Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway

Internazionale's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway

Brothers in Arms
    Hell's Highway

Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway is an tactical first person shooter that takes place in Operation Market Garden during World War II, which is renowned as the largest airborne operation in WWII, actually ever.

It is developed by Gearbox Software and published by Ubisoft.

I have been playing this game for 2 days.
    This is also my first review and my longest and possibly best post ever
    My Specs:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    CPU AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Chace Socket AM2 BOXED fan
    RAM 2 x Kingston ValueR DDR2 PC5300 667 Mhz 1024MB CL5
    Motherboard
    Asus M2A-VM AMD 690G Socket-AM2 m-ATX, DVI, DDR2, PCI-Ex16
    HDD
    Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB Buffer Size 7200RPM GPU Xpertvision VGA-Card nVidia 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 RAM PCI-Express DVI, TV-out
    Power Supply 350W ATX 20/24pin, 80mm fan
    OS Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 32Bit

The Story: The game put you in the boots of Staff Sergeant Matt Baker, which is the squad leader in the game. As the game goes on Matt seems to be suffering from some form of Post traumatic stress disorder, which makes him hallucinate and see Pfc. Kevin Benjamin Leggett's ghost in some parts of the game. I won't talk too much about the story, as its best to experience it for yourself.
    Matt takes the death of his fellow comrades very hard, and is seen upon as dramatic by others in his squad.

Staff Sergeant. Matthew "Matt" Baker

Matt got an engraved Colt 1911 with the words "To Matthew, Brothers in Arms" on its slide.
    The pistol was said to be cursed because everyone who had it, died with it on them, including Matt's own father.
    Matthew is the only one who seem to survive, which may be because it has his name on it.

The game has a deep storyline that sucks you in, and great dialogue. It feels just like an movie.

The Gameplay: The Brothers in Arms series has been known for its good AI, tactical elements and its good storyline. Hell's Highway is no different. The AI is deadly and smart, and will use the surrounding environments to its advantage. Often you will find yourself pinned down, but here is where the tactical elements comes in. You have to use your men to their full potential if you wish to win. The game also has a wide selection of weapons. You can pick up weapons from fallen enemies.
    Some of the most standard tactics involve telling your teams to fire upon an enemy position while you work your way around their flank.

Flanking the 88'

Theres a lot of destructable envoriment as well, but not too much. I like it this way, then it doesn't become like Battlefield : Bad Company where houses can almost completely destroyed. The games cover system is one of the games greatest strenghts. Its heavily inspired by Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas. But its balanced in a way that it doesn't become too easy nor impossible to kill enemies.

But speaking of the AI, it seems as even if you sneak silent as the night around the German flanks, they magically spot you and fill your groin with led. Also I discovered that the AI almost never use grenades, and when you throw grenades at them they just stay where they are and get blown into oblivion.

An unlucky German soldier gets blown back to Germany

The Graphics: Hell's Highway utilizes a modified Unreal 3 Engine. Most reviewers say the game has outdated graphics, but I disagree. Even on low graphical settings, the game looks great with detailed enviroment and good use of visual focus which only increases the experience. Its a feast for the eyes, fireworks of effects and pretty colours. But the textures look bad, and I think they could have been done way better.

The Audio: There is nothing bad here, except that the *ping* sound when the empty clip ejects while using the M1 Garand. You can barely hear it, even if you aren't in the midst of a firefight. I personally think that the fact that they decided to exclude music is a mistake. Gearbox Software should at least have include an option like most games, if you would have music enabled or not. Music only improves the experience.

The Multiplayer: *Will be written at a later time, have to try it first.

Overall: This game has a great story, great graphics, good sounds and great gameplay. What else can you ask for? However I wouldn't say this game is revolutionary, but there is not many games that can match the BiA series. This game is a MUST buy, the best of the series (I have not tried the earlier BiA games so I should be more careful expressing my opinions) and I recommend it to people who share my love for World War 2 games

Other: Sorry if there were any gramatic errors, spelling mistakes etc. English is not my mother tongue

Rating: A weak 9 out of 10 or 91 %

Last edited by Internazionale; December 02, 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Default Re: Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway Review

a good review for a good game

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Thanks

Campidoctor

The Demo stank so I am not getting it.

Well the game is better. It also helps if you have a good computer.

This game got many bad reviews but it is fantastic. Mainstream reviewers were disproportionately harsh on it simply because it was a different sort of shooter from COD4. I'm glad to see a good review.

Yep, you are so right. I think its under-rated.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

It is a great game. Nothing spectacular in terms of graphics but still very good. The environments could be much more destructible, the germans could be more detailed and the solo missions are crap. Tactically its great and the slow-mo in headshots and explosions awesome!
    Perfect for WW2 fans.
    I enjoyed every single minute and still am. I hope there will be another game set in the Ardennes or something ...
    --------------Arengada--------------

There are rumors that the next game in the series will be set in the Ardenne Forest/Offensive

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Hope they'll release it within the next decade... :p
    --------------Arengada--------------

I am sure it will be next year, so don't you worry

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    When Legget says "How do you feel about snow?" at the end of the game, it's a direct refrence to the Ardennes and Bastogne. Unless the company goes bankrupt, a sequel in the Ardennes is definately getting made.

Good review. I loved this game, although it seemed a bit short.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

There are rumors that the next game in the series will be set in the Ardenne Forest/Offensive
    It almost definitely will be.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Almogaver View Post
    It is a great game. Nothing spectacular in terms of graphics but still very good. The environments could be much more destructible, the germans could be more detailed and the solo missions are crap. Tactically its great and the slow-mo in headshots and explosions awesome!
    Perfect for WW2 fans.
    I enjoyed every single minute and still am. I hope there will be another game set in the Ardennes or something ...
    I agreegood review

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Good review, although I don't agree about it.

Generally, I find the game is a disappoint; no improvement in any form compare with Earn in Blood, and the storyline is damn boring.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

i thought the game sucked horribly. but thats my own opinion
    You look great today.

Well I have not tried the earlier BiA games. I bought Earned in Blood and tried to install that as well but I couldn't make it work.
    Maybe because I have Vista? I heard that Earned in Blood had troubles working properly on Vista.

Its hard for me to review the game when I haven't tried the earlier games in the series. Maybe if I tried them first I would've had a different view on this game.
    Last edited by Internazionale; December 02, 2008 at 09:01 AM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Yes, you should do that.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Niice review (+rep)

The BiA series is one of the most overlooked successful franchises out there, it's always been in the shadows of the more mainstream titles of the Call of Duty caliber. What I like about it is that it has everything I like - a solid storyline, realistic characters, military tactics, and a slower more "think before you shoot" kind of tone.

I find that with people these games are either a hit or a miss...I've found that most people I know who've tried the games (including this one) are just way to ADD to not be running and gunning all the time and thus they think it's "boring" or in other cases they won't really understand the concept of tactics and thus get killed every 5 minutes, get frustrated and never play the game again (what my roommate did).
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Editors choice? I might look into it... my buddy has a previous brothers in arms and he tells me its mediocre- but by this I think other wise. Thanks for the review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast