guide if you want to include music from other mods

• No new loading screen yet. You could help if you want some But anyway, my screen always turns black when it loads due to driver problem, so ......

CreditsYou're free to use anything from my mod, provided that you give proper credits to those who have contributed. Note that some elements such as the new Iberian units in my mod are borrowed from other mods, and you'd need to ask the original modders if you want to use them.

For details of contributions from other mods/modders, see this topic
    If you need the original texture files of my units in psd format, download this => RTRPE-aqd-2.1.psd.exe (self-extracting 7-zip)
    Last edited by AqD; June 01, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: [Download] v2.0 Beta!

This is awesome! Congratulations on this release!

Excellent stuff. Some of the very best units I've ever seen and I'll download the mod immediately.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Thanks! I just updated the post with a pic and some more information Have fun!

Nice work downloading now.

I agree with regards to the music, there's no need to vastly balloon the download size for the sake of music which is invariably nowhere near as good as the default RTW music.
    "If we didn't have cruxifixion, this country'd be in a right bloody mess"

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Has anyone started to play it? Give me some comment please! Criticisms are very welcome

Is it too difficult or too easy? Anything I need to fix?

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Gonna download this immediately. Great work

downloading

I have played a little bit with both Pontus and Armenia in campaign. While I haven't really done many real-time battles, the balance system seems much better than before. The combat it self is much more realistic than I expected. Again, I have only played a little, so can't say too much besides that.

EDIT: The units are beautiful!

The Colonel's Avatar Biarchus

In the thracian unit thing, you said that the units were removed until you fixed them, when are we gonna be able to see them in? My apologies if they are already there, im downloading right now. Awesome units btw, I love the gloss shiny effect on them, and the hi-res is amazing. A differnt site to download from would be appreciated, rapidshare always gives me horrid speeds.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Units are top-notch.

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

I may have to put Rome Total War: Alexander on top of my to get list, so I can give this mod a try.

Congrats on the release!

aqd, you've kept me waiting for those Thracian units for almost a year now. I finally got them.

I think I screwed up the install. I can load the campaign but I can't load a custom battle. It takes me back to the faction screen. What did I screw up?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Uh, did you forget to remove map.rwm?

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    In the thracian unit thing, you said that the units were removed until you fixed them, when are we gonna be able to see them in? My apologies if they are already there, im downloading right now.
    The units are still available in custom battles. But by "fix" I mean to completely redesign units of the same classes, so it won't happen very soon

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    Awesome units btw, I love the gloss shiny effect on them, and the hi-res is amazing. A differnt site to download from would be appreciated, rapidshare always gives me horrid speeds.
    What other download site would you want? megaupload or?
    Last edited by AqD; December 30, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

If the problem is speed, moddb could work, though I have never uploaded anything there.

going to have a look. the last testing one was really good.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I'm thinking of giving more bonus to AI to make it as aggressive as in RTR despite of various changes... The players should be the only ones who feel difficulty of the new environment

Here is the traits I'm going to add for AI generals:
    1. Command +2, Management +2 (old bonus)
    2. Law +2 (+10% happiness), Unrest -2 (+10% happiness).
    3. Battle recovery rate +20%, Command +9 against rebels
    4. Mining income +25%, Trading income +25%, Tax income +50%
    5. Construction cost -40%, Unit cost -20%

It seems to make a big difference. For instance, the treasury of AI seleucid at the end of first turn increased from zero to 30k+ denarii. I still need to make more tests through, in this weekend hopefully...

What do you think of this?
    Last edited by AqD; December 30, 2008 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aqd View Post
    What do you think of this?
    Giving the AI more money is the lesser of two evils. I say go for it. On a broader note, nothing makes me want to give up and start a new campaign more than expanding too easily - (this is in general and not aimed as a criticism to this mod or any other just a general thing) I am always disappointed when every settlement I see has about 3 units defending it and no AI army or fort is in sight. I don't mind if I have won a decisive battle and the settlement is there for the taking - and some settlements can be overrun easily that's no problem - but too many easy conquests spoils the game imo so I am all for giving the AI money.

Personally I would like to see scripted fort placement, scripted army creation and garrisoning. The underlying controlling elements are the keys to deciding this (I'll just make an automata to compute them then get back to you )

I played a simply awesome Medieval 2 mod called Broken Crescent that had a great garrison script, so you knew any seige you made would be a tough battle (an army spawned inside the city when you beseiged it thereby making up for retarded AI garrisoning) - and it encouraged you to starve the enemy out. That slowed the pace of expansion down very nicely. Tsarsies also made a garrison script for Stainless Steel which did something similar - it really made you think twice about beseiging a town.

Despite all this as well as the supply traits I still always managed to utterly dominate - my conclusion is that given "breathing space" the human player will always dominate so the key is to combine the sort of recruitment/upkeep and public order limitations you see in RTR and RTR-ExRM with AI cash bonuses AND AI aggression. Of course there must also be a reward for winning decisive battles - allowing the player to push home an advantage.

Think of Darius raising troops to stop Alexander or Rome raising large numbers of soldiers in a great panic to try to stop Hannibal.

I would say money and army spawn bonuses for the AI when it loses smaller battles inside it's own provinces and any battles outside of it's own provinces THEN once the faction loses maybe 2 large battles within it's own province and it's resulting total military force is below a certain threshold all assistance is turned off for 5 turns - i.e. the faction has been brought to it's knees for a short period.
    "If we didn't have cruxifixion, this country'd be in a right bloody mess"

Well may be a good chance but remember that the player troops still costs alot and recruiting new ones to face even bigger treat from AI may turn to be impossible at a certain point.
    Well need a test and I would like to have it a go as you are really amazing me AQD.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast