Thread: Seleucids ally with Free Peoples?

Default Seleucids ally with Free Peoples?

Hi, I just started playing this mod and I love it.

However, I'm quite sure one isn't supposed to be able to ally with free peoples, who are basically rebels right? A few turns ago I read an "Alliance Announced" with The Seleucid Empire declaring an alliance with Free Peoples.

Shortly after that I finally noticed the "house rules" scroll (doh) where it said I should have autosaves off. Might that have to do with it?

If its just a one off phenomenon, how can I remove the alliance?

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Seleucids ally with Free Peoples?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmarius View Post
    Hi, I just started playing this mod and I love it.

However, I'm quite sure one isn't supposed to be able to ally with free peoples, who are basically rebels right? A few turns ago I read an "Alliance Announced" with The Seleucid Empire declaring an alliance with Free Peoples.

Shortly after that I finally noticed the "house rules" scroll (doh) where it said I should have autosaves off. Might that have to do with it?

If its just a one off phenomenon, how can I remove the alliance?
    First of all welcome to the forum.

There are two 'slave' factions - factions can ally with one of them (I presume that's the 'free peoples' faction you refer to).

Autosave has nothing to do with this - it's know to sometimes corrupt saves.

If you are not the Seleucids then you can't. If you are playing the Seleucids simply tell them that you're breaking the alliance using a diplomat.

Also, 'House Rules' are not compulsory. They are there to slow down the expansion of the player to make the game more of a challenge. Players use a variety of 'house rules' - I am a fairly cautious player so I usually don't need to 'not expand for x years'. My main house rule is to not start a war (even after a ceasefire).
    Last edited by Brusilov; December 22, 2008 at 06:36 AM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Thank you for your answer. Turns out my question was quite stupid then Although I did have a memory of sending a diplomat to free peoples and only having the option to "bribe" them.

How necessary do you consider the hosue rule about not expanding for x years? How steeply does it alter the difficulty?

I did have a memory of sending a diplomat to free peoples and only having the option to "bribe" them.
    That was the 'slave' faction then, not the Free Peoples; you can conduct diplomacy with the Free Peoples (although personally I only trade with them; since they represent a variety of tribes and nations it doesn't seem right to ally with them...)

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmarius View Post
    How necessary do you consider the hosue rule about not expanding for x years? How steeply does it alter the difficulty?
    It gives the AI time to build up and expand ready for your onslaught!

I think with some factions (Syracuse (2 settlements), Pontus (2 settlements), Pergamom (1 settlement), Getae (2 settlements) and the Cimmerian Bosphorans (2 settlements) some expansion makes sense as it's very hard to build up an economy with a single settlement.

If you play one of the larger factions (Rome or Carthage) you can easily keep the existing settlements and start building your economy.

But it's up to you to decide if the game without house rules is too easy for you.

If you have a look at some of the AARs you will find a variety of house rules that are set out (some house rules have to be abandoned as they restrict the player too much).

It's up to you to decide how to get enjoyment out of the game!

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here