Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think was the safest place to live?

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Were there any major/minor battles in Ireland at that time?
    Just Barbarian fighting each other no big but by the time Britain was conquered some Emperors tryed to take it I think :erm
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

There was never an attempted Roman conquest of Hibernia (Ireland/Eire). Recent finds have shown that there was at least a Roman trading outpost on the coast, but that's about it. And it wouldn't have been a 'safe' place to live. It was ruled by chiefs and warlords and tribes that thought killing each other and stealing each other's cows was good fun.

I wouldn't consider anywhere back then 'safe'.

Civis

Originally posted by deathdoom56@Mar 30 2005, 05:55 PM
    Shu, nobody atttacked there did they?
    Rofl, that's great. How did Jin conquer them, then?

And no, the Teutoberg forest (Notice the name? The Romans are incredibly uncreative. Teutons = Germans. Teutoberg Forest = German Forest (City). O.o) wouldn't have been a fun place for you "civilized" Romans. >.>

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

What about Constantinople?

Dunno, just seemed like a pretty safe place to me. Or did it get sacked by the Goths when the Roman Empire split in two?

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Originally posted by Dithyrambos@Mar 31 2005, 12:33 AM
    Rofl, that's great. How did Jin conquer them, then?

And no, the Teutoberg forest (Notice the name? The Romans are incredibly uncreative. Teutons = Germans. Teutoberg Forest = German Forest (City). O.o) wouldn't have been a fun place for you "civilized" Romans. >.>
    Still Shu was realitivly a peaceful area of China

Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

Were there any major/minor battles in Ireland at that time?
    there were supposidly great battles but there is no written evidence so there is no proff they happened but on the upside you got to go on little trips over the water to rob the britons and gauls

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

Hamelkart's Avatar Senator

North african mountains. No Roman ever stepped his foot there. That's where the Berbers/Numidians withdrew after Roman wars with Yugurtha.
    PADAJ SILO I NEPRAVDO!

Civis

Originally posted by deathdoom56+Mar 31 2005, 02:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (deathdoom56 @ Mar 31 2005, 02:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dithyrambos@Mar 31 2005, 12:33 AM
    Rofl, that&#39;s great. How did Jin conquer them, then?

And no, the Teutoberg forest (Notice the name? The Romans are incredibly uncreative. Teutons = Germans. Teutoberg Forest = German Forest (City). O.o) wouldn&#39;t have been a fun place for you "civilized" Romans. >.>
    Still Shu was realitivly a peaceful area of China [/b][/quote]
    Still, you&#39;re wrong about no one attacking it.

Originally posted by Dithyrambos@Mar 31 2005, 06:33 AM
    And no, the Teutoberg forest (Notice the name? The Romans are incredibly uncreative. Teutons = Germans. Teutoberg Forest = German Forest (City). O.o) wouldn&#39;t have been a fun place for you "civilized" Romans. >.>
    Uhm...yes, that&#39;s what I was implying. The name has nothing to do with it, it should be common knowledge that that area was not a safe place for romans.

Originally posted by Dithyrambos+Mar 31 2005, 11:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (Dithyrambos @ Mar 31 2005, 11:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by deathdoom56@Mar 31 2005, 02:23 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Dithyrambos
    @Mar 31 2005, 12:33 AM
    Rofl, that&#39;s great. How did Jin conquer them, then?

Still Shu was realitivly a peaceful area of China
    Still, you&#39;re wrong about no one attacking it. [/b][/quote]
    This isnt including the three kingdoms era of course, during the rebellions and fighting before the collapse of the Han dynasty, a lot of the people fled to the area because it was realtivly safe.

Civis

Jin was part of the Three Kingdoms Era. At the time, all it did was supplant Wei. And Wei invaded Shu before.

Next?

Originally posted by Dithyrambos@Mar 31 2005, 12:45 PM
    Jin was part of the Three Kingdoms Era. At the time, all it did was supplant Wei. And Wei invaded Shu before.

Next?
    How about the island of Bahrain. even now there are only 600,000 people on it and it was even thought of to be eden during the middle ages

Achilles of Greece's Avatar Civis

Well, I dont really know much about the "safest place," but I say either Crete or Rhodes. How dangerous can two small islands get?

EDIT: Ok take Rhodes off the list (see post below)

Originally posted by Achilles of Greece@Apr 1 2005, 12:21 AM
    Well, I dont really know much about the "safest place," but I say either Crete or Rhodes. How dangerous can two small islands get?
    Wasnt Rhodes besiged by Macedonians and then attacked several times by the Selucides?

Safest place on Earth? I&#39;d place my bets on Monaco, Micronesia, or St. Helena.

Originally posted by Flavius Atius@Apr 1 2005, 12:36 AM
    Safest place on Earth? I&#39;d place my bets on Monaco, Micronesia, or St. Helena.
    Wasnt micronesia filled with cannibalistic tribes that waged war on each other for no reason?

They probably raged war for lands and personal gain.

In those days, the safest people were the strongest people, so I&#39;ll go with anywhere in Rome.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Originally posted by Evil Maniac From Mars@Apr 1 2005, 03:35 PM
    Canada. Seriously.
    Wasent Canada filled with dangerois animals like grizzly bears, mounten lions, and man eating rams? :huh (okey the last one was made up)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

actually...WHO WAS in Canada during the time that Rome takes place?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast