Thread: Cavalry suggestion

Default Cavalry suggestion

Greetings,

I might be wrong, but I've got the feeling that the increase in cavalry unit sizes has not been accompanied by a corresponding price increase - while this is probably an intentional balance shift in the mod, might I suggest the following:

reduce heavy cavalry numbers back to original (24), but increase attack(s) by 2, defense by 3 (+2 armor, +1 skill)
    increase light cavalry numbers to 36. Ridire are medium cavalry, and should use the same number of riders as light cavalry - at the moment they're extremely poor.

Dismounted cavalry units seem to have the above modifications to their attack and defense implemented - I do not quite understand why their statistics are better than mounted knights? I personally reduce their stats to the original knights' level while raising the mounted knights' values.

Just a friendly suggestion from a modder.

Default Re: Cavalry suggestion

I might be wrong, but I've got the feeling that the increase in cavalry unit sizes has not been accompanied by a corresponding price increase
    The cost of knights has already been increased, with the more heavily armoured knights getting the biggest increases.

reduce heavy cavalry numbers back to original (24), but increase attack(s) by 2, defense by 3 (+2 armor, +1 skill)
    increase light cavalry numbers to 36. Ridire are medium cavalry, and should use the same number of riders as light cavalry - at the moment they're extremely poor.
    Thanks but I am not interested in reducing the size of cavalry units. I prefer them how they were originally at 80 men.

Dismounted cavalry units seem to have the above modifications to their attack and defense implemented - I do not quite understand why their statistics are better than mounted knights? I personally reduce their stats to the original knights' level while raising the mounted knights' values.
    Dismounted knights stats are reset to exactly what they were at game release. More defensive points are put back into the actual armour instead of most of it being in the shield. This results is better balanced battles imo. A knight for instance attacked in the rear would rout almost as quickly as a spearmen. The way I see it the better armoured the unit the more harder they should be to break from a charge or any angle of attack.

I am not afraid to disagree with the changes that were made by CA in patch 1.2. I also have given +1 to unit defensive skill (has no defensive effect against arrows) and higher morale. This all helps to make battles more longer lasting and realistic. And does away with the instant rout battles that one would experience playing the original. I even believe that battles that last longer are harder to win. Because the changes in morale play a bigger part. This might be one thing that explains why battles are so tough in KGCM, its not just down to the BAI but the EDU.

thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; December 27, 2008 at 07:51 AM.

Well said. Good to see that most everything has been thought out - we can both follow our hearts in this.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Dave is correct, in his thinking about cavalry.

Morale is also the key, to battle..more than anyone may have imagined. Unfortunately, vanilla always gave a huge advantage to the human by default. So Battles were never "balanced". Morale is much more important than unit stats. This is why the human could win even a 2:1 match easily. or win 98% of all battles. Even against superior forces.

That is why, that was the first thing I fixed, in the XBAI..without balanced moral it would have been a pointless effort.

The only thing, I would change about cavalry is increasing the penetration of the horsed units slightly. But that is personal taste.
    Last edited by xeryx; December 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

I agree with dave and xeryx here. Cavalry works as well as it can in the M2TW engine. I also would like to see a bit more penetration as they run over the enemies line, LotR Rhohirrim style, but that is really about it.