Thread: Suggestions for mini-reforms

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Default Suggestions for mini-reforms

With m2tw and more opportunities to implement Reforms and the such, what new reforms/events could we possible do?
    For now I have three very minor reforms in my head for the time being.

1. I read somewhere that in the EB timeframe, Sparta could only field like about 700 Spartans in one single unit. And that some king tried to reform the army to allow more people to be recruited, but had no luck with that.
    How about this: Make KH ably to only recruit sparitates with a very long
    cooldown time, and then make a reform that halves cooldown for spartiates and other elite units in Sparta? The requirements could be something like faction leader has to be spartan, have 10 influence and some uncoservative/innovative like trait.

2. reinstating the Sacred Band of Carthage

quoted from Wikipedia
    After its destruction in 310 BC, the "Sacred Band" disappears from historical record. When Carthaginian citizen infantry turn up in the historical sources during latter wars, their numbers are significantly higher implying a levy of all available citizens due to crisis. Larger citizen forces turned out at the Battle of Bagradas during the First Punic War, the Mercenary War, and the Third Punic War, but the "Sacred Band" is not mentioned in any of the surviving accounts we have of these wars.
    yes, It's wikipedia, so the EB team probably has some better source that say they where used after 310 since they are in the mod, but for a reform something like this? : Sacred band disabled from the start of the game, but when some Innovative Barcid FM come to Power, they become enabled?

Do any one have some other Ideas for reforms?
    Last edited by Smeel; December 28, 2008 at 06:46 AM.

Icon3 Re: Suggestions for mini-reforms

Quote Originally Posted by Smeel View Post
    2. reinstating the Sacred Band of Carthage

quoted from Wikipedia
    yes, It's wikipedia, so the EB team probably has some better source that say they where used after 310 since they are in the mod, but for a reform something like this? : Sacred band disabled from the start of the game, but when some Innovative Barcid FM come to Power, they become enabled?
    Actually, this is covered by the Sacred Band Infantry description (although there is a discrepancy with the date mentioned by Wikipedia).

The Sacred Band was a group of soldiers that were dedicated to Baal, the great father God of the Phoenician/Canaanite pantheon. They were all members of the nobility, and were called upon to fight their country’s wars as an elite unit that formed the right wing of the phalanx. They were all slaughtered in Sicily by the armies of Syracuse in the fifth century BC, but many records speak of an elite unit that fought on the right wing of the Phalanx long after their demise. Perhaps the Kart-hadastim simply did not wish to tempt fate with a name like the Sacred Band again…

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Suggestions for mini-reforms

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Actually, this is covered by the Sacred Band Infantry description (although there is a discrepancy with the date mentioned by Wikipedia).
    aaah sorry, I haven't played as Karthago at all, so I haven't read most of their unit descriptions. But still, that elite unt on the flank of the phalanx, wouldn't that be the elite african Infantry?

Icon3 Re: Suggestions for mini-reforms

The position on the right-wing flank of a Hellenic phalanx formation was generally taken by hoplites (hypaspists) rather than pike-men. Pike-men aren't very good at flank defence, after all. I suppose the Carthaginians would have done the same.

Antigenes's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Suggestions for mini-reforms

I would be interested in knowing more about the first suggestion: perhaps a Kleomenean-style reform could involve the creation of a new government type, a la the current Hayasdan and Pahlava reforms? It certainly deserves more than just the addition of a phalangial unit to the KH roster with the March of Time.
    Let them eat cock!