Thread: Dublin, the city from hell.

Default Dublin, the city from hell.

I know this is a brutal mod, and i'm playing it on vh/vh with some house rules that are making it way harder (absolutely no save/reloads, no adoptions,) but I have been trying to take Dublin (im ireland) for the last thirty or so turns, and im finding it nearly impossible.
    I have virtually no economy, and have resorted to manipulating other factions to make enough money to raise about three half stacks, with which I've been forcing the english to make a string of pyhrric victories.
    It started like this- I thought that the only cities that got garrison via the script were capitals, so I attacked what I thought was a virtually empty dublin with a pitiful army and learned the hard way what those little asterisks mean. I ran away like a little baby, reformed my armies, and marched back on dublin, only to find the city empty again a few turns later. I attacked again, without thinking really, and another army spawned. It should have been ok, but before I could seige and take the city, the first garrison burst out of hiding in the northern woods and attacked.
    I wish I had screenshots, otherwise this is just a lot of me talking, but this was a very brutal battle in which I lost a good half of my men, but uttetly annhilated one army and routed, but failed to capture, most of the defenders of the city. With my economy in massive debt, my army rather in shambles, and the city still well defended, I sold england a ceasire for a good 10,000 and brooded for a good ten turns or so.
    Of course, in this time england raised another full stack, built a string of forts, and just kindof laughed in my face. But I raised an army, got my economy going, and enciicled dublin in a sort of pincher move.
    At around turn 40, all the english generals in ireland were hanging out in a fort that protected dublin from the south- probably having some sort of debased english orgy, and I killed them all. Dublin itself was almost empty- I know how 2 1/2 full stacks, and two of them I moved as close as I could, where they could strike next turn. The 1/2 stack I could only move so far as the bride, and I left them their for bait- which another of those creepy, come from nowehre english full stacks.
    With my catapults and maxed out dread king, they stood no chance, and as they charged across the bridge they pretty much routed as soon as as men even looked at them. As this was the last English force of any consquence in England, I really needed to defeat them. And I did so, utterly- yet while almost their entire army flew, my general and king got annhilated by a 'friendly' catapult which I had forgot to turn off. Without any cavarly, a good 1200 men out of 1600 made it out the battlefield, and promplty retreated an insane distnace into dublin. The city went probably about 8 units (after garrison script) to about 18, and this is on huge unit sizes, so sieges are horrible. (I had it on by accident.)
    Ah well, I moved my 2 1/2 stacks in, seiged the city, and let the defenders starved for a good three turns. I was just about to begin the assualt when some english boats pulled up. I watched in hour as two almost full stacks of enlish disembarked, and proceded to force me to withdraw the seige. By the next turn, the army in dublin had gone from a half flag to a full one, and their are two near full stacks of english just hanging out, daring me to attack.
    Goddam english.

Default Re: Dublin, the city from hell.

Well there is a garrison script which is more meant to help Ireland, not england. I would disable it for for Dublin if you are playing as ireland. Don't feel bad about doing so, it gets much much harder. Even if you do manage to take the island, you likely won't keep it for long.

The trick as Ireland is to go on a full rush very early before England builds up. I usually pull together almost all my men from Galway and Donegal, leaving a small garrison, or taking all men and recruit a unit of archers in each castle, and make one full stack to move on Dublin. When they arrive at Dublin I have them siege the city and wait. From Cork, I empty the entire garrison, put a unit of ceitherne or deisi javelins for the new garrison, and attack Wexford. This army arrives at turn 2 and has a catapult, so I attack immediately. By turn 3, the Dublin siege should be in affect, and I move my army from Wexford, leaving a unit back for garrison, up to Dublin. At this point I have almost every unit focuses on Dublin. I then attack with seige equipment from my main Galway-Donegal army, and my catapults from Wexford, and easily outnumber and overwhelm Dublin. At this point convert Dongeal and/or Galway to a city for extra income, and slowly build you economy until you are ready to attack whomever you want.

_Belisarius_'s Avatar Libertus

I could never play as ireland. I fell too hemmed in at the top corner of the map.. Each his own spose~
    "Gloria Romanorum"

Are the G.script units confined to the settlement, or can they move around freely after a successful defense?

Also, does the G.script always trigger(every 5 turns) or is it only activated when the human player is laying siege?

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Garrison script only triggers when the settlement comes under siege.

Then garrison can leave the city after the siege is lifted, and functions just like any other stack of troops

Okay, thank you.
    Does the Garrison script trigger, only when a human player is laying siege, or does it also trigger when a computer controlled faction besieges a city of another computer controlled faction?
    Vulfgar

The Garrison script always trigger when the settlement comes under siege. But only for the nation who hold the city at the beginning of the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Hxr030771 View Post
    The Garrison script always trigger when the settlement comes under siege. But only for the nation who hold the city at the beginning of the campaign.
    Thanks
    Vulfgar

Hi Vulfgar, I remember you from my days on the totalwarforums.

Good to see you here my friend. I hope you enjoy my mod
    AKA Bossdave

Thats not an entirely accurate description of how the garrison script works in KGCM. For capital cities the counter will be set to 7. Which means if you attack an AI settlement it cannot raise another garrison for 7 turns! Then there is a counter of 9 for additional settlements with the garrison script i.e Krak de Chevaliers.

Dave

Ah o.k., thanks for the correction...

Koljan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    Hi Vulfgar, I remember you from my days on the totalwarforums.

Good to see you here my friend. I hope you enjoy my mod
    AKA Bossdave

Thats not an entirely accurate description of how the garrison script works in KGCM. For capital cities the counter will be set to 7. Which means if you attack an AI settlement it cannot raise another garrison for 7 turns! Then there is a counter of 9 for additional settlements with the garrison script i.e Krak de Chevaliers.

Dave
    Wait, you mean to say it also works if AI attacks Human?

Hello Dave, and thank you very much for the welcome back

As a matter of fact I haven't come down to actually playing your mod yet.
    I have only recently come back to TW and only yesterday did I buy a comp which will be able to play the game on more than minimum settings.
    That said, then I choose your mod due to it's focus on game mechanics, as well as all the 'nice stuff aka units, factions etc.' Because in the end, it's the gameplay which is the most important for me.
    Vulfgar

Wait, you mean to say it also works if AI attacks Human?
    No way man, this only works for the AI.

Dave