Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB AAR] Severus The God

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: [IB AAR] Severus The God

@twking - Thank you.

@bomberboy - Pictish levies are Dimba (peltasts) and Gairlom (levy spears) they have zero turn recruitment.

Pictish Regulars are Chodaoer (axemen), Elbharu (crossbows), Gaimorlom (pikes) and Marchan (spear and javelin cavalry). They have 1 turn recruitment.

Pictish Elites are Aumue Boai (wildmen), Gai Aurmahr (mailed spears) and Ludodaoer (sword champions). They have 4 turn recruitment and unit size of only 60. The elite cavalry are the sword-equipped Mormaer bodyguards.

See this post for pictures. During Spite of Severus, I didn't recruit Gaimorlom because I was using the cheaper Gairlom for the battle line, and Chodaoer for assault troops.

@Aster - The Picts may be underpowered, but they have good generals.

@Entropy Judge - Gaimorlom Pikes are a Macedonian-style Pike Phalanx. But they have no armour or shields, and the pikes are short.

I think the first three rows can fight. (isn't it five for Macedonians?) They are regular 1-turn recruitment Picts and seem to be quite steady, but go down like flies in prolonged fighting. I had a unit of them at Vinovia when they still had the bright red IBFD skins. I have since installed Carajudo's skins and they are much better looking now.

@Sunbird Alkibijad - err, I may need subtitles for that comment. Also don't plan your life around proverbs, Fortune may indeed favour the brave, but don't forget to "Look before you Leap"!

@Mr. Cursed - music to my ears! As I said above, Pictish Pikes are a macedonian-style phalanx of regular quality troops, not levy.

@Hesus de bodemloze - Welcome, I am particularly pleased to see you here, I have often seen you visit my (esteemed) rivals and wondered whether there was something more I should be adding to my own stories. :hmmm:

@Legio Caesar - Thanks Legio, I'm glad you like my story.

@Xavier Dragnesi - Interesting, I may try reading it to my daughter, she is quite hard to stir on school days - I can't imagine why.

@Selifator - I don't know what fate has in store for Cirech yet. I need to play some some of the campaign. It would be a shame to lose him, because he would make a good conspirator against Drest.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Ah. So they actually have the Phalanx ability...interesting.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Celts having a phalanx ability? Thats inaccurate don't you think?
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cursed View Post
    Ah. So they actually have the Phalanx ability...interesting.
    Well, now that you come to mention it, they don't actually have phalanx ability (they have Schiltrom instead), but they are two-handed pikemen, and they do form a phalanx-like formation with three ranks of spearpoints projecting from the front of the formation. They are also quite nippy around the battlefield. I don't recall two-handed pikes in vanilla-BI, perhaps they are a custom animation (like the two-handed Clibinari).
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Hmmm. Interesting. I might have to consider---

Naw, who am I kidding. I'll never in one hundred years play as the Pictish Crap-Confederacy.

Game of the Fates
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Well, now that you come to mention it, they don't actually have phalanx ability (they have Schiltrom instead), but they are two-handed pikemen, and they do form a phalanx-like formation with three ranks of spearpoints projecting from the front of the formation. They are also quite nippy around the battlefield. I don't recall two-handed pikes in vanilla-BI, perhaps they are a custom animation (like the two-handed Clibinari).
    ... So they operate like the Speutogardoz from EB's Sweboz (if you've ever played it)?
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    ... So they operate like the Speutogardoz from EB's Sweboz (if you've ever played it)?
    I don't know, I haven't played Sweboz in EB (just Casse and Koinon Hellenon), so I don't know what animation they use. In vanilla, the Germani Pikes use the hard-coded one-handed phalanx ability and they look very weird, like synchronised swimmers wading through treacle (ooh, yum... err... what was I saying? - oh yes). Pictish pikemen hold their pikes with a proper two-handed grip all the time and just naturally form a phalanx whenever you line them up (rather than having a phalanx mode).

Anyway, good news, I played some more of the campaign and events at Condate turned out to be more interesting than I had anticipated. I'll try to turn it into an episode over the weekend.

@Mr. Cursed - For Shame! The Pictish Confederacy is quite fun to play with their 40-60 man elites and heavy dependence on mercenaries. Although it has been a bit touch-and-go, they have
    so far dealt with the Franks quite handily (but I don't think I would be willing to sell life-insurance to those Pictish Pikemen).
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Well can't wait for it. Anyway have you seen Red Octobers AAR?
    Bomberboy's reviews

For Shame! The Pictish Confederacy is quite fun to play with their 40-60 man elites and heavy dependence on mercenaries. Although it has been a bit touch-and-go, they have so far dealt with the Franks quite handily (but I don't think I would be willing to sell life-insurance to those Pictish Pikemen).
    Sorry. I'm terribly racist against any and all barbarians.

Game of the Fates

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cursed View Post
    Sorry. I'm terribly racist against any and all barbarians.
    lol!
    Bomberboy's reviews

What is this!? Severus has been cast to the pits of the second page! Bump is in order!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Um, er, thanks for that.

I have the pictures done for the next episode, which takes the form of a circular walk around Condate (don't worry, it all makes perfect sense).

However, there is a chunk of writing to finish in order to do the story justice. I'll try to get that done tonight.

I thought everyone had left for the Empire forums.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

I'm surprised at the lack of comments really, there are two AAR's, one here and provided through a link by PW. But the .org version has had more comments than the one here, and even that is only 2 pages. So I guess most people are weak, and fainted when they saw them.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

good cant wait for your next update

X: THE CONDATE WALTZ

“Graeculus esuriens in coelum, jusseris, ibit”
    (Bid the hungry Greek go to heaven, he will go)
    Juvenal

The Siege
    In the following days, the fittest component of Cirech's army advanced cautiously along the Condate road with cavalry ranging ahead and the wounded trailing along behind. But they found only stragglers from the armies of Sigimer and Chloderic.

Coming upon the more developed farmlands close to the city, there were signs of more organised defenders, but these prudently declined to face the approaching Picts, and soon Cirech was able to look upon the city itself just in time to see the gates sealed shut as the last of the men of Hariulfus scurried inside.

So it was to be a siege. Cirech established his camps and pressed local artisans into service for the construction of towers and rams. Scouts observing the city estimated that the army of Hariulfus was actually slightly larger than that of the Picts, but most of them seemed to be levies. Cirech hoped that the Franks would come out to fight, given their tactics so far, he was confident he could beat them. But if he had to assault the city, it was going to be a bloodbath. He dreaded the effect that Frankish axes would have on his weary soldiers in the close confines of the fighting on the walls where their superior agility would count for nothing.

A few weeks later heartening news arrived in the form of a messenger from Drest. He had agreed to give Cirech another three bands of warriors to help with the assault on Condate. Preparations for the attack continued with somewhat less gloom than had formerly been the case,

Every day, Cirech did his rounds of the siege camps, checking that discipline was being maintained, that the regular patrols were not being neglected and generally just reminding his men that his eye was on them. Esselt, his wife, kept abreast of the gossip amongst the lower ranks and camp followers, and as a result, on his inspections Cirech was able to display an almost supernatural knowledge of the petty crimes and negligence of his subordinates.

News arrived of the sailing of reinforcements from Londinium. Cirech hoped that this meant he would get more spearmen to help fill out Finechta's depleted ranks.

The building was well advanced, with five siege towers slowly beginning to taking shape, when reports came in of the longed for Frankish sally. This was excellent news, Cirech called in all his detachments to concentrate on the east side of Condate so that the foolish Hariulfus could be destroyed out in the open.

While Cirech was waiting for confirmation that the last of his forces were in place and ready to spring his trap, a small party of horsemen suddenly arrived at his camp. It was Talorc Morbet with some of his operatives. He wasted no time with formalities, striding directly up to Cirech to deliver his news.

“My Lord, the Frankish army of Badeloga has come up from Avaricum. It is less than an hour behind me. His damned cavalry have been chasing us for twelve days now, and I have lost several good men trying to evade them. They number about a thousand in all and have sixteen score of the Frankeska Heriskara”.

Cirech stood stunned for a few seconds before exploding into frustrated rage, cursing this contrary land for foiling his plans. Calling his aides to him, he issued a stream of orders for his scattered bands to extricate themselves from the Frankish trap.

The Retreat
    Pictish fleetness of foot was all that saved them as the two Frankish armies came crashing together at Cirech's camp. While his men slipped into the forest to the south, Cirech watched as his camp was pillaged and his precious siege engines went up in flames.

It took all of Cirech's authority to keep his men together during the retreat, as Picts were accustomed to abandoning unlucky leaders to prevent the displeasure of the gods spreading to them also. But Cirech wasn't beaten yet. He led his army by a circuitous route around the south side of Condate to a position in the hills to the west where he established his new base.

As soon as a perimeter had been secured, Cirech brought his forces to order. It was the first time in months that they had been concentrated for battle, and despite all of his efforts, they were rusty. So he drilled them by day and imposed strict camp discipline by night after the Roman fashion.

Meanwhile, Talorc Morbat was sent to negotiate with the locals of the west part of the peninsula. These talks proved to be very successful. The locals resented the Frankish invasion and the rule of Prince Hariulfus had been harsh. The liberal distribution of gold from the Treasury of Drest brought not only supplies for the army, but also an ordo of Pedites Bucellari drawn from Roman veterani who had completed their service before the collapse of Roman Gaul.

Even though the first snows of winter had already fallen, the army was ready for action, and scouts were dispatched east to discover the current dispositions of Hariulfus. It transpired that the Prince had returned to Condate, leaving Badeloga to watch the eastern approaches, presumably expecting Picts to approach from the east.

The Riposte
    Cirech resolved to confound Hariulfus by surprising and destroying Badeloga before the Prince could react. To accomplish this, he set out on another circuitous march, this time north-west until he struck the coast, and then east, intending to pass Condate with a night march and attack Badeloga in his camp, thus gaining revenge for the shame of the recent retreat and the failed siege.

Everything appeared to go well. Condate was passed successfully during the night and the army of Badeloga was identified just after dawn. Cirech drew up his own army into a compact formation of five lines and began the final approach march.

But then, his outriders noticed a cloud of dust in the direction of Condate. It was Hariulfus! Somehow he had detected the Pictish flank march and now they were caught again between the two Frankish armies.

Cirech cursed his luck. This time withdrawal was not an option, unless the army could learn to swim across the Germanicum Mare. It was going to be all or nothing, and there was no time to lose, Badeloga must be routed quickly before the Prince's army could come fully into action.

Cirech ordered the battle horns to signal an advance at the double.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

The suspense is killing me!

And I as well! Though I notice you've eliminated him by way of night attacking.

Game of the Fates

Kátz's Avatar Senator

dum de dum dum de dum dum de dum dum de dum..... I can hear the sound of battle here! The suspense is also killing me!

Ride of the valkyries indeed, this will either be Cirech's last or his finest hour. If he wins, he'll have destroyed another Frank army and the city is open for siege (with some necessary reinforcements of course) but if he loses, he's dead (duh) and the west flank is open! Yaarg, the suspense!

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

Ah yes cliffhangers, how i love them lol. I do the same thing in my AAR..gotta keep ppl at the edges of their computer chair!! haha