Thread: Few questions concerning RS

Default Few questions concerning RS

Hey I just had a few questions/ suggestions concerning RS and RS2.

First of all, would it be possible to enable a legionary cohort to form a wedge formation? I dont know whether work is being done on this in RS2 but it would be realistic if it could be implemented.

Secondly, I think the stamina/ endurance of legionary cohorts should be increased, since the romans always swapped ranks during battle, so that no person fought longer than say 6 minutes.

Last of all, a good fort system would drastically enhance gameplay as well as realism while playing with Rome. There should be a marching camp, with ditches, I believe the SPQR mod has such a marching camp. These camp are buildable in enemy as well as in friendly territory. But aside from the marching camp, there should be a more permanent fort, with scalable walls. This fort should only be buildable in friendly territory, just like the watchtowers. This would make people use forts far more often, and would create more realism, since a great deal of the roman war machine included defending the massive borders of the empire.

I hope these suggestions are useful in any way.

Gladius99

Default Re: Few questions concerning RS

I think the legionaries in wedge formation has been discussed on these forums before, but short of making the cohort unit a 'cavalry' unit, it can't form wedge.

As for the forts, I'm not sure if it would even be possible to have two different types of forts you could build.. But I'm no modder, so I couldn't answer that for you..

♦♦♦♦▲♦♦♦♦
    ♦♦♦▲▲♦♦♦
    ♦♦▲ • ▲♦♦
    ♦▲▲ ▲▲♦

On the issue of forts, there is an interesting discussion here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211619

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

We've experimented with wedges but I don't think we can get them working, sadly.

Agree about stamina -- giving all legion units 'hardy' or 'very hardy' would make sense.

Far as I know only one type of fort can be used, you can't split them.

Ok thanks for your quick replies

It's a pity that you can't have 2 types of forts. I do think that having forts with scalable walls would be better since people will actually use them. The vanilla forts in RS 1.5 are simply not worth the effort, or at least that is my opinion.

Although it does then help prevent the inevitable siege total war.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

the only way to get 2 forts is to swap the watchtower for the 2nd variation, whether that's possible, i don't know
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

Maybe You could Make the temporary fort have the properties of a watch tower but habitation isn't required, (as in, if you leave a for empty it is taken down) but also if you want you can place a small garrison to defend the watchtower which can be taken over by the enemy and used against you, even in your own territory. hmm....

Then have the permanent fort replace the original fort at the top of the scroll?
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.
    ‘Strategy is the art of making use of Time and Space,’ wrote the Emperor”

-from the Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler, Pages 161-162

I'm pretty sure that watchtowers can be can be used against you in your own territory as long as an enemy stands on top of it.. I noticed that when the AI does that on one of my watchtowers I can no longer see from it..

But I do wonder if you could replace the watchtower with another fort, like you said.. That would be pretty cool

♦♦♦♦▲♦♦♦♦
    ♦♦♦▲▲♦♦♦
    ♦♦▲ • ▲♦♦
    ♦▲▲ ▲▲♦

it's a bit closer to reality as well - you'd have to have men IN the watchtower and riders to dispatch information back to the nearest military installation... i like this idea. i just don't think either should be permanent - i.e. if you abandon either, it should take a while for them to disappear, but they should. The stone one should last longer, and the smaller wooden one not so much.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

I don't think it's possible -- units don't 'enter' a watchtower, so even if you turn the strat model into a fort, how do you get units into it?

Is there a way to make it so that if a unit gets into a battle on it the battle map is a fort? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyways..

♦♦♦♦▲♦♦♦♦
    ♦♦♦▲▲♦♦♦
    ♦♦▲ • ▲♦♦
    ♦▲▲ ▲▲♦

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Personally, I only use forts to 'block' natural bottlenecks and usually only have a cheap unit in them. I prefer field battles. I usually have a 'roaming' army that looks after an area to deal with rebels and any invasions. There are enough siege battles if that's what you really want.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I agree about the field battles.. I avoid sallying out like the plague.. However I leave any legions within my borders in a camp. If they're campaigning in foreign territory, I usually won't unless it's to block a bridge or a mountain pass

♦♦♦♦▲♦♦♦♦
    ♦♦♦▲▲♦♦♦
    ♦♦▲ • ▲♦♦
    ♦▲▲ ▲▲♦

i've seen in sone sceershots that at the bottom of the screen there were onely the unit cards and and the battle map and bottons on top of the screen....how can i get/do this .thanks

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by apulum View Post
    i've seen in sone sceershots that at the bottom of the screen there were onely the unit cards and and the battle map and bottons on top of the screen....how can i get/do this .thanks

In the 'preferences.txt' file change "MINIMAL_UI:FALSE" to "MINIMAL_UI:TRUE".

I'd also suggest that you set up control keys for game speed as these are not available on the command panel in minimal UI. From the options menu select 'control keys'.

In-game you can toggle the three interfaces using the PF5 (unit cards), PF6 (command keys) and PF7 (radar map). They all go on/off but PF6 also allows it to be set up to be hidden but revealed when the cursor goes near it.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

thanks BRUSILOV

i know vh/vh is easier than h/vh,i'm plaing the greeks on h/vh,am at war with macedon.when i plaied the greeks on vh/vh,was at war with macedon,the AI sent full armies/good soldiers,now on h/vh the ai attackes me with small weak armies,when i besiege a city the ai sends un army but will not attack.(turn48)

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by apulum View Post
    i know vh/vh is easier than h/vh,i'm plaing the greeks on h/vh,am at war with macedon.when i plaied the greeks on vh/vh,was at war with macedon,the AI sent full armies/good soldiers,now on h/vh the ai attackes me with small weak armies,when i besiege a city the ai sends un army but will not attack.(turn48)
    No two campaigns, even at the same difficulty level will play out the same.

You should also EDIT the previous post rather than add a new post - the previous one was on 45 minutes before and no-one else posted to the thread.