Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MA - Suggestions, Comments, Discussion

Default Re: MA Open Beta - Suggestions and Comments

What are the odds of the Spartans of 336 BC popping up?
    Eh, not sure really. There will be some special Spartan units at least for the rebels.

Good news:
    The Hotfix has been put together.

Bad news:
    Half of it doesn't work.

The 12 TPY script isn't deploying properly, but I'm trying to figure it out. Shouldn't be long now.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3 View Post
    Eh, not sure really. There will be some special Spartan units at least for the rebels.
    Great. Should make Sparta a bit more of an accomplishment upon conquest.
    Good news:
    The Hotfix has been put together.

Bad news:
    Half of it doesn't work.

The 12 TPY script isn't deploying properly, but I'm trying to figure it out. Shouldn't be long now.
    We'll be here, ready and waiting to put those Persians in their place.

Thanks to HouseOfHam, the script works. Gotta pack it up and get it to you guys.

Installed the hotfix. No issues with Sardis and the 12-TPY script is working perfectly so far.

Just out of curiosity, are you taking any suggestions for new units in future update patches?

Sure, I can take some suggestions. This is the thread for them.

--- Units ---
    More regional mercs/AoRs ~ These would definitely add flavor to recruiting (especially some Italic mercs/AoRs in southern Italy and Sicily). I suggest checking out Paeninsula Italica for some possible choices, as that mod also starts in 336 BC, if my memory serves correctly.
    Edit: Well, PI actually starts in 338 BC, but I doubt there were any major military reforms in Italy between 338 and 336.

EB-style spear Hypaspists ~ I've always found these guys much more fun and enjoyable, especially more than those awful javelin-throwing legionary-ripoff monstrosities from vanilla Alexander.

Different classes of units ~ It would be nice having the options of Hypaspists and Agema Hypaspists or levy, regular, and elite phalangites

Archers ~ As previously mentioned, these guys would be useful (with Cretans maybe recruitable in Knossos).

Spartans ~ We just gotta have some Spartans to face off against when attacking Sparta (and maybe even recruit after conquering her...).

--- Other Suggestions ---
    Speaking of Hypaspists, the ones presently in-game could use a tiny boost in armor/defense stats. They seem to die way too quickly for me (I'm currently playing on VE/Medium, just to feel things out).

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head.

just a comment i can not download wy

wy? And what can't you download, the main mod or the hotfix? If it is the main mod, which mirror are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    --- Units ---
    More regional mercs/AoRs ~ These would definitely add flavor to recruiting (especially some Italic mercs/AoRs in southern Italy and Sicily). I suggest checking out Paeninsula Italica for some possible choices, as that mod also starts in 336 BC, if my memory serves correctly.
    More of these are going in when I find appropriate units. And I've already got some PI units.

EB-style spear Hypaspists ~ I've always found these guys much more fun and enjoyable, especially more than those awful javelin-throwing legionary-ripoff monstrosities from vanilla Alexander.
    I like these style of Hypaspists as well but we do know that the Hypaspists did act as Peltast sometimes. I may include both kinds.

Different classes of units ~ It would be nice having the options of Hypaspists and Agema Hypaspists or levy, regular, and elite phalangites
    I may have 2 kinds of Hypaspists, but Alexander only had the Pezhetairoi, no levy or elite variations.

Archers ~ As previously mentioned, these guys would be useful (with Cretans maybe recruitable in Knossos).
    I'm doing these ones.

Spartans ~ We just gotta have some Spartans to face off against when attacking Sparta (and maybe even recruit after conquering her...).
    Of course there will be Spartans, what do you think this is, a Macedonia mod?

--- Other Suggestions ---
    Speaking of Hypaspists, the ones presently in-game could use a tiny boost in armor/defense stats. They seem to die way too quickly for me (I'm currently playing on VE/Medium, just to feel things out).
    All unit stats will be redone when the new units are in.

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head.
    Please post if you get more.

Alexander only had the Pezhetairoi, no levy or elite variations.
    He had the Silvershields, alternatively known as Argyraspides.

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/LX/Argyraspides.html
    http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Argyraspides
    Please post if you get more.
    Will do.

And on another note, Thebes was razed to the ground shortly before the starting date. Should it really be on the map? Maybe it would be a good idea to rename the settlement there to something else?

And about the loading screens...They're great, but the ones with Roman legionaries on them seem out of place.

hi i meant the full mod and bode mirrors.

Wierd. Maybe you have a firewall or have overshot your bandwidth usage? Can anyone else tell me if they're having problems?

Can anyone else tell me if they're having problems?
    Not me. Aside from the 12TPY script not working right for me (check tech help thread for that), everything's peachy.

AMBASZ's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: MA - Suggestions, Comments, Discussion

First of all: fantastic work!

Is it possible to ad certain traits/ancs example: Satrap of Sardis, Chiliarch, Olympian, etc...?
    I don't know if this is possible with 1.9

The data file download is that the hotfix?

Yep, the date file is the hotfix. And it should be entirely possible to add new traits and ancs, but ATM they're not a pressing matter. Not too mention I absolutely hate doing them.

The Colonel's Avatar Biarchus

Pretty darn solid mod, all you really need as mentioned is just the minor fixes, new units, etc. BTW, great map, absolutely love it.

CE works in a mod with the same name xDDD :

http://caballerosdeeuropa.foroactivo...total-war-f65/

RM3, I think a generic Greek faction will do good to this mod, better as a non-playable faction friendly to Persia. This will introduce some diversity in Macs gameplay (certainly on battlefield): fighting classical Greek hoplite armies, spiced up by peltats and some cavalry, is more fun. Many nice units will make it to the game. RM3, would you also consider moving game some years earlier to include that period when Alexander had to pacify south Greece and Illyria personally?

Anyway, Thrace and Illyria could form much more of a threat early in the game, that would require Alexander's attention (in Illyria, in particular). Starting game with a nice clash with Illyrians will be nice.

Speaking of Illyrians, they seem too barbaric and too generic. Any plans to refresh their unit roster and reflect both gallic and hellenic influence (besides traditional peltats and some gallic units, some (more hellenic) cavalry, hoplites, etc).

Finally, I guess the recruitment of Macs units should be limited to Macedonia and a few settlements around Macedonia and some coastal (hellenic) cities in Anatolia and Egypt. Furthermore, recruitment of elites, like companions and hypapists should be possible in homeland only. This will reflect stretched supply lines. I am not sure about extended AOR barracks to compensate for that, I guess it would be easier to control the level of challenge the game presents by distributing a limited number of merc units (local and greek) ready for direct hiring in lands in which Macs cannot build barracks. Alternatively, expensive and too-long-to-build AOR barracks could be an option as well.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; February 17, 2009 at 03:06 AM.

Pretty much everything you listed is having some action taken. All the factions are getting new units for the next release, and we're introducing 2/3 factions to the campaign. The year is being turned back to right when Alexander became King, so the Greek States, Illyria, and the Thracians are giving you trouble. At the Illyrian roster, see above. New units.

Also the economy and building recruitment fashion is all going to be looked at and made better. Remember this version out now is a stepping stone upon which we could go one step further to a (near as possible) perfect Alexander campaign. The balancing is not perfect on this, and is rather the exact same as vanilla. But this will/should all change for the next version barring some horrible catastrophe.

I'm wondering... I've been thinking about taking this mod into my AAR. I started to play it, but I noticed that Alexander starts with the age of 20 in 336 BC, and in 335 BC, that means 12 turns later, he is 23? Unfortunatley such things make it impossible to play this mod RP wise.

Or is this just a bug?

There are many problems with the 12 TPY script that has been released, but I'm hoping to fix this soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast