Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB AAR] Severus The God

Default Re: [IB AAR] Severus The God

Germanus is dead? But he had such great things ahead of him!

Well, I suppose the point is moot as the Romano-British shall never rise again, even with his help.

Excellent update!

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

well done

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

@Smirk - thanks, it is great to see new readers here.

@Antiochos VII Sidetes - I am delighted to hear from someone who recognises St. Germanus. When I found the frescoes, they seemed so appropriate to my story that I "borrowed" the good saint (who is of the correct period anyway). He is still working in "Britannia" (well, a recently conquered bit anyway), and still preaching to and baptising the Pictish soldiers. Sadly, for public order reasons, I couldn't allow him to actually convert the Picts (unless Drest died and was replaced by a Christian faction leader... ).

@bomberboy - I was stuck for a little while trying to make sense of the assassination of Furtuis the Saxon spy. But then I remembered that Naiton is Christian (yes, he really is), and it all fell into place. Naiton supports Bishop Germanus and the path of non-violent protest, Germanus has accepted help from the Saxons (very unwise), and the Saxons conduct sabotage under the cover of the Christian insurrection (probably with the help of Christian rebels who think Germanus too mild). Et Voilą! The episode practically writes itself!
    Last edited by Juvenal; May 03, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Yay! My favourite AAR is back on tracks! Thank you!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Seconded. And let me mention again: I am extremely impressed that you have woven Germanus into the fabric of your tale. 'Twas a pleasant surprise.

Game of the Fates
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    @bomberboy - I was stuck for a little while trying to make sense of the assassination of Furtius the Saxon spy. But then I remembered that Naiton is Christian (yes, he really is), and it all fell into place. Naiton supports Bishop Germanus and the path of non-violent protest, Germanus has accepted help from the Saxons (very unwise), and the Saxons conduct sabotage under the cover of the Christian insurrection (probably with the help of Christian rebels who think Germanus too mild). Et Voilą! The episode practically writes itself!
    That explains it but betraying your own country because of religion! Drest will have to hang him or worse, chop his head off.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Really nice update. I like how you can take little things that happen on the campaign map, the notes at the beginning of every turn which I usually ignore, and turn them into thrilling and compelling prose. Lovely update.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

@Selifator - isn't it time you started another AAR?

@Antiochos VII Sidetes
    - I would have liked Germanus to do more, but the story demanded his martrydom.

@bomberboy
    - Naiton isn't a traitor, he tries to reconcile his Christianity with his loyalty to his father. He and Germanus were not privy to the sabotage.

@fergusmck - Thank you Fergus. I am not really into "Big Pictures" at the moment, it is the little things that bring a story to life. I am really pleased that some of my characters are growing into recognisable individuals (at least in my own mind). Their various motivations and temperaments help me to create a meaningful story from the bare events of the campaign.

Anyway, there are now lots of events to convey because I have played through the Avaricum campaign. It delivered some twists that surprised me and is going to require several episodes.
    Last edited by Juvenal; May 03, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

And we shall await them eagerly.

Game of the Fates

XV: PILGRIMAGE TO AVARICUM

For He, who gave this vast machine to roll,
    Breathed Life in us, and then a Reasoning Soul;
    That kindred feelings might our state improve,
    And mutual wants conduct to mutual love.
    Juvenal

Waiting in the Wings
    Naiton's army was a contradictory thing. The individual bands were at full strength, splendidly equipped with the latest products of the smithies of Eboracum, and bristling with élan and martial spirit. But most had never seen combat, and they had only just assembled for the first time for the voyage over the Germanicum Mare.

Many of these men had no memory of the time before the conquest of Britannia. For them, Drest had always been their King and Pictavia always both pre-eminent and unchallenged. There were also many Romano-Britons, still formed into segregated units of Milites, Sagitarii and Equites. Some looked fondly back to the Pax Romana, hoping Drest would return to the sundered Empire. Others felt that Pictavia was now the sole remaining bastion of civilisation (perhaps thanks to Severus) and that Gaul should be shunned as a sink of barbarians and decadent Roman renegades.

Naiton resolved to try to prove himself at Avaricum, he would demonstrate that he was his own man, able to advance the causes of both country and faith, regardless of the will of his father. But for the present it was his father's will that Avaricum not be attacked before his final contingent of soldiers arrived from Britannia.

As a compromise, Naiton had advanced only as far as Juliomagus on the southern border of the Pictish controlled zone, where three other rivers flowed into the great Liger Fluvium. In the months that he had to wait, he had plenty of time to reflect upon his ambitions, and also upon the extent of his responsibility for the death of Germanus.

During this time, Naiton's biggest challenge was gaining the respect of Constantine and Gracchus, his Romano-British senior officers. Constantine, who had commanded Cirech's archers, was a professional soldier with a family tradition of service to the Empire. He was polite enough, but seemed to hold Naiton in very little regard. Gracchus, a Graal Knight who had commanded Drest's cavalry, was insolent to the point of insubordination, for reasons Naiton was at a loss to fathom. Naiton had hoped that their shared Christianity would unite them, but Gracchus refused to discuss his faith and Naiton slowly began to realise that he was viewed as little better than a heretic by the dour Roman.

The camp began to take on the trappings of a permanent town. Merchants from nearby Juliomagus organised a weekly market outside the palisade where a second, more chaotic settlement of camp followers grew up, consisting of store-holders, whores, beggars, entertainers, thieves and knaves of every description. Naiton was eventually forced to proclaim a nightly curfew on his men, enforced by the Graal Knights (who seemed impervious to such temptations).

Naiton relied on the veteran spy, Talorc Morbet, to keep him informed. Amalric the Frank, betrayer of Gaius Macrinus all those years ago, continued to rule in Avaricum, but his army remained modest so the prospects for the campaign seemed good.

Talorc Morbet found that it was quite easy to travel within the province of Viennensis, but the crossing into Lugdinensis Prima was heavily guarded by warriors from Durocortorum. Not wishing to risk passage by boat, Talorc sought information from his nephew Ce Morbet who was operating in the area. When Ce's despatch eventually returned, it confirmed that the forces on his side of the Liger Fluvium were sufficient only for local defence.

On the road back to Avaricum, Talorc happened to come upon an old battlefield. It had clearly been a very large battle, because many bones had survived the attention of animals and looters, together with some rusted remnants of weapons and armour, broken carts, pottery shards and scraps of cloth. Fascinated, Talorc took time to questions the locals. He learned that an army of the Imperium Constantini had won a great victory over the encroaching Franks here, but that the Romans had been badly mauled also. Talorc suspected that he had been looking at the remains of the Frankish baggage train, incompletely plundered after the shock of the battle.

In any case, the result had counted for nothing because the following year a fresh army under Amalric had swept the Constantini away. Talorc was a phlegmatic man, but on this occasion he felt a chill in his bones, as if an invisible shadow of cold lay across the old battlefield. He mounted his horse and continued on his journey, his thoughts troubled by vague premonitions of doom.

The Grand Advance
    It was spring, with trees in new leaf and the memory of snow and winter mud fading, like something experienced in a dream. Naiton's army was complete, his commanders as obedient as they were ever going to be and Drest's proscription against attacking Avaricum lifted.

The army broke camp in good spirits, the weakness of the Franks was now well known and it lent a feeling of optimism which made the impending advance feel like a grand adventure. Naiton led his force upstream along the north bank of the Liger Fluvium, crossing at Caesarodunum and then making straight for Avaricum by way of Cabris.

There was no opposition until the walls of Avaricum itself were in sight, and even then the Frankish army did not offer battle, preferring instead to withdraw into the city. Naiton fancied he might have glimpsed Amalric himself as the Franks slunk away, but couldn't be certain.

That evening, Naiton held an impromptu service to thank Christos for preserving the lives of his soldiers during this campaign, and he renewed his vow to treat all men, even enemies, as a good Christian should. Constantine remained polite but non-committal during the proceedings, but Naiton fancied he saw just the faintest hint of approval of the face of Gracchus.

And so the advance was over, the Picts settled into new fortified encampments supporting the siege works while artisans laboured at the construction of siege equipment. But this renewed experience of camp life was not a good one for the Picts, the enthusiasm of the advance began to dissipate, and some of the old resentments and bad-blood re-surfaced. Naiton found himself actually hoping the enemy might sally before discipline broke down completely.

Affairs of State
    The visible improvement of public order in Hatomagus after the death of Germanus prompted the Imperium Constantini to offer a full Alliance, which secured both flanks of Pictish Gaul. Ce Morbet found himself assigned back to the field, charged with observing the Franks around Durocortorum while his friend Galam Diuperr went west to investigate reports of foreign agents operating against Condate.

It was a deeply boring assignment. Frankish security was lax, but Ce was posing as a peddler and needed to stay in character. As it happened the Franks had substantial forces around Durocortorum, but Severus had given clear instructions for Ce to underestimate them in his reports. Something exciting did finally happen, but not to Ce. Returning to Hatomagus for the winter, He discovered that he had missed all of the action.

Galam Diuperr had found more Saxon agents working against Cirech at Condate, and with his usual directness, had killed a Saxon named Vangio, ironically an assassin himself. But the Saxons used this as a pretext to declare war (which they were planning in any case) and their foederati forces in Britannia turned on the Picts and laid siege to Venta Icenorum.

As a final insult, The Constantini, also allied with the Saxons, broke off relations with Pictavia. It was said that Drest was so angry he had the Constantini emissary flogged and sent back to Samarobriva tied to a cart.

News from the South
    Observing Avaricum from a nearby hill, Naiton noticed an increase in activity, although from this distance he could not make out whether the crowds were military or civilian. The city was packed with civilians due to the speed of Naiton's advance, and Amalric had refused all offers of safe-conduct for the townsfolk.

Then the question resolved itself. A side gate swung open and a column of men started marching out. Naiton quickly mounted his horse and rode down to the main camp to order his men to arms. But as he arrived another man galloped into the camp and accosted Naiton.

Pushing back his cowl to reveal a craggy weather beaten face, Talorc Morbet took Naiton urgently by the shoulder.

“An army of Franks has come up from the south, I had to ride around to get in front of them, they almost caught me. You will need more than half your men to match these Franks and there is very little time!”

“This is grim news Talorc, and somehow Amalric already knows of it, because his garrison is coming out to fight. We will have to pull back to gain enough time to concentrate for battle.”

Sending Talorc back to observe the new enemy, Naiton began preparing his army to fight.

Last edited by Juvenal; May 04, 2009 at 01:35 AM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Edward lV's Avatar Campidoctor

Good job there Juvenal.

Interesting update. I'll be watching for the continuation.

Game of the Fates

Looks very nice. I noticed one tiny name mistake, Galam Diupurr had found, should be Diuperr, eh?Anyway, nitpicking aside, it looks like events are again forming, and perhaps a lot of bloodshed in the making as well.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    Looks very nice. I noticed one tiny name mistake, Galam Diupurr had found, should be Diuperr, eh?Anyway, nitpicking aside, it looks like events are again forming, and perhaps a lot of bloodshed in the making as well.
    Fixed.

I also got Furtuis wrong (also now fixed), with him being a spy I made the Freudian slip of writing him as Furtius (as in furtive, the kind of pun you might find in Up Pompeii).

There are several battles to come in quick succession, so there will be no shortage of blood (although Pictish soldiers may be in short supply by the end of it).
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

nice update
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

So the Saxons were planning a conspiracy, it's ironic (is it?) that the constantini would ally with them.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Quote Originally Posted by bomberboy View Post
    So the Saxons were planning a conspiracy, it's ironic (is it?) that the constantini would ally with them.
    The Constantini are at war with the Franks, so an alliance with the Saxons (with whom they don't have a border) was a good idea for them.

When they finally got around to offering to ally with my Picts (despite sharing a border - desperation?), I was in two minds whether to accept since Samarobriva and Burdigala are the natural next targets for Pictish expansion.

Then the Saxons declared war, and the Constantini had to choose which of us to abandon. As it happens, AI factions always seem to support the aggressor, so their dalliance with my Picts came to an abrupt end.

What really surprised me was the sudden activity of the Saxons. They had been sitting in Norfolk for more than ten years doing nothing, but now they are quite active, even going so far as to invade Britannia (as you will see in an episode or two).

Next episode is coming this weekend. You will see Naiton in action against yet more Franks.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Excellent update, Juvenal. There is a wonderfully laconic tone to the writing which belies the density of your narrative!

An invasion of Britain! Now that is going to cause Drest some headaches. I guess we'll be seeing his reaction next update?

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    An invasion of Britain! Now that is going to cause Drest some headaches. I guess we'll be seeing his reaction next update?
    The next episode is the battle for Avaricum, after that the events in Gaul and Britannia are somewhat intertwined so I'm not sure how to split them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    There is a wonderfully laconic tone to the writing which belies the density of your narrative!
    Ah, damn... I was trying for epic, perhaps if I used more adjectives like Longfellow maybe...
    By the shore of Liger Fluvium,
    By the stinking Pictish camp site,
    At the doorway of his fine tent,
    In the pleasant Summer morning,
    Naiton stood upright and waited.
    All the air was full of freshness,
    All the earth was bright and joyous,
    And before him, through the sunshine,
    Northward from the neighbouring township,
    Passed in golden swarms the merchants,
    Passed the drones, the money-makers,
    Skipping, singing In the sunshine.