Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods for Oblivion

Default Mods for Oblivion

Sorry for spamming this forum but I have searched through it thoroughly and did not find what I was looking for.

The title says it all basically, I have played lots of Oblivion but only 100% unmodded. Now I am looking for the best mods I can find to play it again, restart it all and have some fun. I also got a new computer recently so some graphics upgrades would be cool.

I am mainly searching for the following:

1) General overhauls: I've heard of OOO which seems to be a great improvement and also of FCOM (sp?) which seems to consist of OOO and some other major mods. OOO mainly improves the leveling system and changes the whole way the game is played from what I've heard. Should I get it? Any other overhaul mods available? How about "FCOM"?

2) Improved graphics: anything such as better water, better textures, better skies, improved faces, better weapons, new skins etc etc. Of course not 100% necessary but it would be sweet. My computer should be able to handle most things.

3) New content: things such as new weapons, new monsters, new dungeons, new armor, new villages, new regions, new quests... everything you can think of.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Another important issue is compability - I don't want to search through my Oblivion files for hours searching for conflicts between two mods. Does anyone know of any graphic improvements, new content mods and general overhauls which can be combined without problems? Are those mods compatible with the Shivering Isles expansion? It would be great to know but is not such a huge issue compared to my other questions as I can live without the expansion.

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Mods for Oblivion

I know two that make the cities have more eyecandy and the other that makes the environment absolutely beautiful.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...owtopic=931915 - Better Cities

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...owtopic=891932 - Unique Landscapes

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

1) If you're new to the general overhauls, I'd suggest giving basic OOO a run first, Maybe coupled with MMM (Martigen's Monster Mod) which has OOO-compatible versions. You also have Fran's, but I'm not a big fan of it.
    However if you want the whole shebang, FCOM is the way to go. Installing it however can be a pain in the ass, I suggest closely following Dev_akm's instructions and FiveFrie's cheat sheet. (the 2nd should end you up with a working installation if done correctly , also use BOSS , Wrye Bash and OBMM to make your life lots easier)

2) Dev_akm comes to the rescue again with the TOTO project. Practically every major texture replacer is in there, I strongly suggest Qarl's texture pack 3 (I use the redimized version). It changes all worldtextures in much higher res-versions, truly a work of art.
    On top of that you have texture replacers for weapons, armor, signs, books, potions,...

3) With FCOM you'll have plenty new content already. However there are some very worthwile mods out there. I'm thinking Lost Spires mainly, you also have Alcyabades and several others I've completely forgotten.

There's more, but I've been out of the loop a bit and others can probably give you some more links
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Does FCOM work with graphical mods and environmental mods?
    "Nothing like a nice relaxing stroll on the beach, blasting bad guys with my boomstick."
    - Gunnery Chief Ashley Madeline Williams.

Yep, they affect totally different things and won't overlap. FCOM deals with more equipment,quest,npc etc etc stuff.

Thanks everyone. I am now trying to install FCOM but I'm rather bad with computers and stuff and this seems pretty complicated. Could anyone help me out?

The guide (http://fivefries.googlepages.com/fcominstallationguide) tells me to do a clean install of Oblivion and SI along with the latest patch. I did that and also created a copy of the Oblivion folder (unmodded) just in case.

However, next I was told to install python and some kind of upgrade for python. While I did that (installed it somewhere) I have no idea what it is supposed to do whatsover. I also don't know where I am supposed to install Wrye Bash to. The guide only told me to download and install it - however, it doesn't seem to do much. I just put it into its own folder.

Now, the Wrye Bash guide on their own website tells me that I need to put it into some folder of Oblivion but the download it links me to seems to be a different one than the FCOM guide links me to.

Sorry, I'm just utterly confused and while the step by step guide (cheat sheet) helps it still isn't enough for me. I tried reading more detailed guides but it is just such a lot of information and so hard to understand - whenever you think you understood something the next problem appears.

Any help? What exactly am I supposed to do with that Python thingie? Where do I install Wrye Bash to? How exactly do I use it?

Alright , These are basic instructions. I recommend you still read over the cheat sheet and all just to double check.You should also make all of these OMODS , to do that , install OBMM , go into the mods folder of the OBMM folder , make a new folder naming it for example Oblivion Warcry, dump all the files for Oblivion Warcry in it. Then start OBMM and click on the bottom where it says create. Then type in the information and then click add folder , browse to the folder where you dumped everything in and then hit ok for both and it will be created. Do this will all the files and you won't need an additonal oblivion folder. Oh and to activate OMODs you just double click its icon on the right side of the list.

1.Python just lets Wyre Bash run, you don't do anything with it
    2.Install Wyre Bash to your Oblivion Folder
    3. Download and Install OBMM
    4. Download and install all the main mods used in FCOM and FCOM itself
    5. Go into mopy and launch Wyre Bash
    6. Highlight everything listed and then right click and click mark levelers
    7. Now rightclick on Bashed Patch itself and then rebuild patch
    8. Check where it says Leveled Lists and click ok
    9. Go into your data folder and run BOSS.Bat [Download BOSS off Tesnexus, don't forget to read the description for it, it requires a microsoft plugin]
    10. Go into OBMM and place Bashed Patch at the bottom of your list because sometimes it is placed a couple before
    11. Exit and then try to run it , if it works you did it right

Hope this helps! Oh and if you don't have a Bashed Patch in your Data folder automatically , go into mopy and then extras and copy it into data.
    Last edited by Turkeys!; January 01, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Hm, I ran into new trouble: the cheat sheet tells me to

"Download the patch for MMM 3.6 BETA 2 and update
    Mart's Monster Mod.esm to fix the skeleton issues."

However, the link to the patch leads me to an invalid download link (and I'm not the only one for whom it is invalid according to the comments on the download site). So what can I do about this? Any other place to get the patch from?

I'm talking about this download: http://www.4shared.com/file/59693079...od36b2fix.html

It doesn't work.
    Last edited by Astaroth; January 02, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

There's a beta3 out already. Try if that one works.

Wow, every step confuses me more and more... I am honestly 100% lost. I don't know nor understand what an Omod is, I don't know what the load order is nor how to change/use/do whatever with it, I don't know what I have to convert files to, I don't know where to put all the files, I don't know whether the MMM beta3 is compatible with FCOM (and whether I still need the patch which the cheat sheet links to but which doesn't work), I don't know where to install OBMM to, I don't know how to use it. The list of things which I only think "I have no idea how to do this whatsover" about is endless.

Could anyone just give me a 100% logical, easy, detailed step by step guide which tells me everything in the EXACT right order, which tells me where I have to put everything, where to install the different patches and files to, where I can get everything and so on.

Currently I have done the following:

1) downloaded and installed python and wrye bash but haven't put it into the oblivion folder yet. Do I just download the wrye bash thing (from the link in the cheat sheet) and put it into my oblivion main folder? Or into the data one? Should I do this before everything else? Or doesn't it matter?

2) downloaded OOO and OOO's patch but haven't installed it yet

3) downloaded MMM 3.5.5 and MMM 3.5.5 BETA 5 and MMM 3.6 BETA 2 but haven't installed any of them yet. Unsure where to put them (cheat sheet gives instructions but I have no idea what a plugin is and I'm afraid of messing stuff up). I'm also unsure whether to install BETA 3 as I cannot find the bug fix patch which the cheat sheet asks for (see above).

4) downloaded fran's main package and the add-on package

I think I still need warcry, the FCOM main stuff and bob's armory. But please, a long, detailed, step by step guide that explains it all would be very much appreciated. I've spent hours on searching via google but I'm a total computer noob and don't manage to figure it out.

E.g., don't just say "turn on the computer" but please describe it as in "find the big, round button with a circle and a line on it and press it once" - so you have an idea just how helpless I am.... Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

PS: another problem: here - http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17784 - there are like different parts of the beta3 hosted but I dunno whether I need them all 3. Are they like patches? or just parts 1 2 3? :S
    Last edited by Astaroth; January 02, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

Unfortunately I have exams now and don't have the time to write up something (would have to install it again myself), but if you still haven't got it to work in two weeks I should have some time then.

1)Obmm has to be installed in the Oblivion folder (not Data), likewise with Wrye Bash. When you do this doesn't really matter, but it's easier to do first since especially OBMM makes installing mods easier (via omods which I'll explain later)

omod: omods are essentially zipped files (I think they use the 7zip compression-method). OBMM uses these in order to easily activate and disable different mods. Nowadays most modders create an omod version themselves, or supply an archive-file (rar-file) with conversion info so OBMM can easily create an omod out of the archive.
    Unfortunately some older mods, such as warcry and Bob's last time I checked aren't available in omod, nor is there conversion info. You'll have to make the omod yourself, and usually this is rather easy. The foolproof way is to extract (if necessary) all files of the mod you need to a temporary folder. Look through the files and make sure everything is in the correct folder-structure (no oblivion/data/meshes/, no data/meshes/, but meshes/ for example; depending on the mod you'll then have a temp-folder with esp's and sometimes an esm as loose files, and a meshes, textures, sounds, whatever folder). Some mods have optional esp's or different versions of the same one, it's easiest to delete the unneeded ones now. Otherwise you have to manually deactivate them later.
    Then you just have to choose create an omod in OBMM (button at the bottom) and select choose folder and point it to the temp-folder you made.

2) Don't yet. Try to find an omod version of 1.33 here. Then download the latest beta version (which is still 1.34 beta 5) and make an omod out of it.
    You can also dnl an archive version of 1.33, extract it to a temp folder, and apply the patch to it by extracting it as well. Then create an omod out of the whole package, but you'll have to redo this for every upgrade later on then.

3) disregard beta2, and immediately use beta3. It's easiest to make on omod out of it. Personally I make an omod out of 3.5.5 and 3.5.5 beta 5 together and do not have any optional esp's in this one. And then make a seperate omod out of beta 3 with the optional esp's I'll use, that way it's more easily upgradeable when new versions come out by just disabling the latter one, instead of the entire mod.

btw: plugins usually refers to optional esp's (or sometimes other mods that are needed)

Ask anything and I'll try to answer, but the FCOM thread on bethsoft is probably better informed since Dev_Akm, CorePC,... hang around there and are very helpful (They do expect you to know obmm, wrye bash, obse and so on. Usually you don't immediately begin with FCOM and you'd pick up on these programs and terms by using other mods)

Quote Originally Posted by Maraud View Post
    Unfortunately I have exams now and don't have the time to write up something (would have to install it again myself), but if you still haven't got it to work in two weeks I should have some time then.
    No problem at all, thanks a lot for your help I am pretty optimistic that it will be enough
    1)Obmm has to be installed in the Oblivion folder (not Data), likewise with Wrye Bash. When you do this doesn't really matter, but it's easier to do first since especially OBMM makes installing mods easier (via omods which I'll explain later)
    I see, done. Installed both wrye bash and obmm into the main oblivion folder.
    omod: omods are essentially zipped files (I think they use the 7zip compression-method). OBMM uses these in order to easily activate and disable different mods. Nowadays most modders create an omod version themselves, or supply an archive-file (rar-file) with conversion info so OBMM can easily create an omod out of the archive.
    I see.
    Unfortunately some older mods, such as warcry and Bob's last time I checked aren't available in omod, nor is there conversion info. You'll have to make the omod yourself, and usually this is rather easy. The foolproof way is to extract (if necessary) all files of the mod you need to a temporary folder. Look through the files and make sure everything is in the correct folder-structure (no oblivion/data/meshes/, no data/meshes/, but meshes/ for example;
    I understand but I don't quite see what you mean with "the correct folder structure". I extract the file (e.g. 7z or so) into a temporary folder, that part is clear but why and how do I have to put it in the "correct folder structure"? Sorry for my ignorance.
    depending on the mod you'll then have a temp-folder with esp's and sometimes an esm as loose files, and a meshes, textures, sounds, whatever folder). Some mods have optional esp's or different versions of the same one, it's easiest to delete the unneeded ones now. Otherwise you have to manually deactivate them later.
    What kind of files are .esp and .esm? Should I just look in the cheat sheet for which parts I need? (e.g., only textures etc)
    I don't quite understand this part.
    Then you just have to choose create an omod in OBMM (button at the bottom) and select choose folder and point it to the temp-folder you made.
    I understood that part, weee
    2) Don't yet. Try to find an omod version of 1.33 here. Then download the latest beta version (which is still 1.34 beta 5) and make an omod out of it.
    You can also dnl an archive version of 1.33, extract it to a temp folder, and apply the patch to it by extracting it as well. Then create an omod out of the whole package, but you'll have to redo this for every upgrade later on then.
    I spent some time installing OOO 1.33 already, can't I just do what you described? As in: extract it to a temp folder, apply the patch to it then omod the temp folder via obmm. I might have to redo it once new stuff comes out but that's fine with me.

I'm not sure I understood the beta part, do I really download the latest beta and make an own omod out of it (as in: omod the 1.33+patch as above and then omod the 1.34 beta 5 as well [both individually])?

So the 1.33+patch and the 1.34 beta 5 will be "different omods" in obmm? Does the same apply to MMM (see below)? 3.5.5+3.5.5 beta 5 = one omod; 3.6 beta 3 = another omod?
    3) disregard beta2, and immediately use beta3. It's easiest to make on omod out of it. Personally I make an omod out of 3.5.5 and 3.5.5 beta 5 together and do not have any optional esp's in this one. And then make a seperate omod out of beta 3 with the optional esp's I'll use, that way it's more easily upgradeable when new versions come out by just disabling the latter one, instead of the entire mod.
    So that means I just install 3.5.5, then 3.5.5 beta 5 on top of it (replacing files if necessary) all in the same temporary folder? Next I make an omod out of the whole package via obmm as described above?

Then I ignore 3.6 beta 2 (=don't use it at all) and just install beta3 into yet another temporary folder and turn it into an omod via obmm?

I think I understood, just making sure.
    Ask anything and I'll try to answer, but the FCOM thread on bethsoft is probably better informed since Dev_Akm, CorePC,... hang around there and are very helpful (They do expect you to know obmm, wrye bash, obse and so on. Usually you don't immediately begin with FCOM and you'd pick up on these programs and terms by using other mods)
    Yeah well, I'm totally new to the whole oblivion mod scene so I thought it'd be better to ask here as the answers should be less complicated and I wouldn't be expected to know everything already

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: another question - the latest main FCOM convergence file I need to download is 0.9.9, right? On the download site here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12249 it is the most recent one therefore I assume that it is the one I need.

PPS: Do I need any other files aside from wrye bash, OBMM, the main FCOM convergence file (right above), OOO+patches+beta etc, MMM+patches/beta etc, WarCry+patch and Bob's armory? Any needed further patches hotfixes, bug stuff etc? I'm asking mainly because many sites tell me different things, some say you need this, some say you need that and I'm not sure what's just even more extra stuff and what's really necessary. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Astaroth; January 02, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Anyone?

By the way, how do I install those things? I downloaded and extracted OOO and put it into a temporary folder but I don't know what to do with it. There aren't any "install.exe" or similar files and I don't know what to do with it... Also, how do I apply the 1.34 beta3 patch for OOO? I just put it into my temporary OOO folder but it doesn't seem to do anything.

As described above, I want to convert OOO+the patch into one omod but I have no idea which of the files I need, how to install the thing beforehand etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Astaroth; January 03, 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Your making something easy more difficult. I'm assuming you put the OOO folder you created obmm/mods. If or after you've done that, all you have to do is start up OBMM,then click create in the bottom of the screen then click add folder and browse to the OOO folder you made and click ok to any messages that come up. Then click create omod and wait. DO NOT CLOSE IT if it say it isn't responding or takes a long time to do it. That is normal due to the amount of data it is converting. Thats all there is too it, if the mod doesn't come with omod data already then all you have to do is fill in the name part and then click create omod. It gets easier with more experience

Oh and you can either take the contents of the patch and dump them in your OOO folder or wait until after the omod is done and activated and then dump the patch contents into the data folder, it doesn't matter either way though the first may be a little easier.

Oh and to answer your last question in the post above the one you just made , Yes you also need Francescos mod, it can't be put into a OMOD and you really gotta read the main FCOM site so you know what to do. Oh and if you want to redownload MMM and make it easier for yourself I recommend the OMOD version , less room taken up and it is more easier to install. Here is a link to it, keep in mind after it is installed you still need to install MMM3.6 Beta 3.

FCOM Site : http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/convergence

Francescos Mod : http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co....Detail&id=268
    Side Note : You should only install the base mod and its armour addition, don't install the creatures addition!

MMM OMOD : http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.a...onsterMod.omod
    MMM 3.6B3 : http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.a.../MMM36Beta3.7z

Also a recommendation , after you've gotten everything installed and double checked the FCOM Instructions on the FCOM Site , be sure to download BOSS and use it to structure your order.

BOSS : http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516
    BOSS Required Plugin :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Oh and I don't know if you know this but you picked the hardest mod for a first time mod user in Oblivion to install
    Last edited by Turkeys!; January 03, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys! View Post
    Your making something easy more difficult. I'm assuming you put the OOO folder you created obmm/mods. If or after you've done that, all you have to do is start up OBMM,then click create in the bottom of the screen then click add folder and browse to the OOO folder you made and click ok to any messages that come up. Then click create omod and wait. DO NOT CLOSE IT if it say it isn't responding or takes a long time to do it. That is normal due to the amount of data it is converting. Thats all there is too it, if the mod doesn't come with omod data already then all you have to do is fill in the name part and then click create omod. It gets easier with more experience
    Ok, I see. Just making sure, this is what I did:

1) Download 1.33 OOO and the 1.34 patch and extracted (via winrar) them both into ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods.

2) Started OBMM, clicked "add folder", searched for ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods\OOO+patch etc and then "create omod". Mind you, I took the whole part I downloaded, everything of it, 100%, didn't add nor remove any files.
    Oh and you can either take the contents of the patch and dump them in your OOO folder or wait until after the omod is done and activated and then dump the patch contents into the data folder, it doesn't matter either way though the first may be a little easier.
    What I did is put both into ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods\OOO. Didn't add/remove etc anything and just omod'ed the whole package. Correct?
    Oh and to answer your last question in the post above the one you just made , Yes you also need Francescos mod, it can't be put into a OMOD and you really gotta read the main FCOM site so you know what to do. Oh and if you want to redownload MMM and make it easier for yourself I recommend the OMOD version , less room taken up and it is more easier to install. Here is a link to it, keep in mind after it is installed you still need to install MMM3.6 Beta 3.
    Interestingly enough I have already downloaded MMM 3.5.5 as omod. What do I do with MMM, put it into ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods as well (same place where I put OOO before), then put MMM3.6 beta3 in the exact same place, then open obmm, add folder, add the whole thing and create omod? Correct? In the exact same way as I did with OOO?
    Francescos Mod : http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co....Detail&id=268
    Side Note : You should only install the base mod and its armour addition, don't install the creatures addition!
    Already downloaded the right/needed stuff. How do I install it, though? You said I cannot make an omod out of it, how do I install it then?
    Already downloaded that but thanks anyway
    Also a recommendation , after you've gotten everything installed and double checked the FCOM Instructions on the FCOM Site , be sure to download BOSS and use it to structure your order.

BOSS : http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516
    BOSS Required Plugin :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    Thanks.
    Oh and I don't know if you know this but you picked the hardest mod for a first time mod user in Oblivion to install
    Yeah, I figured that out... but why are these things so hard to install? There are massive overhauls for the Total War games as well with many scripts etc yet they are all WAY easier to install. You just download the thing, start the installer and put it in the right place. Why is this so complicated? Why don't they just combine the whole Fran+OOO+WarCry+MMM package into one without 20 plugins etc needed?

Oh to the first two questions , did you take the contents out of the OOO 1.34 Patch Folder and overwrite the 1.33 files?

Install the MMM OMOD and then make a MMM 3.6 Folder for the Patch.

Francescos is a normal exe , so just install it like a normal file but before you click any options read the FCOM Rules on the plugins for it.

The reason they don't combine it is because it would have to be constantly updated and would take up a helluva lot of space , when you think about it though , all you are doing is downloading a group of mods and then installing them and then installing FCOM. It is just the additional kinks they put in it that make it more difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys! View Post
    Oh to the first two questions , did you take the contents out of the OOO 1.34 Patch Folder and overwrite the 1.33 files?

Install the MMM OMOD and then make a MMM 3.6 Folder for the Patch.

Francescos is a normal exe , so just install it like a normal file but before you click any options read the FCOM Rules on the plugins for it.

The reason they don't combine it is because it would have to be constantly updated and would take up a helluva lot of space , when you think about it though , all you are doing is downloading a group of mods and then installing them and then installing FCOM. It is just the additional kinks they put in it that make it more difficult
    No, I didn't... I don't even know how, I extracted the OOO 1.34 patch files to the OOO 1.33 folder but it didn't ask me to overwrite anything... please explain it in more detail, I have no idea what to do whatsover.

Thanks.

Open the folder called OOO 1.34, drag a box over all the contents inside , right click and then click cut then go back to the main folder and then right click again and paste.

Hm, yet another problem, weee...

What can I do if I have an omod version of MMM 3.5.5 yet I also have a ZIP version of MMM 3.5.5 beta 5? How can I "combine" the two so the patch overwrites the files?

This is such a pain to install, I'd be so happy, so extremely happy if anyone bothered to type out a long, detailed step-by-step guide for me for installing this... I have been wasting so many hours on this, I've been trying to download this and getting it to work for over 3 days now, I am just fed up and simply want to play the game. Please, someone have mercy with me. Why isn't there a detailed step-by-step guide for installing FCOM for dummies like me? Please, someone help me...

I somehow installed OOO+some add-ons for it now (via obmm) but I have no bloody idea whether I did it right. I also have an omod for MMM 3.5.5 installed now but for some reason it asked me to overwrite files when I tried to install it.

This is what I have currently (just downloaded, not extracted or anything).

1) unmodded, unchanged Oblivion with 1.2 patch+SI

2) WarCry [as 7z/zip]

3) Bob's armory [as 7z/zip]

4) OOO+1.34 patch for OOO [both as 7z/zip]

5) MMM 3.5.5 [as omod] +3.5.5 beta5 [as 7z/zip] + MMM 3.6 beta 3 [as 7z/zip]

6) Fran's mod and the needed additional upgrade [as 7z/zip]

7) Wrye Bash installed in the main oblivion folder

8) OBMM in the main oblivion folder

9) FCOM convergence stuff [as 7z/zip]

Can someone please give me a detailed, thorough, long, step-by-step, understandable guide on what to do exactly? In the exact order in which it is needed. Please tell me the exact folders which are needed, exactly where I have to put what so there is no chance that I can mess anything up.

Thanks in advance, I'd give a shower of rep to whoever did this for me...
    Last edited by Astaroth; January 03, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Wow, this is getting a bit confusing now. As they say: FCOM chews up your PC and spits it back out in little pieces

I understand but I don't quite see what you mean with "the correct folder structure". I extract the file (e.g. 7z or so) into a temporary folder, that part is clear but why and how do I have to put it in the "correct folder structure"? Sorry for my ignorance.
    What I meant was that to have an omod working properly you must make sure the file-hierarchy is correct. For example when you extract a rar-file to a fictitious temp-folder it could be in this format:
    c:\temp\oblivion\data\meshes\
    c:\temp\oblivion\data\sounds\
    c:\temp\oblivion\data\
    with the files in those folders.
    If you would select the temp-folder now in OBMM to create an omod, it wouldn't work properly. This is because when you activate an omod, OBMM actually decompresses files to your oblivion\data folder and with this example you'd end up with:
    c:\oblivion\data\oblivion\data\meshes\
    c:\oblivion\data\oblivion\data\sounds\
    c:\oblivion\data\oblivion\data\
    and they wouldn't be properly loaded in the game.
    The key is that your temp-folder should be parallel to the data-folder, meaning that if there's an oblivion and/or data folder left in temp, you have to move all files respectively two and one stage higher.

What kind of files are .esp and .esm? Should I just look in the cheat sheet for which parts I need? (e.g., only textures etc)
    I don't quite understand this part.
    Esp's and esm's are the Oblivion's most important files, they are the core of the game and hold most data. Some mods, mainly MMM and FCOM itself hold various plugins or esp's that are not required to play. But they can add certain stuff, or disable it. Mostly it's to your own liking which you nuse, though certain plugins are either incompatible with FCOM or are already incorporated in FCOM itself.
    I spent some time installing OOO 1.33 already, can't I just do what you described? As in: extract it to a temp folder, apply the patch to it then omod the temp folder via obmm. I might have to redo it once new stuff comes out but that's fine with me.

I'm not sure I understood the beta part, do I really download the latest beta and make an own omod out of it (as in: omod the 1.33+patch as above and then omod the 1.34 beta 5 as well [both individually])?

So the 1.33+patch and the 1.34 beta 5 will be "different omods" in obmm? Does the same apply to MMM (see below)? 3.5.5+3.5.5 beta 5 = one omod; 3.6 beta 3 = another omod?

So that means I just install 3.5.5, then 3.5.5 beta 5 on top of it (replacing files if necessary) all in the same temporary folder? Next I make an omod out of the whole package via obmm as described above?

Then I ignore 3.6 beta 2 (=don't use it at all) and just install beta3 into yet another temporary folder and turn it into an omod via obmm?

I think I understood, just making sure.
    This all more or less depends on personal preference. Either omod the entire mods, or in parts to make future upgrades easier.
    But perhaps as a novice it's easier to just omod the entire thing.
    For that just install everything in a temp-folder (make sure when applying patches you write over everything if askes) making sure the file-structure is correct (no data or oblivion folder inside temp)

PS: another question - the latest main FCOM convergence file I need to download is 0.9.9, right? On the download site here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12249 it is the most recent one therefore I assume that it is the one I need.

PPS: Do I need any other files aside from wrye bash, OBMM, the main FCOM convergence file (right above), OOO+patches+beta etc, MMM+patches/beta etc, WarCry+patch and Bob's armory? Any needed further patches hotfixes, bug stuff etc? I'm asking mainly because many sites tell me different things, some say you need this, some say you need that and I'm not sure what's just even more extra stuff and what's really necessary. Thanks in advance.
    9.9 is indeed the latest but there's been 2 hotfixes out as explained on dev_akm's site

FCOM provides compatibility (that's where most of the optional plugins come in) for many popular mods, but I'd suggest skipping that for the moment

Anyone?

By the way, how do I install those things? I downloaded and extracted OOO and put it into a temporary folder but I don't know what to do with it. There aren't any "install.exe" or similar files and I don't know what to do with it... Also, how do I apply the 1.34 beta3 patch for OOO? I just put it into my temporary OOO folder but it doesn't seem to do anything.

As described above, I want to convert OOO+the patch into one omod but I have no idea which of the files I need, how to install the thing beforehand etc.

Thanks in advance.
    By making them an omod all you have to do to install them is enable them in OBMM.
    If not using omods it's either by using an exe of the mod, or by merely extracting to the data-folder

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys!
    I'd refrain from using omods and standard extractions together. It's gonna be a to track down a problem this way later on.
    Oh and to answer your last question in the post above the one you just made , Yes you also need Francescos mod, it can't be put into a OMOD
    It can be made an omod, merely install it to a temp-folder instead of your oblivion folder, and then omod it.

Astaroth again
    1) Download 1.33 OOO and the 1.34 patch and extracted (via winrar) them both into ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods.
    Don't extract to a OBMM-folder! Way too confusing since this obmm\mod-folder is where OBMM stores it's OMODS.
    I personally extract everything to c:\temp\modname. That way you're sure you're not messing up.

2) Started OBMM, clicked "add folder", searched for ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods\OOO+patch etc and then "create omod". Mind you, I took the whole part I downloaded, everything of it, 100%, didn't add nor remove any files.
    Make sure the patch overwrote everything correctly, with OOO itself there aren't any optional plugins. (that's mainly MMM and FCOM)

Interestingly enough I have already downloaded MMM 3.5.5 as omod. What do I do with MMM, put it into ...bethesda\oblivion\obmm\mods as well (same place where I put OOO before), then put MMM3.6 beta3 in the exact same place, then open obmm, add folder, add the whole thing and create omod? Correct? In the exact same way as I did with OOO?
    MMM 3.5.5 as an omod can be copied to obbmm\mods
    But merely putting the omod and the patch in the same folder and then omod'ing won't work, you'd be omod'ing an omod .
    If you use 3.5.5 as an omod, you'll have to make a seperate omod of the patches and activate it after the original MMM-omod in OBMM, that way it will overwrite the correct files.

Yeah, I figured that out... but why are these things so hard to install? There are massive overhauls for the Total War games as well with many scripts etc yet they are all WAY easier to install. You just download the thing, start the installer and put it in the right place. Why is this so complicated? Why don't they just combine the whole Fran+OOO+WarCry+MMM package into one without 20 plugins etc needed?
    Because practically all FCOM installations are all unique due to it's modular nature. It all depends on what mods and plugins you use, what version of those mods you use,...
    But there used to be some talk about making a barebones FCOM-installation when 1.0 comes out.

No, I didn't... I don't even know how, I extracted the OOO 1.34 patch files to the OOO 1.33 folder but it didn't ask me to overwrite anything... please explain it in more detail, I have no idea what to do whatsover.

Thanks. :original:
    if using OOO 1.33 as an exe, install everything to a temp\OOO folder instead of the oblivion folder, then extract the patch to the same folder.
    If using a rarred version, just extract both to the same location.
    Last edited by Manco; January 03, 2009 at 05:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast