Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think was the safest place to live?

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

egh...id have to say the north pole as long as you have many woolies on. cos you have the protection of santa claus then :8

In the time of Rome? No major cities, that's for sure.

Especially if it wasn't a Roman city. Your non-Roman neighbour rebels, the Romans come and andrapodismos your ******. So basically, countryside somewhere in Southern Italy past Second Punic War.

Originally posted by BrutalDictatorship@Apr 1 2005, 10:54 PM
    actually...WHO WAS in Canada during the time that Rome takes place?
    Uhm, primitive indian civilizations like everywhere else in America I'd say.

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

I just read this somewhere, not sure if it was true, but apparently in some Celtic lands (Ireland/briton) much of the fighting was not that deadly. The armies would meet, but they wouldn't engage in full war; they would instead have one-on-one battles... One man would challenge the best of the other army, and they would fight, then another person would challenge someone else, ect. The victor was somehow decided from the results of these individual fights.

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Zuwxiv@Apr 1 2005, 06:31 PM
    I just read this somewhere, not sure if it was true, but apparently in some Celtic lands (Ireland/briton) much of the fighting was not that deadly. The armies would meet, but they wouldn't engage in full war; they would instead have one-on-one battles... One man would challenge the best of the other army, and they would fight, then another person would challenge someone else, ect. The victor was somehow decided from the results of these individual fights.
    Well then. hope to god you don't look tough....

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Or too scrawny...

"I challenge!... !.... um.... (looks at the ackward looking guy) HIM!"

Although I guess that in order to preserve honor you would want to challenge the greatest opponent you could. A worthy death is as good as a worthy life.

As far as death goes, Celtic peoples believed in reincarnation... The belief was so strong that often debts were put off until the next life.

Again, not sure if that is true, but pretty possible (I got it from a site about druidism and Celtic culture)

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Sweet!
    Taxman: Sir, please pay your taxes.
    Person: How about I owe pay you when I come back to life?
    Taxman: Very well sir.

Late Republic: Ostia
    Early Empire: Alexandria
    Mid Empire: Italica
    Late Empire: Londinium
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

just read this somewhere, not sure if it was true, but apparently in some Celtic lands (Ireland/briton) much of the fighting was not that deadly. The armies would meet, but they wouldn't engage in full war; they would instead have one-on-one battles... One man would challenge the best of the other army, and they would fight, then another person would challenge someone else, ect. The victor was somehow decided from the results of these individual fights.
    once the leader was killed it usally ended the battle although soome leaders decided to send their armies to clash indeed it was a very 1v1 fight warriors would call out their opponents in one ancient irish legends of cuchullian he foght hundreds of warriors in sucession 1v1 honour was a very big thing in celtic armies

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by Cliomhdubh@Apr 5 2005, 07:10 AM
    once the leader was killed it usally ended the battle although soome leaders decided to send their armies to clash indeed it was a very 1v1 fight warriors would call out their opponents in one ancient irish legends of cuchullian he foght hundreds of warriors in sucession 1v1 honour was a very big thing in celtic armies
    THats sounds exactly like how pre sengoku samurai's fought.

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

Originally posted by Eric@Mar 30 2005, 05:54 PM
    i'd say Capua it was a small coastal town a few miles south of Rome
    small coastal town! lol thats my capital at the start of my Brutii campaign!

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

Originally posted by Siblesz@Apr 2 2005, 11:08 PM
    cool! why?

Originally posted by {nF}remix+Apr 5 2005, 08:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> ({nF}remix &#064; Apr 5 2005, 08:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Siblesz@Apr 2 2005, 11:08 PM
    cool&#33; why? [/b][/quote]
    Port city next to Rome... didn&#39;t get the hassles of enduring the civil wars. (though it got sacked twice by Marius)

The city was a bastion of learning during this time. The Romans let it become pretty autonomous and some Roman laws didn&#39;t apply to the city. The early emperors also focused on Egypt for its immense wealth and for the fact that they didn&#39;t want to have another civil war over it. Philosophy, medicine, and science fluorished in the early empire Alexandria. The greatest Roman doctor, Galen, studied medicine in Alexandria where one could practice on real human bodies. He later developed procedures such as brain surgery and tooth replacement in a time where anestesia or modern knowledge of medicine was not known. Galen was a bit later during Marcus Aurelius&#39; reign (since he was his personal doctor), yet Alexandria remained a bastion of knowledge throughout the empire&#39;s course. This golden age peaking, of course, right after Augustus&#39; victory at Actium.

Hadrian and Trajan were born in this city. It was a city created by Scipio Africanus during the conquest of Carthaginian Iberia that was used for the families of generals in the campaign. After a while, the city became very romanized and a luxury of the rich. It was in the outskirts of Seville. Soon, the city became the new Pompeii. It was the "Bel Air" of Roman times for a while. The city did not experience any violence or invasion for about 350 years.

This was the last stable settlement of Rome. Since it was far from mainland Europe, during the times of Barbarian invasions starting in the 300s, Londinium became the safest and most prosperous town in Western Europe. Roman villas were constructed, and it was one of the few cities in the Western Roman Empire that actually INCREASED in size during Rome&#39;s decline. That all changed when the empire fell and the Saxons invaded, though.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

In 1979, some Canadian guy thought the world was going to hell and decided to move to the safest place on earth. After much study, he and his wife bought a sheep farm on ... the Falkland Islands, which the Argentines invaded several years later.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Nice one Sib, lead by example. Hopefully others will follow your repsonse. I am curious to see an explanation to why people say their choice is the safest.

My choice would be Ancient Egypt, before the first Assyrian invasion. For centuries Egypt was protected on almost all sides by natural barriers. Egypt was the aggressor and was rarely, if ever, majorly threatened until the Assyrians came and ruined the party. After that the desert did not provide them any protection and Egypt became like an expensive whore of other nations :grin .
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123