Thread: AHH! Help me!

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

My explorer.exe is taking up 32,000 K of memory usage! Last night, it was only taking up 11,000!

See, I have 1024 MB of Memory right? Well, all of those processes take up memory. It seems like explorer.exe and tmproxy.exe take up the most.

Well, last night, I had about 700 MB of memory left for games and/or other things and my explorer.exe was at about 11,000 and my tmproxy.exe was at like 8,000.

Today, I only have about 540 MB of memory left and my explorer.exe is taking up 32,000 and tmproxy.exe is taking up a whopping 38,000.

Also this morning, my comp started up slow in the BIOS when it shouldnt. I scanned for viruses, deleted them, but my explorer.exe and tmproxy.exe is still way too high in the memory usage.

Any idea how I can lower these back down to what they SHOULD be? It also seems that when I empty my recycle bin, the memory usage for explorer.exe goes up. Why is that?

And if you want to find your processes, just hit CONTROL+ALT+DELETE, go to "Processes", and there you go. Go under "Perforamce" to see how much memory you have available.

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Oh, and last night, when it was 11,000, I deleted like 30 files that were in my recycle bin, and then it went up to like 15,000.

Now today, its 32,000.

Maybe it has something to do with the recycle bin?

Hrm imo it's quite normal that explorer uses 32 mb - it always does at my pc
    It depends on how many screens you've opened - if there are photo album thumbnails loaded and so on
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

The only thing I have loaded up right now is my Mozilla.

And when I have it closed, it's still 32,000.

Its REALLY hard to play games when I only have 500 MB of memory. Thats like half of what I really have, which is 1024.

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

Try going to "start" then "run" and type "msconfig" then click on the "startup" tab. In here you will find everything that loads up when you start the computer and runs in the background. Uncheck everything except your anti-virus and anything you might want to run in the background. Almost everything in there takes up memory and resources and is not needed to run in the back ground.

Did you also run your anti-virus multiple times? Sometimes when you find and remove viruses others that where being suppressed by the other viruses startup. Also try some online virus scans. Not all Anti-virus programs will find all the viruses and some other will find ones that the other did not.

It could just be to many programs running in the background.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

I did virus scan, spyware scan, ad-aware scan, and registry mechanic. Nothing more found.

And yes, I already disabled all of the stuff I dont need starting up.

Its that that explorer.exe and tmproxy.exe that is taking up way too much of my memory usage. I dont even know what tmproxy.exe is and have no idea what explorer.exe is doing to take up 32,000 when it only used to take up 11,000.

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

The system I have at work usually uses around 11,000 - 16,000. Something is cuasing it to use up to 32,000.

Try this disable everything in msconfig and make sure you are diconnected from the internet(if you have broadband). Then restart and see if there is any difference. Take note of what you had enabled before you make the changes.

If the usage goes down then it was something that was running. Then turn each one on one at a time. and see if the usage goses up when it is turned on. If ity does go up then that is the one cuasing the problem.

If it still has a high usage after everything is disabled then it is going to be hard to find what is cuasing this higher usage.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Those values are normal for explorer. It depends much on what you have open and the amount of garbage in your desktop (it's like a permanent expoler window open always loaded in memory). But even with explorer taking 32 mb i still fail to see how you only have 500 mb for games. Can you post a list of running processes and used memory?

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

hey dude..... I opened 5 IE and 1 Firefox (while writing this post)

firefox using 14K
    IE are 13K, 29K and 41K

Well, explorer isnt the ONLY process running.

In total, I have 40 processes running. And the sad thing is, some of those I NEED on. Like my sound card thing, Asus Probe, explorer.exe (duh), and loads others.

With all of those running, I have about 500 MB left for gaming when my total is 1024. So 40 processes take up half of my memory.

well, mine is more than 60 process.......

for gaming, usually I switch off internet and then running games with 650MB rams..... it's fine

Here are my current running processes:

http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&ima...rocesses1mj.jpg

And here is my avaiable memory:

http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&ima...lememory0qg.jpg

My memory WAS about 540, until I ended my antivir processes and program. But still, that tmproxy.exe is taking up WAY too much, and so is explorer. What is tmproxy.exe anyway? A few days ago it was down to like only 20,000. Now 38,000?

Maybe thats the reason my computer suddenly starts up slower than usual. Before it took about 5 seconds for my computer to get to the desktop. Now it takes 5 minutes.